mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Sb66 rp23 advice needed

I have occasionally bottomed out my rp23 ctd on my sb 66c ( heard a sound as if rear tire rubbed the seat tube, but no evidence of it). I am getting correct sag at a certain psi when this happens. Is the remedy adding a volume spacer to the can or having it push'd tuned?

mtbr member
    Try the volume spacer first. If that doesn't do it for you look at a Monarch Plus or Float X. Push will do wonders, but I don't think it is worth dumping money into the RP23 if you are riding the bike as intended.

mtbr member
    Yeah, a volume spacer from Fox worked for me. I started small, then installed the middle size (I'm 200#).
    It took all of 5 minutes and total cost was under $20.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    Yeah, a volume spacer from Fox worked for me. I started small, then installed the middle size (I'm 200#).
    It took all of 5 minutes and total cost was under $20.
    Yeah I think I will try that.. I'm 240 geared up... Probably can't beat 25.00 investment

Single Track Addict
    Any further feed back / experience on this topic?
    I'm about 10 rides in on my new SB66c, and I'm finding it difficult to find the correct rear shock pressure to allow proper sag/ small bump compliance without blowing through the shock travel on larger hits.

I weigh about 250 fully dressed, I have my shock at 250 (10psi more than recommended) and I'm still almost pushing the oring off the shock shaft on easier trails.

It never fully comes off, but I'm concerned that I'm pushing the limits of the switch bumper and to a lesser extent, the shock.

Thoughts? Advice?
    Will ride singletrack for food...

******ed or Branded??
    sub.
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletboy View Post
    I'm about 10 rides in on my new SB66c, and I'm finding it difficult to find the correct rear shock pressure to allow proper sag/ small bump compliance without blowing through the shock travel on larger hits.

I weigh about 250 fully dressed, I have my shock at 250 (10psi more than recommended) and I'm still almost pushing the oring off the shock shaft on easier trails.

It never fully comes off, but I'm concerned that I'm pushing the limits of the switch bumper and to a lesser extent, the shock.

Thoughts? Advice?
    212lbs with gear, SB66C and original spec was a FOX CTD. Got the shock PUSH'd and it made it better (not blowing thru the travel) but not great. Switched to the new FOX Float X and wish I would have done it sooner! I run the air pressure around 210-212lbs and have not once felt that I've blown through the travel. No bottoming out on big hits and climb mode is significantly better. The CTD never felt like a good fit to the way the SB66C was designed to be ridden, hard and fast!!! Hope that helps..
    KV

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I just got my 2014 SB66C and have been on it once but am brainwashed on how "bad" the fox suspension is front and rear especially for someone that is 200lbs like me. I'd like to give it the benefit of the doubt and work with it especially since I can adjust the fork to 160 from 150 as well as some other tweaks. The shock is left to just simple air adjustments and clicker before spending money having it Pushed.
    I scored a *****en Pike 150 but am left wondering what the bike will feel like as a 160 and if its worth the extra money. Then the shock......

I spoke with Yeti and they stand behind the fox offerings which make me wonder what the Pike is like and what a float x shock or some other shock would be like
    All I want to do is ride and hopefully I can feel good about the fox suspension being just as good as the Pike fork or whatever other shock options.
    Beyond just throwing cash into the wind, I left to make the fox offerings work as best they can and hope that I'm not missing out on another level
    jacquemin

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You should always have the o-ring at the end of your shock after a ride or you are not set up to use your suspension. The SB is designed to be quite linear at the end so you want to use it. If you are bottoming often and running correct sag I would get the volume spacers as they work really well. You can also add some Float Fluid to decrease the volume and keep things well lubed. If you notice on long descents that you get "chirping" or the shock tends to fade I would use a Float X. I have run both and have to say the float x really opens up the bike in all CTD configurations, definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by bulletboy View Post

Thoughts? Advice?