I Like Bicycles

SB66 + CCDB Air Experience

Just picked up a CCDB Air from the LBS. This will be replacing the somewhat problematic RP23 that came with the bike--there's a bit of a knock 1/3 into the stroke, and I find there's not as much mid-stroke as I'd like there to be.

Getting the shock through a LBS meant the mounting hardware was a mere $24 extra, which I don't mind as it was overall a damn good deal from my shop. Regular volume can, for now.

I'll be throwing it on my small SB66 tomorrow and will be updating this thread as I go along.

I hope this thread will be useful to some people out there in Interweb land:

SB66 + CCDB Air Experience-12342_10151314148906367_609615604_n.jpg

SB66 + CCDB Air Experience-540161_10151314149286367_1200626152_n.jpg
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    Nice one Thimk. I've had a DBAir on my 66c for a good six months and completely love it. It's taken a little bit of dialling in, which is all about personalisation for your riding style. For info, I requested a base tune from CC and they sent this, which was a great start:

Subject: RE: CCDB Air for Yeti SB66 Carbon

Start by engaging the negative air spring and then setting proper sag.

Open all adjusters counter clockwise. Be careful with the low speed adjusters they have small clicks, when you get near the end of the adjustment range and you feel resistance stop.

Now Turn Adjusters clockwise

HSR- 1.0-1.5 turns in from all out if getting bucked add .25 turn till symptom goes away.
    LSR 12-17 clicks from all out.
    HSC 0.5-1.0 turns in from all out.
    LSC 10-15 clicks in from all out.

Note settings are a guide each rider is different the choice is yours.

mtbr member
    Yep, everybody is different on setup. Here are my settings all from full in:

HSR - 2 turns in
    LSR - 9 Clicks in
    HSC - .75 turn in
    LSC - 6 to 10 clicks in

Sag is 25%.
    SEI Racing

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I noticed you guys are using percentage of clicks. Does the knob ever move itself back or forward to the click points? Can you feel a noticable different between 1 click and .75 clicks of HSC?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    I noticed you guys are using percentage of clicks. Does the knob ever move itself back or forward to the click points? Can you feel a noticable different between 1 click and .75 clicks of HSC?
    I have never had the knobs move on their own on my DB shocks. And I don't know about telling a difference between one click, but I could feel a difference on HSC between .5 and a full turn, and I settled in between the two. Truth be told though, if you get those adjustments right in just a general range, it will ride really good. Even the stock settings rode well on the bike. One other thing, I did have to change my settings after the shock had really broken in. I had to up the air pressure and the comp settings some.
    SEI Racing

I Like Bicycles
    Update April 12th:

This is what happens when your LBS gets you the wrong size adapters. I asked for 22mm x 8mm, and got 21.8mm x 8mm. Hope to get the right ones this week:

#1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

I Like Bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by shaighway View Post
    Nice one Thimk. I've had a DBAir on my 66c for a good six months and completely love it. It's taken a little bit of dialling in, which is all about personalisation for your riding style. For info, I requested a base tune from CC and they sent this, which was a great start:

Subject: RE: CCDB Air for Yeti SB66 Carbon

Start by engaging the negative air spring and then setting proper sag.

Open all adjusters counter clockwise. Be careful with the low speed adjusters they have small clicks, when you get near the end of the adjustment range and you feel resistance stop.

Now Turn Adjusters clockwise

HSR- 1.0-1.5 turns in from all out if getting bucked add .25 turn till symptom goes away.
    LSR 12-17 clicks from all out.
    HSC 0.5-1.0 turns in from all out.
    LSC 10-15 clicks in from all out.

Note settings are a guide each rider is different the choice is yours.
    Thanks.

Once I get the proper mount hardware, I think I'll start with these settings.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

I Like Bicycles
    Update April 13th:

Took it out for a quick driveway test and there's way more mid-stroke support than that RP23... Just what I wanted. Settings and PSI are a mess for now. I'm at around 25% sag, I think.

I'm looking at another 2 - 3 weeks until I get some proper trail and tuning time. The dirt here is mushy until then.

Fitting this thing in a small 66 is tight, very tight. The install process led to a few minor dings on that nice black finish:

SB66 + CCDB Air Experience-11588_101645326702138_71594576_n.jpg
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

http://fourpence.net
    Jun 2009
    Nice, I'm running a dbair as well. I hated the way the rp23 blew through the travel.

Can't tell you the exact settings, but I tend to add some high speed rebound when going on DH days. Really impressed on how little the shock moves when climbing!

Pictures of my build in my profile if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Do you guys recommend the DBAir for general and lightweight trail riding and aggro XC?

I have been on the fence about the DBAir. Read somewhere that it is horrible for the SB66 for being too linear or something like that (I am not too knowledgeable here).
    Other threads I hear enough raving to get me to order one.

I ride in very rocky and loose terrain. No extreme climbing - total elevation gain 300-400 meters and obviously not long DH sections for my local trails. Short sections with steep 6-9% descents and similar climbs (1.2km long at most).

Another question - if I manage to upgrade to an SB95C, can I migrate my DBAir to it as well?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've had the DB Air on my SB66c for a few weeks now. Loving it so far. Much preferred to the 2013 CTD.

I Like Bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by m1neral View Post
    I've had the DB Air on my SB66c for a few weeks now. Loving it so far. Much preferred to the 2013 CTD.
    I've just ordered the XV can through my LBS. I find that if the shock is not at ~33% sag, the rear rides a bit harsh can sometimes get caught up in rooty sections.

Otherwise, it's a solid improvement over the RP23, which has become the back-up shock.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

I Like Bicycles
    As another update, I find CC's mounting hardware is quite far from perfect. Unless properly lubed, the O-rings can make a bit of a squealing noise. Also, there is a very small bit of play even with the proper hardware. I've fixed this issue about 80% with the use of plumber's (Teflon) tape in the mounting hardware.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I demoed the shock from MTBSuspensionExperts and they sent the newer hardware, no play or noise yet. The Fox did develop play though... had it on for about 1100 miles prior to switching over to the CC so not completely unexpected.

Gary from Cane Creek tells me the XV can is not necessary for the 66. Let us know how it feels once you have it installed. I still have a lot of tinkering to do, but its such a significant improvement over the Fox already. Considerable stability when getting any air... hucks, drops, jumps are all super smooth.

I Like Bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by m1neral View Post
    I demoed the shock from MTBSuspensionExperts and they sent the newer hardware, no play or noise yet. The Fox did develop play though... had it on for about 1100 miles prior to switching over to the CC so not completely unexpected.

Gary from Cane Creek tells me the XV can is not necessary for the 66. Let us know how it feels once you have it installed. I still have a lot of tinkering to do, but its such a significant improvement over the Fox already. Considerable stability when getting any air... hucks, drops, jumps are all super smooth.
    What new hardware? The set that I have has an axle, aluminium spacer and rubber ring. I'm not sure if this is the new set then.

The XV can is only $40. I think the volume I'm looking for is smack between the standard can and XV, so I'll be throwing in a bit of spacer in there.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Let me back up on that -- like you, I was sent the wrong hardware at first. The properly sized stuff ("new hardware") that came in fit like a glove with no play. Sorry for the confusion.

In other news, CC just announced the new DB Air CS model ("Climb Switch") so I'm going to exchange my almost-new DB for that guy. Should be available in a month or so. Back on the Fox til then.