dontcha?

SB95 as do-all bike?

So after getting married and buying a house a lot of my time/money I've spent riding DH is going away, I barely rode my DH bike this summer, and I can see that trend continuing. I currently have a Stumpjumper FS-R EVO 26 as my trail bike, I love it, but no ability to run any shock I want has been a limiting factor when I think about using it as a do-all bike. I'm considering selling my DH bike and the stumpy and getting a SB95, mainly because I could run a air CCDB and a Pike w/travel adjust 120mm for xc and 150mm for any lift-assisted days I might ride. Maybe even a extra set of burlier wheels/tires. Thoughts?
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

Bikes!
    I'm a little biased but I think the SB95 is a fantastic all rounder, climbs like a CS bike and bombs down like a DH! I (now) run sensible tyres, Hans Dampf front with Nobby Nic rear, possibly trying out a HD in the rear when the weather turns really nasty, the big tyres have made a big difference to my fun, not that it was low when I had a Rocket Ron on the back but I can certainly push harder now. I've been running a xfusion Trace set at 140 which has been great but I've just taken delivery of a Pike 140 which I'm told will improve things even further. Interested in getting a Monarch Air shock next, but we'll see...

I think your plan will work!

Spring! Spring! Spring!

SB95 as do-all bike?

I ride my 95a for everything except DH that requires big suspension.

I have the fork at 130, but just because I want "that" much better climbing & turning. I have put about 3000 miles on the bike with the fork at 140 and it runs great and is disturbingly apable on the DH.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I am also using my 95 for all my riding , the dam thing really works good .
    amazingly to me was just how well of an all rounder it really is.

Ridin bikes is fun
    I'm considering the same dilemma. I currently have an 07 ASR under 25lbs and a 10 575 with a Fox 36/160 about 32lbs. When I bought my ASR I was racing CX, I haven't raced CX since 09, but I still want to do an occasional off road event such as the Whiskey 50 here in Arizona. The 575 is great for rides like South Mountain, Sedona and Moab, but I have never been very comfortable/good at technical uphill on that bike. I still spend 80% of my ride time on the ASR cause it's fun and fast.
    So I'm thinking the SB95C with a couple of sets of wheels for the different kinds of rides I may do. I know it would handle the type of trail and technical ridding I do, but could it be an endurance race bike for someone not worried about finishing in the top 30% of anything i may enter?

I'm also interested in the SB75 when it comes out in the carbon version. It would cost me over 10k to replace my two bikes with two new ones built to the same level, so my thinking is one bike in the 7 to 8k range may be the way to to go for now.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    My sb95 is a great bike but there is no such thing as a one all bike.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by wfo922 View Post
    I don't completely agree with that. I'd agree that there's no one bike that handles every usage perfectly to "world-up level" (whatever that really is), but I'd assert that there's many bikes on the market that can be used in a huge range of situations (with compromises) and put a smile on the riders face. Could be splitting hairs, though.

I believe the '95 is one of those.

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I don't completely agree with that. I'd agree that there's no one bike that handles every usage perfectly to "world-up level" (whatever that really is), but I'd assert that there's many bikes on the market that can be used in a huge range of situations (with compromises) and put a smile on the riders face. Could be splitting hairs, though.

I believe the '95 is one of those.
    What he ^^^ said.

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by wfo922 View Post
    Right, that's why I currently have a DH and a trail bike... my question is it better to have:
    • 1 bike that is better at 90% of the riding I do, and not as good at 10% of riding I do
    • 2 bikes, 1 that isn't as good at 90% of the riding I do and 1 that is better at the 10% of riding I do
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

Bikes!
    Look at the current Enduro trend, one bike that's good at most things is where it's at. For me and a few others at least.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    FWIW, I have three MTBs...

- DH bike - reserved for conditions I don't want to subject my 95a to, as they'd likely wear it too quickly or simply destroy it since it's not intended for that use
    - Trail bike - the 95a - that I use for pretty much everything except stuff I reserve for the above
    - single-speed hard-tail - as a backup mostly, but also for the rare time when I can't ride the 95a, or just when I really feel a strange need to do something different in XC mode

I easily spend 97% of my trail time on the 95a.

Sometimes in winter I won't take the 95a out because I don't want to clean it up afterwards, or worry about ice forming in the wrong place since I *know* water gets into the frame I know it could get into the Switch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Look at the current Enduro trend, one bike that's good at most things is where it's at. For me and a few others at least.
    Can't go wrong with sb95 or sb66 IMHO...