mtbr member

SB66c Torque Specs

Hello,

I took my SB66c apart a week ago. I removed everything except the headset as I donít have the right tool for that (yet).

I managed to remove/extract all the bearings with bolts, nuts and washers. I had to cut some washers in order to get the bearings out of the eccentric and the dogbone. I then bought the Yeti Bearing Service Kit (YETI BEARING SERVICE KIT) for $125 in order to put everything back together. Itís worth mentioning that the kit does not have anything to remove the large frame bearings that are around the eccentric.

I put everything back together and followed the torque recommendations from the ownerís manual:

- Eccentric Ti male bolt (that goes inside the eccentric): 90-95 in/lb.
    - Eccentric Stop bolt (under the frame): 40-45 in/lb.
    - Collet axles (all 3): 35-40 in/lb.
    - Collet bolts (all 3): 155-160 in/lb.
    - Shock (both sides): 90-95 in/lb.

However, I could not find anything about the derailleur hanger bolts torque. Does anybody know what does Yeti recommend:
    - Derailleur hanger large bolt (inside frame): ??
    - Derailleur hanger small bolt (outside frame): ??

Thanks!

Hoki

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    FWIW, the Park TS TA works great for pressing all the small bearings into place, at least on my sb95.

I've replaced bearings twice and never needed more than a square punch and a light hammer to tap the bearings out.

I can appreciate having better tools for the job though.

I don't know about the dims on the sb66 large bearings, but the Park headset press my LBS has works admirably well to press in the DS bearing on the '95. One needs to use the old bearing on top of the new one to get the new one fully seated though. Likewise I had to improvise for the NDS bushing ... I ended up using the NDS Switch component as a guide, with the bushing wrapped around it, and a soft mallet to press in the new bushing. Some industrious soul with a latch could make forms to handle those large bearing situations though, it'd sure be handy.

mtbr member
    Thanks Bear for the tips!

BTW, do you know what torque should be used for the derailleur hanger's bolts?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokidachi View Post
    BTW, do you know what torque should be used for the derailleur hanger's bolts?
    Sadly no.

I tend to use "hand tight gently snug" with a spot of blue loc-tite for safety.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokidachi View Post
    Hello,
    - Collet bolts (all 3): 155-160 in/lb.
    Hoki
    Did you feel like the torque on the collet bolt is too much. When cranking on my torque wrench with this spec seemed tighter than it was when I loosened it from the factory specs. I just worry that it is too much for the carbon, but then again I'm sure yeti knows what they're doing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Where did you find the tool kit for $125? Also, would a kit like Hub Bearing Press from Real World Cycling work as well or better? Just got my SB but trying to plan ahead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikodipo View Post
    Did you feel like the torque on the collet bolt is too much. When cranking on my torque wrench with this spec seemed tighter than it was when I loosened it from the factory specs. I just worry that it is too much for the carbon, but then again I'm sure yeti knows what they're doing.
    I removed the triangle multiple times and never felt the torque was too much on the collet bolt when putting everything back together. Also, as I understand things, the pressure is between the collet bolt and the collet axle, not so much on the carbon. It could be a problem if the torque was too high when tightening the collet axle though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhmax View Post
    Where did you find the tool kit for $125? Also, would a kit like Hub Bearing Press from Real World Cycling work as well or better? Just got my SB but trying to plan ahead.
    I got it from my LBS (Sports Basement in Sunnyvale, CA). I have not tried the bearing press from Real World Cycling but I had looked at it. If I recall properly that kit does not come with all the guides required for the SB66c.

mtbr member
    May 2009

SB66c Torque Specs

Wow. Did you have sports basement order it for you or did they happen to have the kit there? I'm surprised you were able to get it at half the cost.

I was worried about the collet bolt because it's an expansion fit that expands the axle to frame. I need to check the calibration on my torque wrench but I just do it by feel now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikodipo View Post
    Wow. Did you have sports basement order it for you or did they happen to have the kit there? I'm surprised you were able to get it at half the cost.
    I was surprised too!
    It was a special order, and they told me it would be $250. When I came to pick it up, they said it was only $125... : )