Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

SB-95: Turquoise or Black and any upgrades

I'm about to order a 95 - race kit. Would you do turquoise or black? I'm in Atlanta. I like both colors...do I need mad skills to ride on the turq without looking like a flashy poser JK

I'm also wanting to swap out for carbon when it's released so resale ease of the alloy frame is also a consideration.

Changes I want so far:

1. Different seat - like a Gobi...the stock seat doesn't work with my arss
    2. Some lighter tires than the Maxxis - Thinking Schwalbes (Rocket Ron front/Racing Ralph back)?
    3. Chris King headset

Any other recommendations that I can swap out without any major costs incurred based on experience?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Black it is.. Love the stealth looks. People always come and ask what bike it is and how good it looks.
    A nice set of wheels will be something that you may want to look at. Stans Crest should be a good option.

mtbr member
    I'm struggling with a similar question on colors (in Atlanta as well, coincidentally). I'm looking at an ASR-5 in either black ano or turquoise. At first, it seemed foolish to post a question about colors on this board -- kinda like going to a guitar message board and asking "what music should I listen to?" but it works. People gave a lot of good opinions on colors.

Some things I learned about the turquoise: one, it looks nicer in the shop than in pictures. I haven't seen one live yet so I can't comment. I also think it's important that turquoise is Yeti's signature color. No one else encroaches on that color so there is NO DOUBT from a distance what bike you're riding. Nearly everyone makes a black bike.

Next to consider are component colors. I'm going to put as much blue as I can on my bike. I don't know exactly how and where but any time I have a color choice, it's going to be blue. Electric blue doesn't seem to go well with Yeti turquoise so I'm probably going with a black frame. However, if you are going for a lot of white, you DEFINITELY need to go with turquoise. White and turquoise, to me, are as Yeti as it comes. Reminds me of the old ARC that I'm still trying to find in a small!

Just please don't do red components on a black frame...ugh. Is there any more overdone color combination than that? (I'm also a Georgia Tech grad so I can't do red ANYTHING...Go Jackets, To Hell with UGA! )

I wouldn't worry a bit about the poser thing. Atlanta riders seem to be the most unpretentious cyclists I've run into. I rode in CO and CA for years before moving back to the ATL and don't see a lot of bike judging going on here! (Southern CA was a different story...hehe)

Wow...I think I just talked myself out of black and back in to turquoise. The ASR-5 has a black swingarm so if I put a white Fox fork on the front, it would have the old ARC color scheme. A bit more white and the bike would look GREAT.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

EDR
    I had a turq 575. It looked good enough to hang on the wall as art. Also even in a crowd of high end bikes it stands out, but not in an obnoxious way. That being said the last 2 Yeti's I've bought have been black. Love the black and it's much much easier to match colors with black. Not much goes well with turq other than black or white, other than that it all clashes.

You can make turq work just stick to basic black or white flashes and fork. Forget colored hubs and post colars etc etc. The ano colors don't match and the whole thing starts to become fugly and cheap looking imo, almost cartoon-ish. But I'm one of the few who thought the anniversary edition of the 575 was butt ugly so take my opinion with a grain of salt, lol. Like the nostalgia , hate the look. And this bike is blinged out with expensive matching parts so it barely works. Try doing that on your own dime.

-Resale: I'd go for black if that's really a concern. Yet's don't command the same resale as mass marketed bikes like Specialized. They buyers pool is smaller b/c many people have never even heard of small companies. Some will look at the turq and be turned off right away b/c it looks 'weird' or different. That's based on my experience of selling my '05 turq bike with a Pike fork and UST Mavic wheels in '08. I got $900 for the entire bike, my buddy got $1300 or $1500 for his '04 Spechy Stumpjumper that same year
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SB-95: Turquoise or Black and any upgrades-chuckt575111ws.jpg  

Last edited by eatdrinkride; 02-02-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by lwalton View Post
    I'm about to order a 95 - race kit. Would you do turquoise or black? I'm in Atlanta. I like both colors...do I need mad skills to ride on the turq without looking like a flashy poser JK

I'm also wanting to swap out for carbon when it's released so resale ease of the alloy frame is also a consideration.

Changes I want so far:

1. Different seat - like a Gobi...the stock seat doesn't work with my arss
    2. Some lighter tires than the Maxxis - Thinking Schwalbes (Rocket Ron front/Racing Ralph back)?
    3. Chris King headset

Any other recommendations that I can swap out without any major costs incurred based on experience?
    I just bought a SB95 and really like the bike. It is Black on Black and really like the way it looks. Never saw the Turquoise on the 95.

The race kit is a solid build and do not really need to swap out anything making it ride better. Saddle is a personal preference and on a bike at this price point chances are your going to swap it out to something the rider prefers anyway. Tires did not seat up tubeless all that well so now the 95 has scwalbes on there Hans Damph up front an Nobby Nic in rear. The Cane Creek head set is solid and IMHO is better than the King.

One consideration down the road for might be swapping out the wheels.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    add dropper post and rims...be done

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    There's nothing wrong with the Cane Creek headset that ships on the bike to be sure (I'd have found it as a weak point by now if it was, heh heh heh) but if you just want to blingify then go right ahead.

Whether the rims on the stock wheels work for you depends mostly upon you, where, and how you ride. I'd suggest having them checked for tension by a really good local wheel builder before heading out on them - if necessary this may add lifetime to them. The pattern seems like people in the 170# + category have more trouble with the stock rims than lighter folk. Nobody seems to be complaining after just replacing the rims with Stan's Arch or Flow or the equivalent. DT has also stepped up for a few people and done low-ish cost rim replacements for them with parts more appropriate for the bike.

I'd put the 36t ratchet upgrade in the rear hub, it's moderate cost (40$) and takes all of like 60 seconds and to me makes a very nice upgrade.

I'd go tubeless with the bike, ghetto with gorilla tape on the stock rims, with tubeless rims, whatever. I ran the stock rims tubeless converted until they cooked out then replaced with Flow and have been happy with that setup.

mtbr member

SB-95: Turquoise or Black and any upgrades

I've got one for the weekend (race build) to demo and the component selection at that price point is solid.

If I were to get it, I'd be thinking of lighter wheels and tires, and would like to see a 2X or XX1 setup. Definitely surprised with the lack of clutch RD and the bike needs a dropper post. At $5k I would expect these as std equip.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    current models may have the clutch derailleurs.

they ship the xtr kit as 2x, I wish they'd shipped race at 2x, but then they still would not have had the gearing I wanted (24/36) since Shimano doesn't "do" that combo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks everyone. The Chris king upgrade is free. I'm also getting the plus RD included and a nobby nic and racing Ralph, and an upgraded ratchet on the hub . I ordered the turquoise but still on the fence . I am going to upgrade to carbon so if I get burnt on the color it won't be for long.

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat with the same choice and I think I'm going to opt for the black. More of a classic look. I'd love to wait for the carbon but I'm just ready for a new bike and the 95 has been on my radar since I got a ride on a pre-production model.

I'd be really curious to hear your impressions of the alloy vs the carbon once you make the switch. Don't know that I can justify the upgrade but definitly want to hear from someone who has made the switch
    Not on the rug...man!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Had to go with the turq - it looks bada-s! - https://twitter.com/DubFreshBikes/st...32130839953408

Quote Originally Posted by 2dopler View Post
    I'm in the same boat with the same choice and I think I'm going to opt for the black. More of a classic look. I'd love to wait for the carbon but I'm just ready for a new bike and the 95 has been on my radar since I got a ride on a pre-production model.

I'd be really curious to hear your impressions of the alloy vs the carbon once you make the switch. Don't know that I can justify the upgrade but definitly want to hear from someone who has made the switch

mtbr member
    You can always sell the truq to me if you get bored with it

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'll hit you up when the carbon comes out

Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar View Post
    You can always sell the truq to me if you get bored with it

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Had to go with the turq - it looks bada-s! - https://twitter.com/DubFreshBikes/st...32130839953408
    Any ideas what that Yeti branded bike in the back of this shot is? Looks like a CF road frame- definitely not a Road Project or ARC X....
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Coming along

Got my mechanics making sure the tire spins ok...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SB-95: Turquoise or Black and any upgrades-photo-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'll hit you up when the carbon comes out
    Might not be an economic option as I'm in Europe. What size did you get? It looks like an L.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Large

Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar View Post
    Might not be an economic option as I'm in Europe. What size did you get? It looks like an L.

mtbr member
    How's the build going?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    SB-95: Turquoise or Black and any upgrades-mine.jpg

All done - racing a 34 miler in N Ga (in the snow) Saturday - we'll see how it does and more so how I do but it rides like beast!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Sexy... What's the weight?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just under 30 with XT trail pedals, Schwalbe tubless, and a King headset. Outside that its a stock Race kit...I might look at a carbon upgrade depending on how much I can get for this frame - or look at the SB-75/76 if they ever make one but I'm sold on the Switchback...

Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    Sexy... What's the weight?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mine.jpg 
Views:	824 
Size:	264.2 KB 
ID:	776035

All done - racing a 34 miler in N Ga (in the snow) Saturday - we'll see how it does and more so how I do but it rides like beast!
    Looks like you were at Quehl's Holler?? How was the Snake in Dalton today? I had a buddy riding his Air9 SS Rigid in it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Snake was awesome - just over 5 hr time. First race since 96. I'll be back for my buckle next year. Bike was insane...no mechanicals.
    SB-95: Turquoise or Black and any upgrades-yeti_sc.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Looks like you were at Quehl's Holler?? How was the Snake in Dalton today? I had a buddy riding his Air9 SS Rigid in it.

mtbr member
    I personally just think the black SB95 is one of the sexiest looking bikes on the market right now but I also just think I can not pull off turquoise . Either way they will both be head turners.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast