mtbr member
    Apr 2009

SB66A XT 36 worth the extra $400?

So I'm still debating what to get and now for 2012 the builds give even more options (I really shouldn't complain) but makes my decision harder.

The only two differences between the XT 32 build and the XT 36 build are wheels and fork.

I'm 185 - 200lbs. I do a lot of climbing... I never take my bike up a lift, I use human power (which is not much in my case). I do a lot of technical decents and I go off drops of 3 - 4ft.

So given my weight, I was thinking that having a beefier build would be an advantage for durability and less flex. I've read in many posts that the DT X1600 and the Fox Float 32 are very flexy, and the wheels not very strong with only 28 spokes.

Of course I want the best of every world; light, stiff, durable, etc... But there are tradeoffs. Unfortunately due to where I live I will not be able to ride the two bikes, and building a bike from scratch would be a nightmare for me.

Does anyone know the weight difference between the two builds?
    Is the flex problem of the 32 build really an issue?
    Are DT X1600 really not strong enough for my weight and riding style?

I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I can't speak to the wheels but as a 200#(+) dude myself past experience has taught me that the larger-than-32-mm forks are well worth it.

For my 2c, if you're a hard/regular rider then the thru-axle combined with the larger legs not only makes it a better ride but also lends much more long term durability.

My opinion is based upon getting new fox vanilla 125rlc in '03 and wearing it hard enough (with regular maintenance!) on my 5.9" travel Titus that the slots in the bushings wore grooves into the lower area of legs in about two years. I've had a Marz 66 SL1 since spring '07 that has seen much more mileage and has yet to wear out either the bushings or the legs. While new bushings wouldn't "hurt" they sure don't seem to be needed based upon the most recent oil/seal service the fork got.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm about 165lb and ride with a Fox Float 36 and Mavic Crossmax SX rims. Can't speak for how a lighter build would feel in comparison, but I still bash it up hills about as happily as I could my previous hardtail. I do sometimes think I should get some more XC-biased wheels for the days where I'm not doing much rough stuff in the hope of feeling an extra bit speedy, but on the whole I'm content.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    i'm at 185 lbs. I test rode a 66 with Fox 36 forks and was surprised how much difference it made in how solid the front end feels. Also the tougher wheels seem more appropriate for the intended function (for me) of the SB66. $400? Yes, that's a bargain compared to future upgrades.

I got the 66a with the enduro-36 build and so far i'm quite happy with it.

what the quan?!

Good job!

I am with uber... opt for the 36s! The 36's can really take hits/abuse and demonstrate much less flex than the 32s. This is coming from a rider that is about 30lbs lighter than you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Surprised that all of you guys recommend the 36.
    I'm still concerned with weight given the hills I climb (I need all the help I can get). But I guess durability is more important to me.

Any riders out there with Fox Float 32 that really like the shock?

what the quan?!
    Quote Originally Posted by santos_pons View Post
    I'm still concerned with weight given the hills I climb (I need all the help I can get).
    The weight difference is bit over a pound. Sure it's an added pound... but you probably won't notice it. The stiffness/durability factor should outweigh the actual weight!

bog
    mtbr member
    I highly recommend the 36 over the 32. The frame is so rigid and tracks so well that it deserves a fork that can match up. I'm running a 2012 36 Talas and it mates up really well with my whole build that I have.

IMO, the 32 is way too wimpy for the SB66 and the 36 is slightly too much for most riders. When the 26" 34 comes out it'll be a perfect match.
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by santos_pons View Post
    I'm still concerned with weight given the hills I climb (I need all the help I can get). But I guess durability is more important to me.

Any riders out there with Fox Float 32 that really like the shock?
    I run 32 Talas and realy like it, however my eperience with 36 is limited to a full day demo.
    During the demo I kept on saying 36 will be my next fork however the bike is very stiff with 32 as well. I think that a pound upfront is very important in the high temps we get in Israel over the summer + I consider myself more of an XC guy eventhough I like the slopes and always happy to drop the 3 footers.
    Geometry is spot on at 150mm both up and down!.
    Got the Talas since there were no floats around and paid the same. I thought I will never use it at 120mm but tried on some long climbs and it realy makes me climb with less efforts while pedal strikes kept to minimum.
    I may however find myself going the 36 route if/when I get board and after one summer since the SB66 is heavier than my previous 575 but climbs so much better leaving me way fresher.
    Amazing bike so far

mns
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    no experience with sb, but with my 575 (07) i saw huge improvement going from 32 talas (9mm axle) to 36 talas. Goes much much better. I don't even use the talas at the climbs (and here we have nice technical steep climbs)./
    go 36...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mns View Post
    no experience with sb, but with my 575 (07) i saw huge improvement going from 32 talas (9mm axle) to 36 talas. Goes much much better. I don't even use the talas at the climbs (and here we have nice technical steep climbs)./
    go 36...
    Agreed, but a 36 on my 575, and will never go back to a 32.

mtbr member
    After having a Lyric, a 36 Van, a 36 Talas, and then a 32 Float 150 I was extremely disappointed in the amount of flex that could be felt in the 32, and I'm about 155 lbs. As far as weight goes, I seem to remember the 36 Float tapered only being a hair under 5 pounds. I'll gladly trade the weight for the extra rigidity and confidence through the rough sections. As with chuckb77 I'll never go back to a 32.