wanderer

SB66C - bashguard?

I recently picked up an SB66c, and from my initial rides so far I can tell we're going to have a lot of fun together. The only thing is: I had heard about the low bottom bracket and didn't think much of it, but have already had to deal with some bashing of the large chainring when clearing rocks.

I've never used a bashguard before, but thinking of it now. Is there a good solution to protect the large chainring without removing it? I can adjust my style somewhat to just lift more, but can see there will be times when charging through boulder gardens might end up being somewhat frustrating.

I'm not super apposed to just removing the large ring, but there would be times I'd miss it when riding out to the trails.
    Fueled entirely by plants. And beer.

mtbr member
    I've got one of these on my 2x10 setup

Race Face

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    There is an ISCG adapter available at jensonusa that replaces a spacer between your bottom bracket and your crankset. It allows you to use a taco type guard by MRP. I'm still waiting for my adapter as they were backordered and expect to ship on 1-29-14 I've received the guard and it looks substantial. I need the large chainring for riding on the road to get to the trails.

Check out these pictures. https://www.google.com/search?q=iscg...66%3B400%3B300

Stupid is, as stupid does
    I just went to 2 x 10. I have a 6 mile ride to my trail. I miss my large ring a little. But I will admit that I am enjoying the benefits more of the 2 x 10 drivetrain quite a bit. That is something that I never thought I would say. It's an equitable trade and I do not think that I will change back to a triple.
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD (153mm 650B)
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

AKA shitbird
    Yeti makes an adapter that puts ISCG/ISCG05 tabs on your frame. See the splined area near your bottom bracket? It mounts to that. Call Yeti, get the tabs and you will be much happier than going with a bottom bracket mounted guide that will end up turning if you hit something hard.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

MRP 2x

I've been running the MRP 2x for a couple of years and would recommend it, especially since it's such an easy mount on the Yeti. My thought on a bash guard is you will know if you need one. Figure a few pictures are worth a 1000 words, so here's my setup...

I'm running 1x10 now, with a narrow/wide and a giant cog and still have the MRP with the chainguide cut off.

You can see how the ISCG mounts attached, in this picture the chainguide wheels have fallen off

SB66C - bashguard?-img_3930.jpg

Backside with the chainguide arm removed (Hacksaw)

SB66C - bashguard?-img_4449.jpg

The current 1x10 drivetrain, added 2 links to chain after this picture was taken

SB66C - bashguard?-img_4451.jpg

The 2x10 drivetrain, haven't run the narrow/wide long enough to comment on dropped chains, but the chainguide was a sure thing while I had it. A little noisy, but zero dropped chains.
    SB66C - bashguard?-img_3790.jpg

When you know you need a bash guard, $120 XTR big ring destroyed.

SB66C - bashguard?-img_3999.jpg

Stupid is, as stupid does
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMike Colorado View Post

When you know you need a bash guard, $120 XTR big ring destroyed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3999.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	865510
    I've actually considered grinding the teeth off of my big ring and using it as a light weight bash ring for my 24/36 double ring set-up instead of mounting a dedicated bash.
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD (153mm 650B)
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked