"Its All Good"

SB95 = Goat on Steroids

I had the opportunity to take a prototype Yeti SB95 for a decent muting our ride over the weekend. I have read good things about this bike, along with the SB66. I thought it would be foolish to turn down the opportunity.

I will put it out there upfront, am not the greatest writer of reviews on bikes.

29ers are not new to me, I have had 29ers for years now. It is not a fad for me, but the norm. My first 29er was a Jeff Jones space frame bike. I Loved this bike. I then had Nicolai build me a custom 29er based around the Helious AC. This bike was custom built for me, of which it is now a commercially available frame. It is a 5 inch travel front and rear bike. I then moved ahead and had Nicolai build me a harder hitting hard 29er that could be used to jump etc. This is a Helius AM 29er. So thought a little history would be helpful.

First thing I noticed with the SB95 is the fact for a medium frame, the top tube is l o n g, I am 6'4", to be riding a medium seems odd. But in actual fact, I would almost purchase a medium if I pulled the trigger. So sizing wise this is more intune with other manufacturers large frames. I guess the goal for Yeti is to run this bike with a really short stem, of which is right up my alley.

Onto the build, mainly XT shod is this bike, nothing wrong with that. A good sound build. Am not used to Shimano gears, been on SRAM for years, it all performed well. This bike I feel for most of my riding would be happy as a 1 x 10, as opposed to a 3 x 9 as it is at present. At the most a dual ring is all that would be needed. The fork is a Fox 34 120mm, loved this fork. My main ride has a 120mm RS Reba, and other bike a 29er Dorado. The stiffness of this 34 was immediately noticeable. Wheels were not to bad stiffness wise, again I am spoilt with wheels, have a set of Enve Carbon wheels, of which are stiffer than a honeymooners chopper!

Onto riding, all I can say upfront in regards to the climbing ability of the SB95 is that this thing climbs like a goat on steroids, very very good a climber. It almost feels like a rigid frame when climbing... So the SB95 climbs great...

Steering is very precise andaccurate with a very stiff front end. The tapered head tube and great gusset area is one stiff beast.

As above, the fork performed great, felt like it had more than 120mm of travel, I used all the travel too.

Onto the hard bit, the suspension when heading down hill. It performed great, I hit as many jumps as I could, the bike flies great, really balanced in the air. The suspension seemed to handle it all really well, again as with the fork, I used ALL the travel. I had one occasion where by the suspension got really bogged to me and felt not great at all. It was just one one occasion, I hit a smallish jump fast, about 2 foot high, but the landing was into a dip, like a g out say, didn't cope with this well at all. It could well have been the setup, but hey this was one jump / landing in a 3.5 hour ride.

This bike has great stand over height, it would be beneficial to shorter than me riders.

Overall I had a great ride on this bike, really liked it. If I was in the market for a FS 29er this is one bike to seriously look at. The geo is dialed, aggressive & the bike is fast, stable and handles great. It felt good to throw around, again it is a medium and I am not short. Pick your sizing carefully. It will take open mindness in my opinion, this is not a frame to be shod with a 100 / 110 mm stem, it needs a short stem! As should all this new breed of FS slack geo 29 ers

Yeti, you have built a well dialed beast, am sure you will sell a load of these frames. Thank you to Yeti & Kashi the New Zealand Yeti dealer for the opportunity to ride this great frame....... I have had a good many Nicolai frames, love the Nicoali's, but one must give credit where credit is due. A great frame.

So wanted to hit this jump, but would not be fair on the SB95, do think it would cope though...

The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nice review - and great pictures! I ride a 5C and have a steel 29er hardtail. I'd really like to try out and perhaps build one of these in the next couple of years. Geo is spot on for my taste and and it just looks like a really fun bike. What size Ardent was that in the back? How was the clearance?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nice shots and review. How well did the rear suspension track over steps and general trail chatter?

"Its All Good"
    Would for sure take one of these bad boys for a spin. I too liked the Geo, correct in spoton ness.

The Ardent on the back was a 2.25, same for the front. On my bike run an Ardent 2.4 on the front and a 2.25 on the rear.... Clearance was sweet as...

Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Nice review - and great pictures! I ride a 5C and have a steel 29er hardtail. I'd really like to try out and perhaps build one of these in the next couple of years. Geo is spot on for my taste and and it just looks like a really fun bike. What size Ardent was that in the back? How was the clearance?
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"Its All Good"
    T Wrench, as I was saying, am not a great review writer, find it hard to put into words.. On general trail chatter, the bike tracked great, being a 29er, roll over chatter was good. I didnt notice the suspension being non compliant on small trail chatter, of which contradicts me saying is rides like a hard tail...

The suspension activates for want of a better word very easily, on the trail.... I could say that it is not as active like the 4 bar suspension on my Nicolai's. That is not to say it is not active...

Quote Originally Posted by Torque Wrench View Post
    Nice shots and review. How well did the rear suspension track over steps and general trail chatter?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks Whafe,
    The relaxed head tube angle of this bike definitively puts it on my short list. I don't do very big jumps, but I think all that travel will help on the chunky So Cal downhills. Dealing with the twitchy nature of my Tallboy is getting old.

"Its All Good"
    I do jumps that are big for me, where by many would say they are tiny....

I am not sure how the SB95 would ride with a 140mm for etc. Not certain Yeti are trying to put the SB95 into the longer travel FS 29er slot...

Have ridden quite some in So Cal, love your chunky downhills, awesome riding for sure...

From what I have read, this bike is vastly different from a Tallboy, not that you will not know that... This is for sure an all day trail ripper, not a fast XC whippit...

Quote Originally Posted by Torque Wrench View Post
    Thanks Whafe,
    The relaxed head tube angle of this bike definitively puts it on my short list. I don't do very big jumps, but I think all that travel will help on the chunky So Cal downhills. Dealing with the twitchy nature of my Tallboy is getting old.

mtbr member
    Excellent review.

mtbr member
    Thanks Whafe!
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Thanks for the writeup.

The Mrs and I have been negotiating for a while on my next bike and this looks to be the one!

Good to see more and more people writing about the machine as if they were TRYING to sell me it as it's the perfect bike for me. :^)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My SB`66 w/32 fork rips....I absolutely can not stay off of it.....I have yet to lock out the rear shock for any of the climbs that I've done......The wheel base seemed long for the first few rides......but now I can stuff it in any berm as hard as I ever have.......

I wish I could figure out why I can not up load pics

mtbr member
    We are itching to get our first SB95 in the shop. Thank you for the write up!
    Pro Mountain Outfitters
    www.promountainoutfitters.com

Like us on FaceBook

gnuH
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe View Post
    I am 6'4"...
    in high heels
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Good stuff Wafe, looks like you got on well with the super bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Tires

Best part of the review is that rider has Nicolai's and those are known german engineering (if you know what I mean)! What is the steering angle of Helius AC, looks quite steep to me?
    And one newbie question, what is the rear tire clearance of SB95? Could it be possible to run 2.4 Ardent's at the back?
    "A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new."
    -Albert Einstein

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    [QUOTE=shothar;9727550And one newbie question, what is the rear tire clearance of SB95? Could it be possible to run 2.4 Ardent's at the back?[/QUOTE]

yes, Ardent 2.4's will fit - as will Geax Sturdy 2.3, Panaracer Rampage 2.35, etc.

BUT,

anticipate some seat-tube rub on full bottom out, and there's not a TON of extra room to the front-d (if you have one mounted) so wet-crappy-cruddy season may not be in favor of the 2.4.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    yes, Ardent 2.4's will fit - as will Geax Sturdy 2.3, Panaracer Rampage 2.35, etc.

BUT,

anticipate some seat-tube rub on full bottom out, and there's not a TON of extra room to the front-d (if you have one mounted) so wet-crappy-cruddy season may not be in favor of the 2.4.
    Really nice to know that 2.4's will fit. SB95 definitely is on the top of my bike list. Now I use 1x9 on my 26" fs so I guess I could manage with 1x10 on SB95.
    Thanks!
    "A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new."
    -Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks Whafe for the good review, helped me at 6'5" go for the SB95

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YetiSB View Post
    Thanks Whafe for the good review, helped me at 6'5" go for the SB95
    What size did you go with?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    i looked at a medium but i demo'd a L and a XL. i went with the XL do to being mostly legs and arms at 6'5" so the cockpit just seemed to fit. But like Whafe said the medium is more like other manufactures large frame with the long top tube. With the XL frame i'm able to go with a 50 stem to get the feel i wanted. When in doubt i would just try and at least parking lot demo the sizes.
    Yeti SB-95: XL Grey