mtbr member

SB66C Used - Comments on this build

Long time hard-tail rider making the transition to FS this year. Primarily ride CO front range single-track and central rockies all-mountain trails, aggressive-style for an old man and after a lot of research I've settled on a used SB66C assuming I can find the right build at the right price-point. Going used for the obvious cost savings opportunity and I want a good setup for the next ~3 years to build experience on a FS platform.

Looking at this build, what do you folks think? It has what I'm looking for and I'm eager to move over to the SRAM drive train (always been on XT and long ago SLX). List is $4K OBO and here are the details. Lastly, used SB66C's, any tips on what to look for during inspection?

Thanks in advance.

2013 Yeti SB66 Carbon medium (I'm 5' 9" and have test ridden this size)
    SRAM XX1
    Fox 34 Float fork- 160mm travel
    DT Swiss 350 hubs - Stan's Flow EX rims
    Avid X01 Trail w/ 180mm rotors
    Renthal lowrise handlebar
    Thomson X4 50mm
    Chris King Headset
    Specialized Command Post Blacklite
    Specialized Henge saddle
    ~28lbs
    Looks very clean in the pics I've reviewed

mtbr member
    I would personally go this route:

Yeti Cycles SB-66 Carbon Race Complete Bike | Competitive Cyclist

Other than a swap in drivetrain you're pretty much there. And, it's new with warranty.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Other than the Specialized post and Avid brakes it looks like a nice build. I think the price is a little high based on the sales that have been going on. $35-3700 and I would jump on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Get a new one from Competitive cyclist or Backcountry.com. With carbon you want warranty and crash replacement support. Plus they come out cheaper with a the $250 credit. Best deal going.

mtbr member
    what they said. might as well get a new one if you can get your hands on one.

The XX1 is kind of a nice upgrade, but I get the sense that 11 speed transmissions are going to be getting cheaper in the next couple of years, so you could upgrade then, if you can live with a *gasp* 2x10 drivetrain for a while.

(I'm about to attempt the whole 42t cog thing and go 1x10, but that is so dependent on rider strength, terrain, etc...)

Key thing: brand new. Also, people seem to be getting good deals on a swap to a Pike. not many people seem to like the 34, so if you have a preference, you might be able to wheel and deal with comptetitivecyclist to get a fork of your preference.

Also, I presume the shock is the stock CTD on that used one?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yup, try and find the deals, I got my SB66c race build small from CC a few months ago for right under $4000 delivered to my door. I love it! Only changes I've done so far is move front tire to back, and a different tire on front, cut down seatpost a little, replace freehub bearings with hybrid ceramics when outside one got rough after second ride in downpour rain, and move stem spacers around to bring bars lower.
    I do want to try tubeless soon, and the grip on one side has a little play so i'll eventually go to tried & true lock ons. The 2x9 XT works great, XT all around except for a STX cogset. I'm not strong enough to live without granny. Clutch derailleur sure keeps the clatter down!
    I wouldn't go used unless its significantly cheaper, or its completely sold out elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Input much appreciated (and helpfull) all, thank you!