Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

SB66C sizing and other SB66c questions

Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been asked, but I am trying to get a definitive answer to this question.

My brother is 5' 11" tall (31.7 inch inseam) which puts him right on the borderline of a medium and/or large frame size.

Which is the correct size for him - please provide your reasoning

Rear axle - does any 142x12 rear axle work or must it be a particular brand?

Headset - which version of the Cane Creek 110 headset is the correct version for this bike.

Many thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fury25 View Post
    Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been asked, but I am trying to get a definitive answer to this question.

My brother is 5' 11" tall (31.7 inch inseam) which puts him right on the borderline of a medium and/or large frame size.

Which is the correct size for him - please provide your reasoning

Rear axle - does any 142x12 rear axle work or must it be a particular brand?

Headset - which version of the Cane Creek 110 headset is the correct version for this bike.

Many thanks
    He needs to go sit on the bikes to decide for himself. No other way around it.

Cane creeks website has a SHIS finder, which will tell you the headset for almost any bike. For the 66, you need 44/56.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am same size as your brother. I ride the medium. To me it feels perfect. To others it may feel small. The large felt too big for me. The terrain you ride will also determine sizing. I ride mostly rocky tech, so I like a flickier feeling bike.
    Hope this helps.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm the same height and ride a large with a 50mm stem. With a 70mm stem it felt too long. I have a 32" inseam and have to jack the seat post way up to get the leg extension I want. I think you would be happy with a large or medium.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sizing is really hard and is 100% personal. You have a guy above saying he is 5'11" and loves his Medium, but I'm 5'9" and riding a Large 95 which feels good to me. I had a Medium 66 and it felt small.

Yeti builds them big - I did a ton of measurement comparison between my Medium 66, Large 95 and a Large Giant Reign. The Medium 66 is almost identical in many aspects, to my Large Reign, and all three were pretty close in the primary dimensions.

With my 95, I have to run the stem pretty low and my saddle is about level with the stem, but it feels good. I want room to move and the reach, to me, is good.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'8" , 30" inseam and ride a medium. I like it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Really wanting to hear some rider heights, frame sizes, and stem combos. I can get a killer deal on a sb66c but it's a medium and I am 5'5" so I'm afraid it's going to be too big. Wondering if a 50mm stem would make it just right for me. I tried a medium nomad with a 50mm stem and it felt too small.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10" and have a Medium SB66C and love it. I used the stock stem for a little while (70mm I think) and that was ok. I switched to a 50mm stem and it feels great!
    A large SB66C would have definitely be too big for me.

mtbr member
    As MT77 says, he has to try one himself, I am also the same size as your brother and ride a large. The medium felt way too small for me. Scarsandtears is also the same size and feels the opposite and we ride the same exact terrain. So there is no way around actually sitting on and pedaling the bike if he wants to get the right size for himself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Turkey View Post
    Really wanting to hear some rider heights, frame sizes, and stem combos. I can get a killer deal on a sb66c but it's a medium and I am 5'5" so I'm afraid it's going to be too big. Wondering if a 50mm stem would make it just right for me. I tried a medium nomad with a 50mm stem and it felt too small.
    A medium will be too big for you. I'm 5'9.5" on a medium with a 50mm stem and it's perfect.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    A medium will be too big for you. I'm 5'9.5" on a medium with a 50mm stem and it's perfect.
    Yeah I figured.
    I'm thinking of getting it anyways $3000 for a warrantied front triangle the full xt build with k coated suspension xtr+ rear mech
    RS dropper race face next sl crankset. Seems too good to pass up also I cannot find a small frame sb66c.

Linoleum Knife
    Yeah I figured.
    I'm thinking of getting it anyways
    Don't do it. I'm 5'9" and I would NOT want to be any shorter on a medium. It's a big bike.

Yeti Cycles SB-66 Carbon | Competitive Cyclist

mtbr member
    Yeah I figured.
    I'm thinking of getting it anyways $3000 for a warrantied front triangle the full xt build with k coated suspension xtr+ rear mech
    RS dropper race face next sl crankset. Seems too good to pass up also I cannot find a small frame sb66c.
    That's a good deal. Do it. If u decide its too big, you will probably be able to sell the frame for a good price and build a small

mtbr member
    You will need the Shimano 12x142 axle

mtbr member
    Are you only looking at complete bikes? Because there are small frames out there.

mtbr member
    Also, there have been small 66c Enduro builds on ChainLove for $3k. Not as nice of a build of the one you are looking at, but it is a small frame...
    use SACalerts.com to get a text or email when it comes around

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    Are you only looking at complete bikes? Because there are small frames out there.

if I can't get a complete I will just go for another bike. I might ask if jenson or competitive cyclist can swap out an XL frame xt build complete for one of the smalls they have

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Backcountry has plenty of SB66 Carbon Race complete bikes. They're $3,999 with a $250 credit. I just checked they have the grey and the turquoise. They have the Shadow Plus rear mech, 2x10, Havoc Carbon bars, And it's all XT. I just picked up an XL.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash-VR View Post
    Backcountry has plenty of SB66 Carbon Race complete bikes. They're $3,999 with a $250 credit. I just checked they have the grey and the turquoise. They have the Shadow Plus rear mech, 2x10, Havoc Carbon bars, And it's all XT. I just picked up an XL.

Thanks! hopefully they'll still have some smalls come the first of February!

Also thanks to everyone for the input I really appreciate it!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Right now they have 6 grey and 4 turquoise. I think theres a pretty good chance they'll still have them in a week. Especially given the time of year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    If backcountry will swap the fox fork for a pike for around the same price, should I get them to swap it?

mtbr member
    yes

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thank you guys for answering my questions.. one more, will the carbon or aluminum version be better for longevity? considering al because it's cheaper and jensonusa is willing to work with me to get an Aluminum one built up for around $2600 with a build similar to the enduro build. if i go that route i can prolly get a pike fork

Linoleum Knife
    will the carbon or aluminum version be better for longevity?
    No real difference. Anymore, catastrophically damaging the frame is going to require replacement parts one way or the other. You're not really going to save much trying to get either frame repaired, vs just getting a replacement triangle from Yeti.

I bought the aluminum comp built on a whim. One ride, and I knew that I was going to be keeping that bike for a long time - so I bought a carbon frame to swap all the bits on to.

The ONLY reason i did that was I knew the 1.5lb difference would bug me every time I had to pedal it up a long hill.

If you don't mind the weight penalty, there is no reason to go for the carbon...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy View Post
    No real difference. Anymore, catastrophically damaging the frame is going to require replacement parts one way or the other. You're not really going to save much trying to get either frame repaired, vs just getting a replacement triangle from Yeti.

I bought the aluminum comp built on a whim. One ride, and I knew that I was going to be keeping that bike for a long time - so I bought a carbon frame to swap all the bits on to.

The ONLY reason i did that was I knew the 1.5lb difference would bug me every time I had to pedal it up a long hill.

If you don't mind the weight penalty, there is no reason to go for the carbon...
    To add:

I have a 95a and don't regret not going carbon one bit (yet). But also, to be fair, I've never ridden a 95c, so I do not have a comparison to weigh in on.

But I have my 95 alloy down to 29.2 pounds (without drop post) and I'm pretty satisfied with that. My next bike will probably be carbon, but for this year, I'm very satisfied with aluminum, thus far.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast