mtbr member

SB eccentric trashed

Who has had to completely rebuild their eccentric? Bought my frame (95) Nov '12. I had mine apart back in the spring and everything was tight and looked brand new. It sat pretty much all summer during the xc racing season and I've been riding it pretty regularly now the last couple months. Decided to open it up again and to my disappointment, the eccentric is trashed. Bearing would hardly turn, bushing looks ok, but the left "axle" (blue aluminum part) is badly worn through the anodizing and is grooved. All the other small radial bearings in the upper link are ok. I was looking on the yeti site and the rebuild kits are freakin crazy expensive. If I'm forced to buy the kits, I'm looking at 150 for the bearing kit and 175 for eccentric kit. That's ridiculous. Not happy at all. Looking at the owners manual parts break down, I really only need the left eccentric axle #17, quad ring #18, and the right bearing #12. The bearing isn't a big deal as it can be sourced elsewhere. I've contacted my LBS to see if it is possible to forgo buying the kits and get the individual parts that I need.

I was able to flush out the bearing and get it to function, but it is badly pitted. I wouldn't saying the left axle is sloppy in the bushing, but spins very freely. Before, it was very tight, very hard to rotate by hand. So, I'm still rolling, but its just a matter of time before the left bushing/axle gets sloppy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have worried about this but I am look at it this way... a little bit of maintenance may go a long way. I would expect it to be better sealed, longer life, yada yada. However given how effing rad the geo and bike is I am going to spend my time temporally tearing it down and doing some PM. I have started doing this on my 2 KTMs and it makes things stay smoother way longer which in turns keeps the cost of ownership down.

mtbr member
    I'm also ocd when it comes to maintenance. I haven't put that many hrs on it since I last serviced the eccentric. This would be a different story if I had ridden hard for a whole year and opened it up to find it trashed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    How often are you guys opening it up for service?

mtbr member
    The first time I serviced it was at 35hrs. I've put another 35hrs on it since. I consider that way too frequent. Like any bearing, it's going to depend on how much you ride in wet conditions and how you wash your bike. There is no such thing as a sealed bearing when it comes to mtb's. I've only done two wet rides, that I recall, since the last service.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Last winter I priced the bearings separately from a couple sources and could not come up with a way to get a set that was significantly cheaper than the kit from Yeti, plus I never found a source for the NDS bushing on the sb95 ... the sb66 may be easier since IIRC it uses bearings on both sides.

When I rebuilt it last winter I added an o-ring to the NDS side to help fight against crap getting into the bushing, we'll see how that worked in about another month or so. The bike is running fine and it's just about time for me to start the rebuild. I won't be surprised if I need to replace all the bearings and the bushing. I've We'll see whether I need to do any replacement Switch parts.

mtbr member
    Bear, I found the same thing with the bearings prices. I don't mind paying for the bearings. The eccentric axle is what really bothers me. I was surprised that the other 6 small bearings aren't even notchy. How did you add an oring to nds on top of the quad ring?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    How did you add an oring to nds on top of the quad ring?
    I ended up with a couple quad-r-rings for the sb66 (don't ask) which happen to be LARGER than that for the sb95, if you cut a small section out you can make one fit perfectly, without inducing any resistance, over the bushing. I added a little slick honey on both sides and left it that way when I put the whole assembly back together last winter.

I probably should set a quarterly schedule of tearing it down and cleaning it. I already do that for the fork, it'd probably be worth-while for the Switch too. I guess I find out this year.

Last winter I had about 1600 miles on the bike and no sign of wear on the Switch eccentric, I'll have somewhere approaching 3k miles on it for this year when it gets torn down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I probably should set a quarterly schedule of tearing it down and cleaning it. I already do that for the fork, it'd probably be worth-while for the Switch too. I guess I find out this year.
    My thoughts exactly. Its really not that hard to take apart. I usually pull the crank, but its not necessary. Do you ride in muck very often?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Its really not that hard to take apart. I usually pull the crank, but its not necessary. Do you ride in muck very often?
    I don't muck-ride very often, mostly because there's enough good weather that I don't need to. I don't live in the Pacific North Wet region after all. BUT there's often moisture. Creek crossings, etc. Every now and then I end up with a long wet ride.

I got a little spoiled when I lived in Austin because there's basically *no* riding of wet trail there, the trails can't take it - if it's wet - but mostly it's not wet.

mtbr member
    LBS ended up ordering the individual parts for me at a very reasonable price. The bushing is kind of a pain to remove/install, but everything else is cake.