mtbr member

SB5 would you buy unseen ?

So i dont have a LBS close buy to test one out and i've been researching 130mm travel trail bikes that can do some light duty DH too. So it boils down to the Yeti or a Norco Sight which i tested in a parking lot. But would you buy the Yeti sight unseen ? I know this is in the Yeti forum and i'll prolly get a bunch of bias replies but with all the positive reviews and it seems yeti cleared up some issues with the 2016 mainly with the rear shock being the new DPS vs CTD. This Yeti im looking at has a Pike RCT3 150 not the new Fox 34. Would you pull the trigger ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

SB5 would you buy unseen ?

Tough decision....

I think any bike at this price point will be a really good bike with subtle differences between them. Most importantly would be the fitment of the bike relative to your body geometry, there is only do much you can to with stem length and seat posts.

If it makes you feel any better, I just purchased an ARC carbon with never riding one. We'll see later this spring if that was a good decision...

Chilling out
    In 2012 I bought a SB95a, sight-unseen (no LBS carrying or demos w/in 24 hours driving range), and had to put a phat deposit down to special-order in addition.

I struggled a bit with sizing but did all I could with what I know works for me, and the yeti-published geometry and took my chances, and i've been extremely happy with the bike.

It'll be 4 years old come June 6th. :^)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just did the same thing. No LBS selling yetis nearby and I pulled the trigger. Hardest part was picking the right size but I did the same thing Bear did and picked based on published reach and stack. I've only had the bike for a few weeks but very happy with it (coming from a santa cruz solo).

Yasmine A.
    Nov 2013
    I got to test ride an SB5c in Israel but felt this bike was waaaay ahead of my skills, my wallet and what I was used to riding (a heavily abused Giant trance x2). Few months after I was in Europe, and what the heck, looked for a dealer in Geneva, paid and went to pick up the 5c days later. A part of me couldn't believe what I just did, as this is by far one of my biggest purchases.

I am an avid rider, definitely not a pro, but I can tell you that last weekend I went to ride at my local lift assisted DH trails and day after I rode a 30+km of easy xc trails. She is simply capable of everything. And unless you are a hardcore DH rider wouldn't worry too much about the shock... so far I am happy with my CTD and will move to float x only when I feel that I am out-performing the in line shock. Mine too has the Pike 150 and I love it

My riding has been improving because I am more motivated and trust the machine I am riding. Go for it!
    - Riding Yeti SB5C and Giant Trance X2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The one other point I would add is the head tube is quite long, which you can't feel the effect of without a test ride. I'm running no spacers and a low rise bar and it's still a tall front end. I've adapted to it but it's something to be aware of if you are going to buy without a test ride.

mtbr member
    csm024- what rise are u using ? im looking at the RF Sixc 20mm rise. The bike is coming with an ZS headset and i do slam my stems down with 2 10mm spacers play with. But if youre saying the HT is high then maybe running the RF with a 10mm rise instead and only 1 spacer...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cmeride View Post
    csm024- what rise are u using ? im looking at the RF Sixc 20mm rise. The bike is coming with an ZS headset and i do slam my stems down with 2 10mm spacers play with. But if youre saying the HT is high then maybe running the RF with a 10mm rise instead and only 1 spacer...

20mm. Same as what you are looking at, with zero stack headset and no stem spacers. I'm new to the yeti brand but I understand long head tubes (leading to high stack) is a common characteristic of yeti frames.

mtbr member
    I would not buy unseen. Fit is too important. Demo it first.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Love my sb5. Love it. But that's too much coin not to ride it first.

mtbr member
    I would if i could but i cant so, i took the leap, got a GREAT deal from CC so if it dont work out i can always resale. But bikes at this caliber you really cant go wrong i suppose..Fingers crossed lol..

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Difficult question.
    For sure: Pulling the trigger on such a nice bike cannot be wrong (unless your family doesn´t have anyhting to eat after that any more). Those rigs are just fun, ridiculous fun. Fun that keeps repeating itself.
    Having said that, there is options, also within the Yeti portfolio: SB4.5c and SB6c are nearby, all sharing the switch link. But with different flavours.
    So if you exactly know that it needs to be a 5 inch travel bike with that fork and that geometry, no regret, guaranteed.
    But if you are not sure about whether 6 inch wouldn´t be even more fun (or a stiff 4.5 29er even), then demo around.
    Enjoy
    B

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post
    I would not buy unseen. Fit is too important. Demo it first.
    +1

absolutely, without a doubt, OP you need to test ride before buying... too big an investment to get it wrong

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    EVIL Following

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    +1

absolutely, without a doubt, OP you need to test ride before buying... too big an investment to get it wrong
    Sounds like he already ordered it =\

Good luck OP, hope it does indeed fit.