mtbr member

SB95 Fox 35 CTD Fork Mod

Fox 34

So I'm about ready to drop the dimes on the ride of my dreams, but am torn on the 120mm front vs. 140mm. Yea, I've read about the advantages/disadvantages of both. I was ready to have my LBS order the 140mm, but then the tech said he called Fox and they (Fox) stated that the CTD could be converted from 120mm to 140mm via a ??? internal to the fork. The tech said that for $50ish bucks the conversion could be made up to 150mm (if I wanted which I don't).

Any truth to that? He's a stand up guy, but wanted to confirm with the experts here first. If the conversion is as simple as pulling out a stop and replacing with a shorter stop then I'm in for sure!

--D

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    From what I understand, yes, there is just a different spacer to go from 120 to 140.

Having the 120, I don't feel like additional travel would be necessary, so I would certainly recommend that you ride it before spending any money to convert it.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    My '12 sb95 came with a '13 34 FLOAT 29 fork that has the travel-limiting spacer under the bottom of the air piston.

It's like 10-15 minute operation to remove the spacer, requires fresh oil for the lowers but does not require exposing the air spring or piston at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My understanding, according to Fox and Yeti is that they no longer use spacers for the 2013 forks. They said it's a bumper and that you'd have to order a new spring assembly to make the 120 to 140 conversion. I'm in the same boat. Ordered an SB95c and I was told that a 140 wasn't even an option on the stock build from Yeti.

Root Master
    You could wait/push for the 2014 CTD fork. Fox apparently changed the tuning of it to eliminate a lot of the complaints about the 2013 fork (brake dive, etc.).

I did not buy the package bike so my Fox came already set at 140. I probably would have changed it anyway. At 120 mm, you're dragging around the weight of a fork that could be run at 140 mm. Might as well use the extra travel.
    Join the Tribe...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The weight difference between a 32 and 34 is irrelevant when you consider the ride differences between the slight change in geo from a 68.5HTA to a 67.6HTA (120 F34 to 140 F34). They wanted a stiff fork at 120 and the 68.5 HTA is pretty spot on for a 29er trail bike ATMO. Just wish the stock fork had the option to go out to 140 is all.

mtbr member
    As others have said, it depends on which air spring the fork came with. It may be an issue of OEM vs aftermarket forks because unless Fox made a running change halfway through 2013, the Fox 34 CTD Trail Adjust fork is supposed to have the new air spring with the shuttle bumper. I know for a fact (I just opened it and changed travel from 120mm to 140mm this past weekend) that my Fox 34 CTD Trail Adjust OEM fork has the old style air spring (without the shuttle bumper) that can be set to 120mm, 130mm, or 140mm.
    Last edited by nybike1971; 06-11-2013 at 05:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Have you considered the RS Pike 140? I'm thinking that's "the one" for this year, just don't know if it's shimmable (sp). I still think the sweet spot for the SB is 130 mm and was also considering the 2014 Talas. The Pike is lighter than the Talas or the Float, and uses 35 mm stanchions, so on paper, it looks good. Please chime in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Have you considered the RS Pike 140? I'm thinking that's "the one" for this year, just don't know if it's shimmable (sp). I still think the sweet spot for the SB is 130 mm and was also considering the 2014 Talas. The Pike is lighter than the Talas or the Float, and uses 35 mm stanchions, so on paper, it looks good. Please chime in.
    This! I'm pretty sure it will come with spacers just like all the other RS forks have in the past. SRAM rep said it won't be available until August I believe. Pretty sure it was supposed to be ready available in July initially.

Edit: Pike will be available 7/19

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Which Fox fork is Specialized using that is 150mm?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    Which Fox fork is Specialized using that is 150mm?
    Custom OEM Fox 34. You can't buy this aftermarket.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have to think there a way to mod the 140. Doesn't make sense that Fox would design and manufacturer a fork specific for a bike that may sell 1000 units?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    I have to think there a way to mod the 140. Doesn't make sense that Fox would design and manufacturer a fork specific for a bike that may sell 1000 units?
    Pretty sure when Specialized says "jump", people actually jump.

Chairman of the Beard
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock rover View Post
    Fox 34

So I'm about ready to drop the dimes on the ride of my dreams, but am torn on the 120mm front vs. 140mm. Yea, I've read about the advantages/disadvantages of both. I was ready to have my LBS order the 140mm, but then the tech said he called Fox and they (Fox) stated that the CTD could be converted from 120mm to 140mm via a ??? internal to the fork. The tech said that for $50ish bucks the conversion could be made up to 150mm (if I wanted which I don't).

Any truth to that? He's a stand up guy, but wanted to confirm with the experts here first. If the conversion is as simple as pulling out a stop and replacing with a shorter stop then I'm in for sure!

--D
    Yes, this is my understanding, the 2012 forks could go from 140 to 120 with a simple spacer, but the 2013 forks require a new spring/internals to do the same, and the parts are about $50.

You can however use a simple spacer to split the difference and go 130, which is what I have on my SB95c.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hirschmj View Post
    Yes, this is my understanding, the 2012 forks could go from 140 to 120 with a simple spacer, but the 2013 forks require a new spring/internals to do the same, and the parts are about $50.

You can however use a simple spacer to split the difference and go 130, which is what I have on my SB95c.
    Yes I picked up my SB95A yesterday and told me the 2013 did not have the spacer but he did not tell me about the new spring available to make it 140mm. Guess I will go back and ask but I will ride it around at 120 for a bit and see if I really even need to go to 140mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I am purchasing a x fusion trace Monday for my sb95c build

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hirschmj View Post
    Can you elaborate? I want to know some more before I go to my mechanic with this suggestion...

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Can you elaborate? I want to know some more before I go to my mechanic with this suggestion...
    Short version: old style have a spacer in the bottom of the air spring, between piston and top out spring. Changing spacer changes max travel. New style more complex.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanM View Post
    This! I'm pretty sure it will come with spacers just like all the other RS forks have in the past.
    My understanding is that isn't true. Current solo air springs have a dimple on the inside of the stanchion that spans the piston at full extension, allowing the 2 sides to communicate. Simply putting a spacer in would mean that dimple would never line up, so the negative spring would never pressurize.

I read somewhere that RS offered a piston that somehow limited travel while still allowing the + and - springs to communicate at full extension. I can't picture how that would work...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    My understanding is that isn't true. Current solo air springs have a dimple on the inside of the stanchion that spans the piston at full extension, allowing the 2 sides to communicate. Simply putting a spacer in would mean that dimple would never line up, so the negative spring would never pressurize.

I read somewhere that RS offered a piston that somehow limited travel while still allowing the + and - springs to communicate at full extension. I can't picture how that would work...
    Hmmm, that could be a deal killer. Didn't want to run full 140mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    I am purchasing a x fusion trace Monday for my sb95c build
    Full review expected soon!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post

Full review expected soon!
    for sure - once I get a frame..lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    for sure - once I get a frame..lol
    What...you got the cart before the horse?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    yup ..collecting parts