mtbr member
    Nov 2012

SB66 small play coming from the rear???

Hi Guys,
    I spent 3hours trying find out the small play that I discover. It is noticeable when I just pull the bike up by the seatpost (play is not coming from the seatpost) At the beginning I thought that might be my headset. So I took it apart and make sure is good with no play in the bearings. I am going nuts, tried looking to see if I can find out where the play is coming from it is killing me. Anyone ever had any issues? I read somewhere about bad badge of switch bearings, I am not sure what the symptoms are for that.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Mine does it as well and I think it's the rear wheel. If I just lift the back end I can feel it and when I had the bike on the stand last week with the wheel off there didn't appear to be any play in the linkage. I kind of think its QR skewer slop since it's not exactly a snug fit through the housing.

undercover brother
    I had some play after the first 3 weeks I got mine, but it was just one of the linakge bolts. Tightened it up and its been good to go. That would bug me. Take everything off... wheels, chain, pedals, fork... and see if the play is actually in the frame.

Lightly salted
    How many miles do you have on the bike? Could it be a worn du busing on the shock?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutgyr View Post
    Mine does it as well and I think it's the rear wheel. If I just lift the back end I can feel it and when I had the bike on the stand last week with the wheel off there didn't appear to be any play in the linkage. I kind of think its QR skewer slop since it's not exactly a snug fit through the housing.
    I will check that out tomorrow. Make sense. Didn't think of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    I had some play after the first 3 weeks I got mine, but it was just one of the linakge bolts. Tightened it up and its been good to go. That would bug me. Take everything off... wheels, chain, pedals, fork... and see if the play is actually in the frame.
    Did check all linkage bolts. Those were tight. I will start taking apart tomorrow. Already started looking for new bearings. Will try to find good brand like SKF or NSK. If I replaced the bearings what to do it once with quality ones
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    How many miles do you have on the bike? Could it be a worn du busing on the shock?
    I checked the bushings on the shock. Those seems fine. You couldn't fill the play coming from the shock

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Definately is not the rear wheel. So that leaves it to the pivot bearings or headset bearings. I will order new headset bearings since might be good idea to replace those first.

mtbr member
    Could it be a worn du busing on the shock?
    This is probably the issue. What you describe sounds like a worn DU bushing - rear most likely.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    This is probably the issue. What you describe sounds like a worn DU bushing - rear most likely.
    If I put my hand on the front tube of the frame (near by the headset) I can feel the play. I doesn't seem to come from the headset. I also try to look if any of the bushings on the shock are moving or feel loose but no luck.

Thanks for you feedback guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SB66 small play coming from the rear???-yetisb66_play.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Its most likely the DU bushing on the shock. You can order new plastic bushings from Fox for ~$30 and it will add some small bump sensitivity as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntro View Post
    Its most likely the DU bushing on the shock. You can order new plastic bushings from Fox for ~$30 and it will add some small bump sensitivity as well.
    Thanks.
    Will stop by my LBS and see if they have it in stock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anyone know what size I need to order? I was looking at the manual for 2012 and shows item number 26 - Reducer Fox 8x22mm, however when I go to Jenson USA - Online mountain & road bike parts, clothing and accessories shop they have 8x21.84 and 8x22.2. Which one is the right one?

Fox Shox Polymer DU Bushing Reducer Kit > Components > Rear Shocks | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I would call and order directly from Fox, they'll look up the parts for you. Also you might want to have them send you a rebuild kit for the shock as well. If your gonna have the shock off the bike and havent changed the packings in a while, it's worth doing.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    navip: 8x21.84 would be the size you want. That's what worked for my SB95 at least. ;^)

FWIW, the Cane Creek 8x22 was a very tight fit (when I went to a DBAir shock), that extra 0.16 was noticed, I think it removed the paint from the inside of the mount on the frame and was most-snug on the yoke. I would *not* go over-size as that would likely lead to weird metal fatigue in a bad place.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    navip: 8x21.84 would be the size you want. That's what worked for my SB95 at least. ;^)

FWIW, the Cane Creek 8x22 was a very tight fit (when I went to a DBAir shock), that extra 0.16 was noticed, I think it removed the paint from the inside of the mount on the frame and was most-snug on the yoke. I would *not* go over-size as that would likely lead to weird metal fatigue in a bad place.

Thanks!
    I will call Fox today and get the right size. Also might as well order the new seals per member suggestions.
    Last edited by navip; 08-19-2013 at 10:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The correct size is 8mmx21.84mm per Fox Rep. My local LBS has them in stock and I will pick it up set today. Thanks everyone

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just an update. I got the right size polymer DU bushings for Yeti SB66, installed them today and the small play is gone. Took forum members advice and change the seals of the shock as well. Can't wait to take it for a spin tomorrow.

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by navip View Post
    Just an update. I got the right size polymer DU bushings for Yeti SB66, installed them today and the small play is gone. Took forum members advice and change the seals of the shock as well. Can't wait to take it for a spin tomorrow.
    Cool.
    Depending on how much you ride, the du bushing can last over a year to just a couple months. good to keep an extra spare set handy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yup, du bushing replacement fixed mine too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Cool.
    Depending on how much you ride, the du bushing can last over a year to just a couple months. good to keep an extra spare set handy.
    Yep, I am ordering spare from FOX, since my local dealer charges arm and leg. Not sure why they do charge more than MSRP from FOX.

I Like Bicycles
    I had this issue on my SB-66 and Norco Aurum, both had Cane Creek shocks. I fixed both issues with some Teflon tape in the shock mount hardware.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    it really work??? where do you put the teflon tape in the yeti sb66? do you have a picture of it?
    No dudes, no temas, no te arrepientas.

I Like Bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by emeterio View Post
    it really work??? where do you put the teflon tape in the yeti sb66? do you have a picture of it?
    In between the axle and shock bushing. Make sure to apply some grease as well.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign