Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Homer

SB95: which offset fork?

I've purchased a Large SB95A and am comtemplating the choice...

It will be a RS Pike 140mm Solo Air, however; this fork is avaible in both 48 and 51mm offset.

What is the way to go?
    [SIZE=1]Need optics for DIY bike lights? [/SIZE][SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If it makes you feel any better, I went with the 51mm offset Pike. Except I went 150mm It's been a great fit thus far.

SB95: which offset fork?-img_3209.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    + 2 on the 51 mm offset , it makes the steering feel light and quick with the shorter trail number.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey Colin, what is the weight of your SB as it is set up in your pic?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    28 lbs give or take an ounce. I don't have it setup exactly like that anymore so I'm going of memory. I sent the CCDBair back before I even rode it because that was right when they announced the climb switch version, so I'll wait for that one.

I can tell you that switching back to the stock Fox shock and with Rocket Ron 2.25 SS Tubeless it weighs 27.09 pounds ready to rip.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks, i've got a similar setup coming, sram XO1/XX!, Enve AM. Thinking about a thomson dropper.

Root Master
    Colin, a few questions for you.

Regarding the 51mm offset Pike, have you noticed any decrease in stability with the change? Also, why did you opt for the 150mm versus the 140mm?

I'm running a 2013 140mm Fox CTD currently and find myself wishing (often) that the bike steered better in the tight twisty stuff on my local trails. I've also read that the A-C measurement on the Pike is less than the Fox so I was thinking that the 140mm Pike with 51 mm offset would steepen things just enough to improve the steering.
    Join the Tribe...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well, long story short, I had pre-ordered both a 140mm and 150mm so I had the benefit of having both in my hands to compare. I pulled my Fox 34 140mm out and lined them all up. What I found was surprising as my Fox was the tallest A-C of them all. Also surprising was that the 140mm and 150mm Pikes weighed the same at 4.3 lbs. So, I figured that if I've been riding around for months on the Fox 34 and it's taller than the Pike 150mm...why not. In regards to the 140mm, it was around 17mm shorter than what I've been riding so I thought it might be too drastic of a change and since it weighed the same as the 150mm...why not

What I found is that the Pike is 100x a better fork than the Fox. Very plush and supple, uses all the travel yet doesn't dive and bob when out of the saddle and while braking. The absolute best fork I've had the pleasure of riding.

You have the same Fox as I had, don't hesitate in getting the Pike. It's that good. Night and day difference.

Root Master
    So I can have more travel and the front end won't be as high?

Mind blown
    Join the Tribe...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Well, long story short, I had pre-ordered both a 140mm and 150mm so I had the benefit of having both in my hands to compare. I pulled my Fox 34 140mm out and lined them all up. What I found was surprising as my Fox was the tallest A-C of them all. Also surprising was that the 140mm and 150mm Pikes weighed the same at 4.3 lbs. So, I figured that if I've been riding around for months on the Fox 34 and it's taller than the Pike 150mm...why not. In regards to the 140mm, it was around 17mm shorter than what I've been riding so I thought it might be too drastic of a change and since it weighed the same as the 150mm...why not

What I found is that the Pike is 100x a better fork than the Fox. Very plush and supple, uses all the travel yet doesn't dive and bob when out of the saddle and while braking. The absolute best fork I've had the pleasure of riding.

You have the same Fox as I had, don't hesitate in getting the Pike. It's that good. Night and day difference.
    Finally pulled the trigger on a 150mm today.

Root Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Finally pulled the trigger on a 150mm today.
    What offset did you go with? The 51 or the standard?
    Join the Tribe...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I got the 51mm mainly because I had the Fox before it, which is 51mm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNeener View Post
    So I can have more travel and the front end won't be as high?

Mind blown
    Wait til you ride it, then you really will have your mind blown

Root Master
    Out of curiosity, I called Yeti this morning and, for what it's worth, they said to go with the standard version of the fork.
    Join the Tribe...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What made you choose the Solo Air over Dual Position?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by addATX View Post
    What made you choose the Solo Air over Dual Position?
    Personally, I don't see the point. I ride a Tallboy LTc, but I'm sure this applies to the Yeti, too: A well designed ~5" travel 29er should climb well without having to lower the fork. I've found this to be the case, in general. I think for suspension designs that tend to wallow when climbing, a lowered fork is more useful, but I wouldn't ride a bike that wallows when climbing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Personally, I don't see the point. I ride a Tallboy LTc, but I'm sure this applies to the Yeti, too: A well designed ~5" travel 29er should climb well without having to lower the fork. I've found this to be the case, in general. I think for suspension designs that tend to wallow when climbing, a lowered fork is more useful, but I wouldn't ride a bike that wallows when climbing.
    +2 , I really dislike adjustable travel forks , I have a 6.3" bike and the 5" Yeti and I can climb fine , no need for problems.

I get more adjustable forks in the shop that I convert back to Float or solo air for guys and they all agree that their new fixed travel fork works so much better than the adjustable ever could .

mtbr member
    How are the Pikes feeling guys? I'm close to swapping out my Rev 130 for either a Pike 140 or 150.

Just was hoping for an update on either travel position and either offset please. Thanks!
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    How are the Pikes feeling guys? I'm close to swapping out my Rev 130 for either a Pike 140 or 150.

Just was hoping for an update on either travel position and either offset please. Thanks!
    I just put the Pike on mine and I can not believe how good the dam thing works , ( I went 150 travel ) you can make it what ever travel you want just like any fork but I really like the taller ft ends slacker angles and higher BB .
    The pike is the first air fork that I really liked right out the box , it feels very much like a coil fork except without the weight.
    I found the 51 mm offset makes a 29er have that 26er playful feel poping around AM riding , and when on the XC trails it really gives it a light cornering carve and hook up that is kinda hard to explain , .......3 or so years ago I really hated the heavy 29er feel that the 44 mm offset gave the bikes , when I road a fisher trek bike I knew that the 51 was the correct direction for the 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm on the 140 29er Pike on my SB 95. I went with the standard 46mm offset.

I love it.

mtbr member
    I just ordered a Pike 150 (51mm) for my 95a. Should match my otherwise burly build nicely.
    I'll post pictures when bolted up-

Thx for the help guys.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The Pike is so good , it will spoil you .

It adds such a controlled feel to the bike and it lets you get away with mistakes that would otherwise cost you .

You will love the dam thing

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNeener View Post
    Out of curiosity, I called Yeti this morning and, for what it's worth, they said to go with the standard version of the fork.
    I think the standard is actually 46, but Jenson site list it as no offset?

I have a 95 carbon build in progress, and the 51 Solo Airs are back ordered. Is it worth the wait for the 51 offset, or fine to get the dual air 51? Does anyone have the dual air and love it?

The all black definitely trumps the white.
    Last edited by epictrail; 02-19-2014 at 08:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by epictrail View Post
    Is think the standard is actually 46? I have a 95 carbon build in progress, and the 51 Solo Airs are backordered. Is it worth the wait for the 51 or fine to get the dual air? Does anyone have the dual air and love it?

The all black definitely trumps the white.
    I've got the 46mm offset Solo on my 95a. It's awesome. Can't tell a difference in the offset vs whatever the stock Fox 34 offset was.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by addATX View Post
    I've got the 46mm offset Solo on my 95a. It's awesome. Can't tell a difference in the offset vs whatever the stock Fox 34 offset was.
    The standard version Fox 34 is 51 mm offset, the 51 has become the standard offset on 29er bikes .
    So when somebody says "Go with the standard version of the fork" they mean go with the 51 mm offset on the 29er .

If you really want that 26er flickable it is nice , especially if you run a longer travel fork , I run a 150mm Pike in the front , the longer fork and slacker head angle actually increase the "trail number" so the 51 mm offset helps shorten up the "trail number" and keep the bike flickable .

If you ever road some of the first 29ers with the 42 or 44 mm offset you know how slow those things flopped the front end around

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast