Thread: SB66 Demo part1

mtbr member

SB66 Demo part1 & 2

Hey Guys
    I was a lucky guy today:, Decided to call the local Yeti dealer to check if the SB66s made it to Israel and when to expect a demo. To make it short, the demo bike just finished a tour with a local reviwer to the Negev, followed by a short demo with a local racer and made it's way to the LBS in my town. It's mine for 3 days now!. That's exactly how I started with my 575.
    So Medium White Enduro level it is, stem at 90mm and can be shorted for 70 for me but geometry was spot on. Did not feel like I was strched fwd in any way.
    I was very tired today and did not plan to ride before Saturday but no one can miss such an opportunity. Took it for almost 2 hrs and returned fresher than I was before.
    The bike is a real game changer!. Rode it only with open RP23 including on the road (mostly position 1) and enjoyed every pedal. For me it is clearly the best pedaling bike I ever rode and I did demo (few different rides) DW flux and 5 Spot (was on my short list) and twice Mojo SLs which were great and few others. I can not explain this but the bike feels like it transforms every little bit of pedaling energy into fwd motion. This is very different from my trusty 575 which clearly sucks pedaling energy and waste it somehow.
    Did I mention how well the bike climb?, well I never fully understood the complaints about the 575 "square edge" compliance and now I do. SB66 just irons obstacles when climbing.
    The only givaway on technical climbes is the low BB and some more pedal strikes than I am used to.
    The SB66 is so fast compared to my 2006 575 and any other bike I ever demoed and is an amazing machine on fast single tracks. Stable, stiff and very predictable. I also liked the "sporty" feel which you don't understand untill you ride yourself.
    The bike is a great descender however not as plush as the 575 (as was said even by Yeti) and is not a negative just a difference.

The biggest turnoff was the 2.25 Nobby Nic up front which is so skinny next to my trusty 2.4 Big Betty UST (I believed the compounds are different too). On the rocky slopes I learned to like lately, the front kept on washing off and destroyed my confidence on sections I clean twice a week. Very frustrating! as this tire does unjustice to this great bike.
    Jumping so far is not significantly better than on my 575, but it may be after I get used to the bike.
    So tommorow I don't plan to ride but Sat and Sun for sure. I want to replace the NN tire and and plan to mount the "big pig" (Hutchinson Octopus 2.5) upfront. It worked very well on my 575/819 and hope it will work also with the DT m1900.
    Anyone else felt the NN tire was a turnoff on the slopes?.
    Any other advice?.
    I can realy go for another ride now as it suddenly seems so easy..............

Part 2
    As I said above, the trails were wet and traction on the rocky slopes was poor so I did not attempt the slopes at all. Moreover, I was not succesful mounting the pig tire at 2.5 upfront and basicly had the same poor front tire.
    Peddaling: The day before yesterday I just pedaled on road in my town which is full of hills without locking the shock at used "1" position on the RP23. The bike felt extremly efficient standing, sitting, what have you. As said a great peddaling platform!.
    Yesterday, I went to the trails again for about 3 hours:
    Climbing: As was described by others, there is no match to the SB66 going up on any terrain. Rear wheel sticks to the ground and provides unexpected traction. Despite the muddy/wet conditions I was able to climb some rock steps I never attempt with the 575 as I know I'll get stuck at the edge. Even double or triple edges, the wheel just tracks and help you round the corners. This time I adjusted my pedal strikes a bit and did not feel I was hitting rocks on the technical sections.
    Stability: great, with the longer wheel base and lower BB. Combined with great traction and peddaling, it makes the bike extremely fast on single tracks.
    Note: Rear triangle is very wide and the ankles may rub and spoil the paint very easily. Needs to be protected. Also I agree with other tribe members complaining about paint longevity as the back triangle was realy not looking new on a bike that is maybe few weeks old.
    Bottom Line: I want one and going to check what deal I can get on the "Race" kit.
    I want to convert the DT Swiss X 1600 to UST. Can anyone say anything about these wheels with or without the conversion. Should I insist on different wheels?. The Nobby Nic's will not see the light of day on my bike. I see that some people keep them, but from their photos I understand they ride very different terrains.
    Any tire recommendation. I like Schwalbe UST, but just beacuse it is mostly dry during the year here(they suck on muddy conditions). Front should be 2.4 for my riding.
    Last edited by GreenBonty; 01-02-2012 at 12:20 AM.

mtbr member
    It not just the tire, but the crap skinny wheelsets they put on their bikes. You buy an all mountain bike with an 18mm wide wheelset. Really?

Good review though.

Erik

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

vs 575

Do you think it is worth upgrading from a 575? I could switch out all my parts and probably do it for less than $2000 out of pocket.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti575er View Post
    Do you think it is worth upgrading from a 575? I could switch out all my parts and probably do it for less than $2000 out of pocket.
    with the limited experience I have so far, I feel safe to say:
    1. SB66 will take you faster and with much less effort on most trails.
    2. It is very different from the 575 but preferences are subjective. The 575 has it's known merits when pointing down and some poeple may choose it just for that. My point is that prefference may not be only price or deal driven.
    3. I plan a longer ride tommorow but currently I think that it is likely for me to choose the SB66 as I may need a major change after 5.5 years on the 575 and more than that my perception that with the SB66, I'll ride more and longer rides just beacuse it is so nice to pedal. This may make me a better rider?
    Hope I did not confuse you too much

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty View Post
    with the limited experience I have so far, I feel safe to say:
    1. SB66 will take you faster and with much less effort on most trails.
    2. It is very different from the 575 but preferences are subjective. The 575 has it's known merits when pointing down and some poeple may choose it just for that. My point is that prefference may not be only price or deal driven.
    3. I plan a longer ride tommorow but currently I think that it is likely for me to choose the SB66 as I may need a major change after 5.5 years on the 575 and more than that my perception that with the SB66, I'll ride more and longer rides just beacuse it is so nice to pedal. This may make me a better rider?
    Hope I did not confuse you too much
    No. This is helpful. Thanks. I think unless i encounter an unexpected $2000, i am going to stick with my 575 for at least one more season. It took me the better part of two years to get the suspension tweaked to where i like it so it would be a change to trade it in. Thanks again!

Big Hittin'
    Cheers Mate. Good to see some riders in Israel. I havnt been back since i moved. mayby next year.

demo'ing a SB66 is fun :-). Gotta love hammering on a bike that doesnt belong to you hahah

i got a vid on the other thread.
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    It also depends on what year 575 you have. I got a 2011 575 and it's just as capable climber as the demo SB 66 I tried as long as you have the propedal on. The nice thing about the SB is you just leave the shock open and don't even worry about anything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew8404 View Post
    It also depends on what year 575 you have. I got a 2011 575 and it's just as capable climber as the demo SB 66 I tried as long as you have the propedal on. The nice thing about the SB is you just leave the shock open and don't even worry about anything.
    unfortunately for me the trails are soaking wet and traction will be OTF today so instead of riding, I am writing.
    To your point, I demoed the 2011 575 and loved it!. IMO, It is a dangerous weapon downhill and much better than my 2006 in that respect but for me, it does not climb better than mine and maybe the other way around.
    IMO, the 2011 575 does not climb nearly as good as the SB66 which is a breakthrough in that respect.

mtbr member
    Bump. Need some opinions onh the XT race kit and especialy the wheels

mtbr member
    Nice review. I had posted one comparing my 09 575 to a demo ride I took on a 66. I also had more pedal strikes, but another poster told me that the 575 actually has a lower BB. I checked the spec sheets and he was right (not a huge diff, maybe 0.3" if I recall). That said, I too thought the 66 felt lower, both from pedal strikes and also when cornering. I agree -- 66 is an awesome bike.

