Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Just Ride!!!!!

SB66 triangle crack by weld area or just paint?

Is it possible for the paint to crack by the weld area on the triangle? I took this picture on my triangle by the weld area and there was a hairline crack about 1/2" inch long. Then I steel brushed off the paint to see underneath and the weld looks solid. So what do you think? I know this is the area where the SB66's weakness is. I do only a maximum of 3foot drops and weight 200# fully loaded.

Click on Pic to zoom in (Before brushing paint off)
    SB66 triangle crack by weld area or just paint?-166030_428314283933377_1545686795_n.jpg

Click on Pic to zoom in (After brushing paint off and air compressed it to clean the dust off)
    SB66 triangle crack by weld area or just paint?-969150_428314367266702_1796867906_n.jpg

-

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'd give Yeti a call and ask them.

I've gotten excellent e-mail reponse to my (few) messages.

To me it's possible there's enough flex to crack the paint, but I am not a "materials" guy and it seems to me no matter what that flex there is not ideal.

Just Ride!!!!!
    Actually, after a few sidewalk drops, the crack now shows on the weld. SOB! Warranty time...

SB66 triangle crack by weld area or just paint?-img_1544.jpg

mtbr member
    Yep, that sure looks like a crack. A tactile investigation by loading the connecting parts by hand may allow you to see movement along the crack. To confirm for sure you can do a dye-penetrant test. Let us know how the warranty process goes.

Dye penetrant inspection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just Ride!!!!!
    Bought the Bike from JensonUSA last Nov, we'll see how long it takes to get an RMA triangle. Already emailed their warranty guy. Last time I requested replacement Yeti shock titanium bolts, it took two weeks to get them...

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch29 View Post
    Yep, that sure looks like a crack. A tactile investigation by loading the connecting parts by hand may allow you to see movement along the crack. To confirm for sure you can do a dye-penetrant test. Let us know how the warranty process goes.

Dye penetrant inspection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just Ride!!!!!
    Took it to a LBS to send it back to Yeti. I can't wait for Jenson to ship it for me and do a double shipping time. Yeti probably wont get the triangle till early next week. Already emailed the pics to Matt from Yeti and he confirmed that it's cracked and they would take care of me.

I Like Bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by mecam View Post
    Bought the Bike from JensonUSA last Nov, we'll see how long it takes to get an RMA triangle. Already emailed their warranty guy. Last time I requested replacement Yeti shock titanium bolts, it took two weeks to get them...
    My warranty claim was exactly 7 days from when it left my LBS, to when I picked it back up... 7 days! Yeti's bit was the quickest, as they shipped out a new front triangle + eccentric the day after they got it. Amazing service.

My front triangle + eccentric was swapped due a knocking at the inflection point of the stroke.

I dealt with Matt as well and he was super pleasant to work with.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Mine cracked in exactly the same spot a few months back. I didn't notice until it was around three quarters of the way around. Yeti replaced rear end no questions and I'm rolling again.

If you look in the SB-66 issues thread there appears to be a few people with identical problems. That being said the warranty from Yeti is heat so you shouldn't have any issues.

Just Ride!!!!!
    Yeah, I thought this was an issue with a particular welder in the 2011 models. Mine was a late 2012. Now every time I do a drop or jump, I will end up checking that area. I already knew about this issue before I bought the bike and I thought it was all good for 2012. I was shocked to see mine cracked and I don't even abuse this bike like other SB66 owners do.... Anyways, I'm expectiing to get my new triangle late this week or early next week.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Mine, too. Just took a closer look after reading this thread (thanks!). Dropped it at the shop this morning. Hoping for a quick turn around since Yeti is local.

No pix, because it would be impossible to see without the naked eye. The crack is just beginning, but clearly there. I suggest that all 66a owners pull the crankset, get a flashlight, and check their frames...
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

Just Ride!!!!!
    They should put some reinforcement there. Tell you what, I'm not feeling confident with this bike anymore the more I read about this issue.

--

Quote Originally Posted by snigs View Post
    Mine, too. Just took a closer look after reading this thread (thanks!). Dropped it at the shop this morning. Hoping for a quick turn around since Yeti is local.

No pix, because it would be impossible to see without the naked eye. The crack is just beginning, but clearly there. I suggest that all 66a owners pull the crankset, get a flashlight, and check their frames...

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    I do believe that mine is an early model from 2011. Bought it used, so unsure. I am expecting that this will not be an issue with the replacement part. FWIW...

And, Yeti has been very responsive. Easy to work with and understanding of the issue. No hassles. Good CS.

They should put some reinforcement there. Tell you what, I'm not feeling confident with this bike anymore the more I read about this issue.

--
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Does Yeti cover the shipping for warranty claims?

Just Ride!!!!!
    Yeti only covers the shipping back to your LBS. I paid my LBS ~$15 for packing and shipping my triangle because I didn't buy the bike from them. Your LBS should cover all shipping cost if you bought the bike from them.

Quote Originally Posted by mblittle View Post
    Does Yeti cover the shipping for warranty claims?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I bought the frame from Competitive Cyclist and built it up with parts from all over. CC offers a lifetime warranty but I guess I'd still go through Yeti since it is under the Yeti warranty still.

Just Ride!!!!!
    Yeah, you get life time warranty from CC and Yeti only offers 3 years on their frame. Plus they don't do the warranty replacement directly with the user. You would have to go thru a Yeti dealer to have them ship the broken part which kinda sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by mblittle View Post
    I bought the frame from Competitive Cyclist and built it up with parts from all over. CC offers a lifetime warranty but I guess I'd still go through Yeti since it is under the Yeti warranty still.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yeah I read that part about Yeti only working through dealers for the warranty after I posted, which means I'd have to go through CC b/c I built the bike up myself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Had this happen twice and that was enough for me to try something else. If I were you I would check the replacement one after a few weeks of riding.

Just Ride!!!!!
    That's not comforting to hear...

Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Had this happen twice and that was enough for me to try something else. If I were you I would check the replacement one after a few weeks of riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I really wasn't trying to be the poo in the pudding. Just keep an eye on it. I will say that Yeti was really quick with warranty though.

Just Ride!!!!!
    Whew, just finished putting her back together...

SB66 triangle crack by weld area or just paint?-532490_435442029887269_1383171256_n.jpg

The weld area seems a bit thinner and smoother on the replacement swing arm or maybe I'm just smoking crack. We'll see how she holds.

SB66 triangle crack by weld area or just paint?-1000908_435460689885403_16604562_n.jpg

26 for life.
    I'm on my third swingarm now & it looks like your new one now.
    Need another derailleur hanger now.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

Just Ride!!!!!
    3rd swingarm? Damn....

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiJohn View Post
    I'm on my third swingarm now & it looks like your new one now.
    Need another derailleur hanger now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

SB66 triangle crack by weld area or just paint?

Just noticed this today. It's a first run frame I believe, purchased from comp cyclist. Gonna call then tmw and hope things go smoothly. Super bummed. SB66 triangle crack by weld area or just paint?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372656388.835374.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Whew, just finished putting her back together...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	532490_435442029887269_1383171256_n.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	807819

The weld area seems a bit thinner and smoother on the replacement swing arm or maybe I'm just smoking crack. We'll see how she holds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000908_435460689885403_16604562_n.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	807820
    Hi. Where did you get the 30T chainring?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast