mtbr member
    Feb 2013

SB66 pivot bearing problems

So I've been practically dead set on my decision to make the purchase of the SB66 but Ive been seeing a few reviews complaining about the lack of reliability of the pivot bearing.

Yeti Cycles SB-66 All Mountain Full Suspension Reviews

There's 2 on there that complain about it. This kinda scares me considering A) how much the bike costs. B) The not-so-great 2 year warranty Yeti offers and C) The burlyness of the frame makes is pointless if the bearing needs to be replaced frequently. Especially since this bike boasts is ability to be used in XC, trail and AM. The reviewers clearly ride the bike quite a bit but that shouldn't change a thing.

Anyone want to weigh in on this on whether this is a serious concern?

mtbr member
    The bearings were changed from single row to dual row last year, so all should be normal now. There are many threads on the subject. There is no way Yeti would send you a SB66 with the old bearings. The bearings are all industry standard sizes and easily replaced, so I would not be concerned. Corrosion will exponentially accelerate bearing wear in general, so I try to avoid using water to clean my bikes.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Depending on usage, conditions (wet/dry), and cleaning habits, I'd expect the bearings to last a year or more ... but would be comfortable with at least some of the bearings needing annual replacement.

FWIW, on my '95 after six months of ownership I had 2 out of 7 bearings that absolutely needed replacement, one small bearing race on the yoke and the drive-side Switch bearing. The '95 has a bushing on the non-drive side of the Switch and it was fine. Taking the bearings out was easily done with a small hammer and some firm tapping (in fact the Switch has tapping guides milled into it on the inside). Replacing the large Switch bearings was easily done with a headset press, the rest with normal smaller bearing press. It really wasn't a big deal in the end. I wish Yeti had used a bearing on the non-drive side that matched the drive-side though. shrug.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Depending on usage, conditions (wet/dry), and cleaning habits, I'd expect the bearings to last a year or more ... but would be comfortable with at least some of the bearings needing annual replacement.

FWIW, on my '95 after six months of ownership I had 2 out of 7 bearings that absolutely needed replacement, one small bearing race on the yoke and the drive-side Switch bearing. The '95 has a bushing on the non-drive side of the Switch and it was fine. Taking the bearings out was easily done with a small hammer and some firm tapping (in fact the Switch has tapping guides milled into it on the inside). Replacing the large Switch bearings was easily done with a headset press, the rest with normal smaller bearing press. It really wasn't a big deal in the end. I wish Yeti had used a bearing on the non-drive side that matched the drive-side though. shrug.
    It's clear the guys in that review had a '12 sb66 but it's not clear whether the had the dual row TRB's or the single rows. In any case it sounds like the '13 won't have these problems and I'll just have to deal with the occasional bearing replacement which doesn't bother me too much so as long as it's not every month.