mtbr member
    Feb 2013

SB66 race or enduro

So who here thinks the sb66 race is worth the extra 1000 bucks or so over the enduro? I realize it's mostly a difference between shimano and sram but I dunno, maybe some of you have additional considerations worth hearing.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    I can tell you that the Race kit-equipped bikes tend to hold their (resale) value much better than those with enduro kits, but the bang-for-the-buck is a toss-up.

JP
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    To me there's a reason that cheaper stuff is, well, cheaper.

I always end up wearing out cheaper stuff more quickly than makes the cost difference worthwhile.

There's a big difference in wheelset for the two. I have no personal experience with the Mavic wheelsets though so can't say whether that's good or bad or in what way.

The Race specs a Fox 34 fork, the Enduro a 32, that would be a killer for me on the SB66 ... I'd *need* the better fork.

There can be secondary issues too...

- the less expensive cassettes allow the cogs to bite into the aluminum freehub bodies ... I'd rather pay $30 more for a cassette annually than buy a new freehub body. Now if DT would make steel freehub bodies available (like they USED to have) this would be less an issue.

=> For whatever reason, my '12 SB95 came with an SLX cassette (thought it was supposed to be XT) - and now the freehub body needs work to clean up where the cogs have bitten into it. I am replacing it with an XT (since four of the cogs are nearing wear-level and I'm putting on a new chain) and it's clear how much fabrication difference there is on the cogs between the two, not account for the fact that the big six cogs are on carries and won't bite the hub now.

- I just don't like Avid brakes, so there you are, whole build kit not for me. It's a personal choice though. But everyone I know who had Avids on their bikes has screaming brakes every time they get moist, and in NE PA it gets moist a lot. My XT's with sintered metal pads are more quiet than the Avids, and with organic pads are quiet like the grave.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Cool. This is good feedback. I was leaning towards the race kit actually just because I think shimano parts shift a bit smoother. Just not entirely convinced it's worth the extra G. But it sounds like it might be in terms of less maintenance and part quality in general. I didn't even notice that about the 34 shock so that's a nice plus.

mtbr member
    I got the Enduro a few years ago, replaced the crappy Avid 5s with XT a year ago and it was the best $200 I ever spent, will be replacing the rest of the drive train this winter. It worked but just never felt "tight.". The wheels have been no problems for my big arse, 235pds.