On the wheel option - I run Havens (tubeless) and really like them.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I guess the pedal strikes are due to the longer wheel base (this is also known with long SUVs). I think it can be negated with experience as my second ride was much better.
    Anyways. 99% I am buying the bike. Wheels will be most likely XT with QR as it's hard to find 142x12 unless I go XTR which is very expensive and probably not very practical.

Anyone thinks the XTR trail with 142x12 over the XT QR worth ~950$?.If yes I'll be happy to hear the reason.
    Last edited by GreenBonty; 01-16-2012 at 08:50 AM.

mtbr member
    GreenBonty, If I may ask... what made you select the SB66 over the Turner 5 Spot ? What were the major differences you noticed ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridetheridge View Post
    GreenBonty, If I may ask... what made you select the SB66 over the Turner 5 Spot ? What were the major differences you noticed ?
    RTR, please note that I am no hardcore MTBR nor an expert but I'll try. Also there has been over a year between demos and I try to recolect but I did spend about the same time (5hrs total?) on both where trail conditions were better for the Turner demo.

Ride:
    Climbing: SB66 climbs better IMO. Just irons everything including square edges better.
    Peddaling : SB66 feels lighter and more efficient for me, uphill and on relativley flat and fast trails.
    Stability: It is just more stable in my experience. Combine this with superb peddaling and it all translates to a faster less exhuasting ride for me.
    The spot is a great bike and I don't mean to say it is not good in all the above just that SB66 is better!.

Execuation:
    Build : The Turner DW linkage and welds around the "Taco" are not as convinicing as the solid build you get on the SB with the oversized tubes. Now my hope is that the "switch" will not dissapoint but if it will I know Yeti will take care of me.

Paint: Better on the Turner than Yeti

Tried to be fair and hope it helped...........

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Sounds like you had a great time on the SB66...I love my Schwalbes, but, as you know, we have a lot of soft forest dirt, in which they excel :-)

Post some pics when you get your delivered

The XT kit looks great....I have been thinking about getting the brakes, although my old XT sets are perfectly fine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo View Post
    Sounds like you had a great time on the SB66...I love my Schwalbes, but, as you know, we have a lot of soft forest dirt, in which they excel :-)

Post some pics when you get your delivered

The XT kit looks great....I have been thinking about getting the brakes, although my old XT sets are perfectly fine
    No picture yet but I saw the kit at the LBS today (Missing headset).Bike looks sick on team color!.
    2012 XT group looks solid.

My Build (copied from build thread):

Medium team color

2012 White TALAS 32 (got it for the same price as Float as all the Folats are gone for some time now)

Wheels: 2012 Shimano XT WH-M788 trail

F. Tire: WTB Bronson 2.35 UST

R. Tire: Maxis Ardent 2.25 UST

Crank: Shimano XT 780

Integarted BB: Shimano XT 780

Chain: Shimano HG94

Cassette: Shimano HG81

F. Shifter: Shimano XT 780

Rear Shift.: Shimano XT 780

Shifters :Shimano XT 780 (attached on break levers)

Bar: PRO Koryac Riser 710

Stem: PRO Koryac white 70mm

Breaks: Shimano XT 780/785

Rottors: Shimano 180F 160R

Calippers: Shimano XT 780/785

S. Post: PRO Koryac

Saddle: Pro Vaulture

Headset: CC

The build sounds great.... Those PRO components look really good....I have one of their stems on my road bike, it looks great and gets the job done without issue.

mtbr member

part 3

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo View Post
    The build sounds great.... Those PRO components look really good....I have one of their stems on my road bike, it looks great and gets the job done without issue.
    Got the bike these evening and here are some photos:

Still shines

still has to do all the set ups and maybe weigh it
    Last edited by GreenBonty; 01-16-2012 at 07:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Nice!
    Happy riding!

Looks awesome!

Enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Thanks guys!
    Took it for some urban yesterday. Lots of steps and 2' drops to hard flats and enjoyed every minute.
    Going down stairs the 575 will provid a little more chush but the SB stability is amazing IMO.
    Maiden ride only on the weekend but will sure do some more urbans till the rain stops