Thread: SB95 & CCDBAir

Single Speed Junkie

SB95 & CCDBAir

Wondering if anyone is running a DB air on their SB95 and if so what settings are you using?

mtbr member
    Does the CCDB air count as a coil shock due to its size?

From the Yeti website, SB95 page, under questions section: "Can I put a coil shock on my SB95?" "No. The SB95 is designed for use only with an air shock".
    Last edited by JanBoothius; 03-04-2013 at 12:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    cane creek makes the DB in both coil and air versions.

I spoke with them and Yeti and the DB air will work great with the SB95

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Quote Originally Posted by JanBoothius View Post
    Does the CCDB air count as a coil shock due to its size?

From the Yeti website, SB95 page, under questions section: "Can I put a coil shock on my SB95?" "No. The SB95 is designed for use only with an air shock".
    This most likely has less to do with clearance and instead the non-linear spring rate of the air shock. If Yeti designed the suspension with a falling rate to counteract the tendency of an air shock's spring rate to stiffen at the end of it's stroke for a linear-ish feel, then a coil would more easily compress. This would quickly blow through the travel and bottom or wallow, which is not desirable in an XC/trail bike, or any bike for that matter.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by snigs View Post
    This most likely has less to do with clearance and instead the non-linear spring rate of the air shock. If Yeti designed the suspension with a falling rate to counteract the tendency of an air shock's spring rate to stiffen at the end of it's stroke for a linear-ish feel, then a coil would more easily compress. This would quickly blow through the travel and bottom or wallow, which is not desirable in an XC/trail bike, or any bike for that matter.
    I know that on a large SB95 the shock fits in nicely at least from a physical size standpoint. After a few adjustments the shock can feel a little better than how Cane Creek ships it out of the factory. Was really hoping to dial it in this afternoon after yesterdays initial tuning. Need to call Cane Creek as it had no air left in it after less than resting for 24hours. Tried trouble shooting it seeing if there was an obvious air leak but no such luck.

mtbr member
    I increased low speed damping settings three clicks "+". I weigh 175 geared up with 3L of water and went to 105 psi, for about 30% sag - right in the middle of the 28-33% CC recommends. High speed settings will be tuned once I hit the eye-ball blowing super gutters.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    I just mounted a CCDBA to my 95C. Any updates in settings will be appreciated.
    Pivot Mach 6
    Yeti SB95C
    1993 Brodie Expresso-For Sale
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

mtbr member
    Not to hijack, but has anyone tried a CC DB inline vs, Float X vs, Debonair on a 95?
    My 150 Pike needs a compatible mate. Cheers!
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    my settings 95C + CCBDAir CS 195lb riding weight
    115psi gets me 15mm /30% sag (standard air can)
    LSC +5
    LSR +7
    HSC +0.5
    HSR +1.5

mainly Xcish to aggro trail riding not more than 3 foot drops if any , i'll still be left with abt 10mm of travel left on the sag indicator ring

Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    Not to hijack, but has anyone tried a CC DB inline vs, Float X vs, Debonair on a 95?
    My 150 Pike needs a compatible mate. Cheers!
    I am running 150 Pike as well. I have used the Float X, The Debonair, & I have an CC Inline on back order. The Float X was great. Ordered from Fox so it had the right tune. Nice shock. I blew through the travel a plot. But it was nit picky things that made me sell it. The CTD Lever is the opposite position from RS and I have a Monarch on my other bike. I was always flipping it into the wrong position. Also the rebound adjustment was a pita to access. Besides that it was a good shock. I just removed the Debonair. For full disclosure it had the wrong compression tune so I was having to run more sag than called for for full travel. But it is an amazing shock. So supple. I really can tell the difference between Debonair & non Debonair units. I have a normal Monarch on my Mojo HD. But like my experience on my HD. The CCDBA is the shock that all others should be held up against. My first ride was yesterday and I was floored by how smooth my bike was. I ride a lot of fire roads so lot's of pedaling. Minimal bob, climbs smoothly, descends with vigor & is well supported. I will sell the CCDBA once my Inline arrives. My Monarch Debonair is up for sale as well. PM if your interested. It will have to be tuned for the L compression for the Yeti.
    Pivot Mach 6
    Yeti SB95C

Quote Originally Posted by kelvinkok View Post
    my settings 95C + CCBDAir CS 195lb riding weight
    115psi gets me 15mm /30% sag (standard air can)
    LSC +5
    LSR +7
    HSC +0.5
    HSR +1.5

mainly Xcish to aggro trail riding not more than 3 foot drops if any , i'll still be left with abt 10mm of travel left on the sag indicator ring
    Kelvin,

Thanks for the settings. I got one ride in yesterday. I am close to your settings. I ran 15mm sag
    LSC 7
    LSR 11
    HSC .75
    HSR 1

I was going to change the HSC .5 & HSR 1.25 on my next ride. as far as my low speed settings I am pretty happy so far. I weigh 230 and loved how it climbed. but I will play around with some lower settings and see how I fair. I really appreciate your input.

Lucas
    Pivot Mach 6
    Yeti SB95C

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkmtb View Post
    Kelvin,

Thanks for the settings. I got one ride in yesterday. I am close to your settings. I ran 15mm sag
    LSC 7
    LSR 11
    HSC .75
    HSR 1

I was going to change the HSC .5 & HSR 1.25 on my next ride. as far as my low speed settings I am pretty happy so far. I weigh 230 and loved how it climbed. but I will play around with some lower settings and see how I fair. I really appreciate your input.

Lucas
    No worries Lucas...update ur settings after finding ur sweet spot

Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have a DBAir CS on my SB66. I spoke with Malcom from Cane Creek and he gave me a very interesting piece of advice.
    If you put your CS in the middle position (without a click) it puts your LS settings at around 12-14 roughly.
    Initially, I had my dials very similar to Kelvin on the SB66, but after Malcom's advice, it was pointless to run it as I had it. I dropped my LSC to 4-5 and my LSR to 9. That way I have 3 preset settings that do not overlap and cover my complete range of riding (which is not different from your description ... but on my SB66 again).

Hopefully that would be helpful to you guys.

Edit: CS settings give you 19-21 clicks if I remember correctly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I read that fm Malcolm too ... I hv a a 66c too and I set the LC to achieve the most supple ride ..and using the mid position of the CS to some wat get the middle trail setting ... So yeah 3 settings decent , trail , climb ... I like this style of tuning ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Kelvin,
    You mean you have a 66c and a 95c?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yes ,, I've both ..

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Sweet!
    How do you compare both to each other?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Both are awesome bikes... !! no geo shocks when i swap ard both bikes .... 95c will maintain trail speed better .. due to bigger wheels... all in all.. i'm a Yeti boi for life !!

Cant wait for the SB6C to be launched... then my 66C will become a wall feature piece..

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Anyway i tried a new setting on my 95c + ccdba CS
    PSI 105 /35% sag (pervious 115 psi /30% sag)

LSC +6
    LSR +6
    HSC +0.25
    HSR +1

Trying this settup to use up more travel ... previously i had abt 15mm left on the sag indicator on Xcish, aggro trail riding with no more than 4 foot drops

SO I just got back from a week in Sedona, AZ & Flagstaff, AZ Sedona was amazing and Flag reminded of my type of riding from when I lived in Missoula, MT.

Anyway I have some good impressions on my shock. Again I am on a 95C with a non climb switch shock. My final settings are:
    HSR-1
    LSR-11
    HSC-.5
    LSC-7

These settings are great for where I ride on my home trails where I do a lot of XC miles. Fire road climbs and smooth single track climbs. The descents are steep, loose, rocky, rutted, fast goat trails.

But these settings were not all that good in Sedona, AZ where they had mostly technical climbing over rocks with square edge hits. I had to back off my LSC & LSR to track better and not buck as much. Sedona would be a great place to have a CS shock.

But today I pulled my CCDBA off the bike and installed my CCDB Inline shock. I knocked .4lbs off the weight of my XL 95C Bike now weighs 27.9lbs. I'm hoping to feel it on my next ride which will be tuesday. I am going to give CC a call tomorrow and ask them what changes I should make on this shock since I now have a CS to use. Again thanks for the info.

Lucas
    Last edited by spunkmtb; 08-25-2014 at 02:43 AM.
    Pivot Mach 6
    Yeti SB95C

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Cool, lets us know wats base tune u come up to with the CCDB INLINE .... i'm waiting for the my local distro for stocks to arrive too....