Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism

SB66 and 50mm Stem

After reading one of the threads where John P. mentioned that the factory guys were running a 50mm stem on their SBs, I thought about trying it.

My usual ride is a 30 minute uphill road grunt followed by DH, which is rocky, rooty and rocky. Parts of the trail are very fast, parts are slow due to the rocks

Did this Saturday and enjoyed the bike with the stock 70mm stem.

Switched it out and rode the DH Tuesday night. The stem switch seems to have made the bike more playful and more nimble. It was a good upgrade.

Wonder if there are any more 'factory' tips.

Oni

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Dd the same on mine, much better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I like a 50mm much better and it didnt negatively impact climbing at all.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I was running a 70mm on my large sb66a and switched a 50mm mainly to decrease the reach to the bars but I haven't noticed any negative effects on climbs.

mtbr member
    Switching to a shorter stem, did you guys happen to upgrade to wider handlebars? I've been contemplating on getting a 50mm for my 575.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm running 720mm bars and didn't see the need to go any wider when dropping to a 50mm stem. I already hit a lot of trees as it is on my local single track.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Went 50mm stem, 780mm bars and dropped them down to one 5mm spacer. Awesome.

mtbr member
    I have always ran 50mm stems on my bike for handling reasons, but the 66 is the first bike that actually fits me properly for running it. : )
    SEI Racing

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy R View Post
    I have always ran 50mm stems on my bike for handling reasons, but the 66 is the first bike that actually fits me properly for running it. : )
    Ha. Same w/ me. Went from L Nomad w/ 50mm stem to M 66c w/ 50mm stem and the latter fit much better.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I'm 5'8" and the medium demo bike was a stretch..think they had a 70mm on it? So it's good to hear this feedback on the 50mm stem. Currently on a medium 575 '08 with 60mm stem.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

I Like Bicycles
    50mm Thomson on mine as well.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    +1. Started with a 70. Pain in crotch and shoulders from sliding forward because of the long reach. Went to a 50 and viola! Comfort and better feel dh. Win win.

I second the modestly wide bars. Running Easton Haven Carbons.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I'm 5'8" and the medium demo bike was a stretch..think they had a 70mm on it? So it's good to hear this feedback on the 50mm stem. Currently on a medium 575 '08 with 60mm stem.
    azdog -- If you get a chance to ride the SB 66 with a 50mm stem can you let me know what you thought of the sizing.
    I'm the same height as you and riding an ASR 5C with a 50 stem. Fit is pretty good, maybe a bit big. I would think the extra 1/2 inch top tube of the SB 66 would be too long and had given up on the idea of that frame.
    I sort of feel I'm in between sizes (small and medium) for the SB 66 and was leaning more toward an Mojo HD or Pivot 5.7C for my next frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Oni View Post
    After reading one of the threads where John P. mentioned that the factory guys were running a 50mm stem on their SBs, I thought about trying it.
    Same here. I'm 5'8" and was running 710mm bars and a 70mm stem on my med SB-66. First thing I noticed with the 50mm stem was that I had trouble keeping the front wheel tracking on steep climbs, and the steering felt twitchy. As I adjusted to the new geo that got better. I liked it on the descents and I liked the slightly more upright position, but overall it didn't feel like a complete win and I was wishing I'd bought a 60mm stem. Then I switched to a 760mm bar FTW. I love this combo! I've clipped a few trees with the 760s - one of which to a brutal crash I'm still feeling. I might chop them to 740, but I haven't done that yet because they feel so good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by barcolounger View Post
    Same here. I'm 5'8" and was running 710mm bars and a 70mm stem on my med SB-66. First thing I noticed with the 50mm stem was that I had trouble keeping the front wheel tracking on steep climbs, and the steering felt twitchy. As I adjusted to the new geo that got better. I liked it on the descents and I liked the slightly more upright position, but overall it didn't feel like a complete win and I was wishing I'd bought a 60mm stem. Then I switched to a 760mm bar FTW. I love this combo! I've clipped a few trees with the 760s - one of which to a brutal crash I'm still feeling. I might chop them to 740, but I haven't done that yet because they feel so good.
    barcolounger -- How are you finding the medium size with that stem at your height?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Medium feels great, and it felt fine with both stems. I didn't try any other sizes though. My previous bike was a medium Ibis Mojo and it felt a bit small.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snigs View Post
    +1. Started with a 70. Pain in crotch and shoulders from sliding forward because of the long reach. Went to a 50 and viola! Comfort and better feel dh. Win win.

Same here. Pain is gone with 70 to 50 change and control improved.
    Riding a 710 Pro bars which are fine for me.
    Best control upgrade observed when replaced Pro gripps to ODI.
    ODIs adds much confidence!!!!.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by jon123 View Post
    azdog -- If you get a chance to ride the SB 66 with a 50mm stem can you let me know what you thought of the sizing.
    I'm the same height as you and riding an ASR 5C with a 50 stem. Fit is pretty good, maybe a bit big. I would think the extra 1/2 inch top tube of the SB 66 would be too long and had given up on the idea of that frame.
    I sort of feel I'm in between sizes (small and medium) for the SB 66 and was leaning more toward an Mojo HD or Pivot 5.7C for my next frame.
    Will do. Looking to head over to the factory this summer. I forgot to mention that I am running 760mm bars which I will be trasferring over. Sounds like barcolounger answered this question for us but gonna try for myself as well.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I disagree. I feel that a 120mm stem is atrociously underrated on the SB66. Sure the YETI "pros" are running a furturistic 50mm handlebar guide but the next level for overall steering surpremacy falls to a longer member.

*Im 5'7-3/4":Small SB:50mmx0riseeity Blacklabel 30" HB

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism
    RAMS, you're too EXTREME! for the rest of us. I bow to your badassness.

Oni

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    A longer member is better all around

Mine's just 40 mill so I'm embarrassed

mtbr member
    RAMS,

I see you are on a small? Did you try the medium, and if so what didn't you like (or why did you prefer the small)?

Jon

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I compared the geo of the SB66 to the geo of my small ASRc and determined that the medium was out of the question. I was worried that the TT length of the SB66 would be to long but with a 50mm stem its perfect. Hope that helps