Thread: SB95 & CCDBAir

Single Speed Junkie

SB95 & CCDBAir

Wondering if anyone is running a DB air on their SB95 and if so what settings are you using?

mtbr member
    Does the CCDB air count as a coil shock due to its size?

From the Yeti website, SB95 page, under questions section: "Can I put a coil shock on my SB95?" "No. The SB95 is designed for use only with an air shock".
    Last edited by JanBoothius; 03-03-2013 at 11:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    cane creek makes the DB in both coil and air versions.

I spoke with them and Yeti and the DB air will work great with the SB95

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Quote Originally Posted by JanBoothius View Post
    Does the CCDB air count as a coil shock due to its size?

From the Yeti website, SB95 page, under questions section: "Can I put a coil shock on my SB95?" "No. The SB95 is designed for use only with an air shock".
    This most likely has less to do with clearance and instead the non-linear spring rate of the air shock. If Yeti designed the suspension with a falling rate to counteract the tendency of an air shock's spring rate to stiffen at the end of it's stroke for a linear-ish feel, then a coil would more easily compress. This would quickly blow through the travel and bottom or wallow, which is not desirable in an XC/trail bike, or any bike for that matter.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by snigs View Post
    This most likely has less to do with clearance and instead the non-linear spring rate of the air shock. If Yeti designed the suspension with a falling rate to counteract the tendency of an air shock's spring rate to stiffen at the end of it's stroke for a linear-ish feel, then a coil would more easily compress. This would quickly blow through the travel and bottom or wallow, which is not desirable in an XC/trail bike, or any bike for that matter.
    I know that on a large SB95 the shock fits in nicely at least from a physical size standpoint. After a few adjustments the shock can feel a little better than how Cane Creek ships it out of the factory. Was really hoping to dial it in this afternoon after yesterdays initial tuning. Need to call Cane Creek as it had no air left in it after less than resting for 24hours. Tried trouble shooting it seeing if there was an obvious air leak but no such luck.

mtbr member
    I increased low speed damping settings three clicks "+". I weigh 175 geared up with 3L of water and went to 105 psi, for about 30% sag - right in the middle of the 28-33% CC recommends. High speed settings will be tuned once I hit the eye-ball blowing super gutters.