Thread: SB66c vs SB66a

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

SB66c vs SB66a

Am looking for comments on the differences between the two, plus or minus.

Is the carbon stiffer than the aluminium. How does the ride compare ?

Finish ?

Collet system on pivot pins any good on carbon version ?

Frame line up, ease of build, ie. are the bearing pockets accurate ?

Thanks, just want to be confident to order a carbon one without viewing it .

Unpredictable
    I held the carbon frame and shock in my hot little hands yesterday. Very sexy. I know you are looking for very specific information, but there is no reason why manufacturing alignment issues at the BB or other bearings should be an issue carbon versus metal. It's not a new art. Carbon is stronger and better to ride than aluminium.

Illuminati
    carbon is a lot easier to clean as it doesnt have all the mud trap pockets in the rear triangle. noteably lighter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Great comments, keep them coming, thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The aluminum costs less and rides great. Neither of them are ever going to be confused for a "light" bike.

Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrifter View Post
    The aluminum costs less and rides great. Neither of them are ever going to be confused for a "light" bike.
    25lbs is possible with a rigid seatpost on a 66c. I'd say thats pretty light for a 150mm travel frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scant View Post
    25lbs is possible with a rigid seatpost on a 66c. I'd say thats pretty light for a 150mm travel frame.
    At that weight do the rest of the parts truly support what 150mm is all about? I'm guessing my SB66a size L with a Race package is right around 30lbs and I don't see much opportunity for significant weight loss without compromising. For me, I really considered the C but decided the extra 1.5 - 2lbs wasn't a concern. Someone else could feel quite differently and the $ may be well spent for them.

The comment about carbon being easier to clean is so true. My last bike was carbon and I just wet wiped it. The SB66 with the huge welds takes a little scrubbing if you really want it clean.

Illuminati
    At that weight do the rest of the parts truly support what 150mm is all about? .
    depends on what you want to use it for I guess. having ridden both, if you want to do multiple shuttle runs in morzine, then I'd stick with the alu. if you want a longer travel xc rig that will still handle the drops & rougher trails, but climbs & feels like a more capable xc bike, then easily the carbon.

The comment about carbon being easier to clean is so true. My last bike was carbon and I just wet wiped it
    its more related to the closed sections of the carbon SB, compared to the open mud pockets in the alu SB rear triangle that hold onto mud & are a little tougher to clean.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I made the switch in November. The biggest difference, (read as blown away difference) to me is how easy short trail sprints are, especially uphill. One of my local trails has a few short uphill sections. The SB66 carbon just blows up these trails. It's not even close in comparison. It seems to pedal better on the longer grinding climbs, but this difference isn't as stark as the out of the saddle sprint climb. I haven't found a bike that does this with such ease.