mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Sb66, rear travel issue

Hi

I've got a problem with the rear travel on my sb66. About 30% into the travel there is a point with extra resistance. I have changed many of the bearings but still no change. Also checked the rear shock. Anyone else had this problem?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Do you feel this resistance change with the shock removed from the bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    How much resistance are we talking? Also, are you running a clutch rear derailleur by chance?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Don't have a rear dereuilleur. The point of resistance is pretty recognizable.

With the shock removed from the bike there is a bit resistance all the way except at the point the linkage turns.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FattigBalle View Post

With the shock removed from the bike there is a bit resistance all the way except at the point the linkage turns.
    Just installed XX1 on my SB-66A and noticed a changed in the rear travel. Would the clutch on the rear der be that noticeable?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FattigBalle View Post

I have the 95 ....but should be very close to the same in terms of stiction .
    I had a creak in my rear suspension , I took off my shock and noticed I had more stiction in my rear linkage than I thought it should have ...accept right when the lower link would reverse is was smoother. ( the thing is brand new ) So I Took it all apart and found the "O"ring sealing ring on the lower link was all dry and would cause the link to really drag during the first 90mm or so of travel but when it reversed it was not as bad, ....So I lubed every pivot , readjusted all the loaded bearings just right to where there is no play and lubed up the lower link real good all with "Slick Honey" and now my linkage moves very smooth through the whole movement

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WaySlowWhitey View Post
    Just installed XX1 on my SB-66A and noticed a changed in the rear travel. Would the clutch on the rear der be that noticeable?
    As much as I love the new clutch rear units there is a fair amount of resistance in these which will affect any rear suspension slightly , but only slightly . ( and I have a creak / catch in my clutch in my XX1 unit that I can't cure yet ...but I will )

I love my XX1 , and the way the clutch units shifts is just unreal , and the silent operation with no more chain slap or chain drop is so cool and second to none.

undercover brother
    My XT derailluer has a slight knock right past the sag point. No true "resistance" though as the forces that act on the suspension are much greater than that of the clutch.

I Like Bicycles
    Is the stiction/resistance felt when the shock is not installed? If you can feel the stiction/resistance with the shock removed, then there's a good possibility it's linkage related.

I had a similar issue with my SB66. I felt a bit of notchiness when the shock was removed. The issue was fixed when I got a new front triangle + eccentric + bearings under warranty (my frame was warrantied for a knocking issue at the inflection point).
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimk View Post
    Is the stiction/resistance felt when the shock is not installed? If you can feel the stiction/resistance with the shock removed, then there's a good possibility it's linkage related.

I had a similar issue with my SB66. I felt a bit of notchiness when the shock was removed. The issue was fixed when I got a new front triangle + eccentric + bearings under warranty (my frame was warrantied for a knocking issue at the inflection point).
    The resistance is also there without the shock installed, but is a bit different. With the shock installed I feel a resistance point at about 30% of shock travel. Without the shock there is resistance all the way except at the switch point.

I have compressed the shock off the bike and can't feel anything wrong with it.

I Like Bicycles
    At the bottom of the seat tube, there is a black stop bolt, remove it and cycle without the shock. Does it still have notchiness/resistance?

Also, try loosening some of the pivots and pinch bolts. Cycle suspension without shock and see if issue persists
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimk View Post

I saw your video of that ,( very good video by the way ) and the problem is in the left side bushing that the lower link rides in , that lower link bushing and seal on the left side is an area that needs to be kept clean , dry and lubed at all times , any little wear in that area will cause problems.

My linkage is silky smooth now and takes no effort to cycle it through the stroke, from new my bike was dry and had no lube on it and was getting sticky .

If I ever have a problem with my bushing I will probably make a better bushing or machine it out and replace it with a bearing like on the rt side