mtbr member
    May 2007

Sb5 Enduro vs Custom sb5

I'm getting a little closer to settling on a bike and am weighing out the cost:benefit ratios of my options.
    If there was a GX build of the sb5c like there is on the sb4.5c that would probably be my choice as the XO build from Yeti is out of my price range

1)The nearest Yeti dealer to me is 1.5-2 hrs away. They have an Enduro in stock and can knock a couple hundred bucks off the price since I wouldn't be able to use their extended service plan. This option would leave enough money to upgrade a few parts if I wanted to or buy some nice wheels

2)Same dealer has offered to build up a frame with the standard frame, fork and shock with more or less the same parts from the Enduro model for around $6k.

Is the performance of the Fox Factory fork and shock and lighter frame on the sb5c worth the extra money over the Performance models on the Enduro build?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    In 2) you're essentially spending $1500 to save 0.75lbs on frame weight and a kashima coat on the shocks. Supposedly the FIT damper is really nice but you can just swap that in for $250 (fox sells just the damper). If they'll knock a few hundred off the enduro build would they do that on the X01 as well? Because if you're already willing to spend $6k on a compromise, maybe just save up a few hundred more to get the bike you really want?

Is it worth it? Only you can answer that. It depends on how sensitive YOU are to suspension set up. Can you feel the difference between a linear coil spring and a progressive air spring's mid stroke ramp up while cornering? If not you most likely won't feel the difference between the performance and factory shock and can save yourself a lot of money. Whichever build you go with, you'll have a sweet bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgregorie View Post
    I'm getting a little closer to settling on a bike and am weighing out the cost:benefit ratios of my options.
    If there was a GX build of the sb5c like there is on the sb4.5c that would probably be my choice as the XO build from Yeti is out of my price range

1)The nearest Yeti dealer to me is 1.5-2 hrs away. They have an Enduro in stock and can knock a couple hundred bucks off the price since I wouldn't be able to use their extended service plan. This option would leave enough money to upgrade a few parts if I wanted to or buy some nice wheels

2)Same dealer has offered to build up a frame with the standard frame, fork and shock with more or less the same parts from the Enduro model for around $6k.

Is the performance of the Fox Factory fork and shock and lighter frame on the sb5c worth the extra money over the Performance models on the Enduro build?
    In my opinion the fork and shock is something you wan't to spend the extra money on. You'd be happier with a custom build and I'm guessing you could come in under $5800.
    Frame with DPS Kashima: $3400....AJ discount gives you $340 back in 3 months
    Fork: Fox float 16' fit 4....$700 new but I have bought them for $650 new with patience.
    Drive train group: Shimano XT....$225 Shifter, R. Der, Cassette and Chain
    Brakes and IT rotors: Shimano XT....F&R $235
    Crankset: RF Turbine 170mm w 30T....$209
    BB & Headset: RF BB $45 Cane Creek HS $60
    Dropper & Saddle: RF Turbine $350 / SDG Ti $60
    Wheelset: Easton ARC 27 & DT swiss 350 hubs laced $550 new.
    Tires: Maxxis: F&R $120
    Handlebar: RF Six C 785mm $130
    Stem: Deity 35mm $75
    Build it yourself: Free
    Pro bike shop build: $175
    Total:$5,800 for an amazing bike give or take a few dollars and maybe some additional cash back. No tax and you can pick and choose your colors.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    Also it is good that you have a Yeti dealer close so by all means support them if you are treated well and you can build a relationship. I didn't have a Yeti dealer in Las Vegas until a month ago and My 5c and 6c were all custom builds as well as my new 4.5c which the frame arrives Wednesday. I won't be supporting my local dealer as I already understand the attitude they have.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the input. The guy at the shop has been helpful but they're not exactly local to me. I wouldn't call 2 hours close but then I don't live in Vegas which is pretty far from anything else. However having them 2 hours away is better than none at all, so I would rather deal with them if I can.

Just got an internet quote for the XO build with a few different parts than stock (bars, stem, saddle - nothing major) that is about the same as the shop was going to build up a GX. Now I see why the LBS has trouble competing.

I'm trying to stay as close to 5k as I can , but I feel my wallet sliding into the abyss

mtbr member
    I saw a brand new Enduro build size M on a popular website for 3,500 BIN if it fits you !!!
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks. I saw that but I'm a large

mtbr member
    Enduro and don't look back. Who cares about 3/4lb? You're XC not racing, and you're actually getting a burlier frame. Save the extra cash and support a local-ish shop at the same time.

mtbr member
    I emailed Yeti and they told me the Enduro frame is 4 oz heavier due to a different carbon lay-up. The 4 oz wouldn't bother me but I'm not a fan of the polished finished myself.

I'll send you a PM as well.

mtbr member
    Your going to get a great bike no matter what dgregorie. !!!! I'll tell you that the 5c will be everything you want and exceed your expectations so GL with whatever you decide.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    Since your shop isn't local, I'd buy online and bring it to the shop that is close and that you trust. Have them build it up and make some friends there. That way you're accomplishing your cost goals (kind of), and supporting a shop that you'll be frequenting any way.

I've had an Sb5 and Sb6. Both are great bikes. If you buy the enduro version will you be thinking you should've gotten the better components later? If so, just do it now. The cost of upgrading later will outweigh the savings today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wooly88 View Post
    Since your shop isn't local, I'd buy online and bring it to the shop that is close and that you trust. Have them build it up and make some friends there. That way you're accomplishing your cost goals (kind of), and supporting a shop that you'll be frequenting any way.

I've had an Sb5 and Sb6. Both are great bikes. If you buy the enduro version will you be thinking you should've gotten the better components later? If so, just do it now. The cost of upgrading later will outweigh the savings today.
    This is what I wanted to say but didn't want to come off as a guy that doesn't support the Yeti dealer. The bottom line is any bike shop would be thrilled to build your bike and maintain it for you in the future if your not inclined to do your own work. That enduro build is lacking in many areas and the weight difference is the least important factor. The Group is so so but I can Guarantee you you will get the upgrade itch so just build it with what you want the first time. The wheels are starter wheels so you'd be better served with something else.The Fork and shock are my big worries as you'll always want to invest in top end suspension and wheels first. PM me if you want some of my advice as I've built up 5 bikes from the frame up. The bottom line is your spending your hard earned money for something that you want to never regret compromising for.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    I just got a custom built SB5C from competitivecyclist/backcountry (I live 20 minutes from their HQ). I had bought from a local shop, which gets all of my business, and still will, but they just weren't able to customize to the extent I wanted. I got a high end customized version for the price of the X01 build. They could help you, I'm sure.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I just got a custom built SB5C from competitivecyclist/backcountry (I live 20 minutes from their HQ). I had bought from a local shop, which gets all of my business, and still will, but they just weren't able to customize to the extent I wanted. I got a high end customized version for the price of the X01 build. They could help you, I'm sure.
    CC/BC are helpful indeed.

Wondering if you may be have an idea why they cannot supply original yeti box with manufactury built bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SergeiK View Post
    CC/BC are helpful indeed.

Wondering if you may be have an idea why they cannot supply original yeti box with manufactury built bike?
    I suppose they would have given me all of the packaging if I'd asked....they just have to throw the stuff away anyway. In fact, they may have some laying around to be disposed of, if you live locally and need it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    So, after reading this thread...is the consensus to build custom vs. enduro build?

I really wish Yeti would sell the enduro frames and not upsell the 5c frames/build kit.