mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Sb75 vs 2014 575

Anyone have any advice on the above? I've read a bunch of posts and the consistent themes seem to be sb75=efficient vs 575=plush yet I am not sure which best suits my style and terrain as I'm pretty new to this. I live in the north east and my trails are flowy technical single track with bits of climbing and bits of dh yet not tons of either. I'm not the most aggressive rider, just trying to get out once a week for a few hours of fun. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'd love to pick up my first yeti. Thanks

Long live the ASR-7
    I haven't ridden the new 575 or even seen one for sale yet, but I did have an older one. The single pivot design makes for a playful and fun bike. I've had some time on a 66 too. It climbed better than my 575, but I love the way the single pivot ASR suspension works.

575 Pros:
    Cheaper
    Lighter
    More playful
    More travel
    Less maintenance

SB-75 Pros:
    Better pedaling

Maybe someone else can add more benefits to the SB-75, but that is the way I see it.

mtbr member
    +1

Thought at this point it is too late, as Mrs. Claus greenlighted the purchase of a 2014 575, which has been ordered.

The deal breaker for me was the travel (already have a 125mm trail bike) and the 13" bb height on the SB75. I am in PA, and I have converted a couple of bikes to 650b - point being I have an appreciation of having enough clearance for where I ride. You certainly can adapt, but that adaption is a compromise...you have enough to process already.

What are you riding now? If you are not racing, I vote for plush.
    I also do not think there is a wrong answer...

Your bike sucks
    I'm feeling this choice too. Won't know until ridden but on paper, I'm liking the 575 numbers.

Sort of a tangent question: Does anyone have links detailing people on older 575s using mixed wheel sizes? Eg: 575 w/ 26'' rear and a 27.5 front. I have a 150mm Talas 27.5 just waiting for an application.

mtbr member

Re: Sb75 vs 2014 575

I wouldn't say the SB platform isn't plush. Getting rid of the boost valve in the CTD on my 95 has turned it into a trail eating monster and it still pedals very well.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    With the DBAir on my 95 I can tune it any which way, but even setup very plush it still seems to pedal really well. No complaints on long smooth climbs nor on the short burst-power stuff needed to get up large rocks and ledges.

But there's no contesting that the 575 is likely less maintenance.

Long live the ASR-7
    Is it just me or does it feel like Yeti has put all their eggs in the Switch Technology basket? The 575 is the last of the ASR bikes and feels more like an afterthought.

mtbr member
    Interesting thoughts here comparing the SB platform and ASR. I too would consider the 575 over a SB75 if had the choice.

I'm quite pleased with my 26" 575 and may consider converting it to a 27.5 front to lift the BB a bit and for that small 'bigger tire' advantage. Anyways, may I say, I would be so all-over a carbon version of the 575 with 27.5" wheels - if Yeti ever makes one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the all the feedback. Current ride is a '13 Rocky Mountain element 30 and I'm definitely not racing. I like the idea of less maintenance and other pros of the 575 so am getting close to pulling the trigger, thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doba View Post
    Is it just me or does it feel like Yeti has put all their eggs in the Switch Technology basket? The 575 is the last of the ASR bikes and feels more like an afterthought.
    It is the same way Santa Cruz treats the VPP compared to the single pivot bikes. You will probably never see a carbon 575 or Heckler…if you are going to spend the money for carbon, you are going to want the more "advanced" suspension system to go with it. Will, that is the theory...