mtbr member
    Sep 2005

sb66c dropping chain

Hi All,

I have recently picked up a sb66c and at the moment have a xt 3x10 with a standard shadow (not clutch) rear derailleur setup. I intend on swapping this out with a 2x10 + clutch derailleur however in the mean time want to sort out the current setup as best I can.

Every time I go down a track with a bit of chatter bumps the chain drops off. I'm coming from a asr5c with a 3x9 sram x0 setup and have very little problem with dropping chains on the same tracks and at the moment going faster (more confidence of the 5 at the moment).

I cant see anything wrong with the setup and expect it to improve once i go to the 2x10 + clutch derailleur but is this what I should expect from the current setup?

Thanks for you help.

Matt

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism
    Matt,

I was running a 2X10 on my Al SB-66 and I would pretty much always drop the chain on certain spots in certain trails. Finally broke down and bought a 2X e13 chain retention and that pretty much cured me of it. Then when I went to a 1X went to a 1X chain retention no issues as well and since I'm now just running a clutch XT rear derailleur, no issues. Except when I forget to turn it 'on'.

Oni

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    No, I don't think that should be expected... That 3X10 XT setup is probably the same (or nearly the same) that came with my XT-spec'd SB 95, and I rarely had dropped chains on that. (I've since moved to a 1x10 with a clutch RD).

Something must be up...

mtbr member
    Is it only dropping when in granny gear ? May be as simple as adjusting the low limit on your front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.

I have mainly tested it on the middle chaining and i have adjusted the front derailleur to be as far out as i can with the chain on the ring.

It really not making sense to me as I had almost no trouble on my ASR5.

Matt

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I run a 2x10 with xtr plus rear d. With no issues

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Where is the chain dropping? Assuming it is off the chain rings? Since you have the 3x10 with assuming again, the long RD cage, is it built with enough chain to where you can fit the largest chain ring and largest cassette at the same time? If yes, I would remove a link or two depending on how much play there is.

On my SB95 I did not have issues with dropping the chain but I actually just dropped my large chain ring for a bash guard, adjusted the FD H, removed a chain link and then changed the RD from a standard XT long cage to a XT Shadow + medium cage and so far I am very happy. Again, even though I didn't experience dropped chains, the noise reduction and reduced chain slap was completely worth it.

www.yetifan.com
    Same questions over on Yetifan forum.

Overall it looks like the Clutch Rear mech is the thing you need.

I've not dropped mine on SB66C since I fitted one. Genius bit of kit,

Andrew@yetifan.com