mtbr member
    Sep 2008

SB66 Owners and Climbing

All you owners in mountainous areas(not Florida).

When you climb (assume seated) are you always inclined to flip the CTD to climb mode or do you leave it in descend?

Would you consider a shock w/o a platform climb switch on that linkage design?

If you are on a climb and get out of the saddle does it sink into the travel pretty deep or does it stay high?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I usually ride with the CTD lever in Trail mode. I only flip it to climb on a long sustained fire road climb in the NC mountains, or when I'm riding gravel roads regardless of the grade. I find that the bike climbs better over technical terrain when in the trail mode than it does in the climb mode b/c the active suspension keeps the rear tire planted vs bouncing.

I don't know if I would consider a shock without a climb mode b/c if you are climbing miles and miles of very smooth double track or fire roads, it's nice to stiffen up the rear.

I find that when I stand up and mash on the pedals the rear suspension is much much more active than when seated. So much more active that I prefer to just switch to an easier gear and stay seated for quick steep climbs, vs standing and mashing up the hills.

mtbr member
    Coming from an FSR bike (stumpy, titus el guapo, enduro) this thing doesn't need a "pro pedal" any where near as much as a horst link bike. I find that if I do use anything more than the open position on the shock the bike tends to just ride more stiff vs feeling more effecient.

I use a 1x10 geared 34/ 36-12 so I don't do much sitting and spinning here in West Virginia with that gearing. Even with a more stomping climbing style I have no issues with the suspension.

I do run a volume spacer in my shock to try and avoid the bottoming I was having issues with. That might help me some but I was also running one in the CTD auto sag shock on my last stumpy evo too.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

undercover brother
    I leave mine in trail 90% of the time. The trick with the switch link is you really have to have 25-30% sag for the pedalling efficiency to be there.

mtbr member
    I just switched to a Cane Creek DB Air CS on mine, but with the Fox I rode it almost entirely in Descend mode and in Trail mode on longer/smoother climbs. Never rode it in Climb mode, the bike just doesn't need it.

mtbr member

SB66 Owners and Climbing

I, too, tend to climb in trail mode unless it's a long smooth climb. It lets me get better traction up the punchy stuff.

I do always flip it into decend mode. Unless I forget.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    I leave mine in trail 90% of the time. The trick with the switch link is you really have to have 25-30% sag for the pedalling efficiency to be there.
    +1 for this advice