mtbr member

SB95 ghost shifting

My SB will slightly ghost shift every now and then. I've routed the cables exactly like Yeti illustrates. The only thing I can think of is that I'm using the thicker 5mm housing. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    I just did some investigating and when the suspension compresses, the cable housing is actually sliding in the cable guides. There is evidence of this in the dust marks on the housing. I've got the ties cinched down as tight as possible. Guess I need to try the smaller housing.

It takes a pretty good g-out to get it to ghost shift, while pedaling of course.

mtbr member
    Think I figured it out. When compressed, the housing slides up in the guides. When extending, the housing can get pulled out of its seat in the rear der and this pulls the cable. There is chafing on the housing at the front the swingarm indicating that it has been sliding in/out. Hopefully, my theory proves to be true. I put an extra tie around the housing and brake line just fwd of the aft guide. This stopped the housing from sliding in the guides.

mtbr member
    If you were to re-run your cable housing and use shrink tubing in certain areas to mitigate movement, would that help any? Being that the shrink tubing would be thicker and not allow for the housing to travel into any guide?

mtbr member
    Not a bad idea using shrink tubing, but for extra friction. I was going to put a wrap of electric tape around the housing where the ties are located, but that crap gets nasty over time. I can also go one size larger on the ties which may give a little extra clamp force. For now, tying it to the brake hose has got it locked down.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    It takes a pretty good g-out to get it to ghost shift, while pedaling of course.
    I think I found your problem...
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.