mtbr member
    Feb 2012

SB 95 just got better...

I finally got around to swapping out the stock wheels on my Race build SB-95. I['m always gushing about this bike, but always thought that the wheels could be stiffer and the rims could be wider. However, I didn't want to add any weight in the process.

So, I ordered a set of King hubs (pewter, to match the grey accents on the black frame), Sapim spokes and Carver carbon 29 rims.

Wheels are STIFF, and the increases internal footprint of the rim makes for MUCH better traction and tire compliance. Easy tubeless setup with the Carver rim strips. In the process, it looks like I took about 75-100 grams off each wheel! It rides like an entirely different bike, for a lot less money than selling the frame/upgrading to the carbon version...
    Keith in Corvallis

Yeti SB-95 Race
    Yeti Big Top Race
    Niner SIR 9 SS
    Foundry Auger
    Vulture SS
    GT GTR Carbon Expert

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    i keep thinking that's the next, best, upgrade to do.

next winter, when it's not riding season.

Long live the ASR-7
    Wheels are always the best upgrade to any bike.

mtbr member
    Pics?
    Santa Cruz Bronson - Specialized Crave Rigid

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Sure thing! Pic with the finger is to show inner rim width.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SB 95 just got better...-image.jpg  

SB 95 just got better...-image.jpg  

Keith in Corvallis

Yeti SB-95 Race
    Yeti Big Top Race
    Niner SIR 9 SS
    Foundry Auger
    Vulture SS
    GT GTR Carbon Expert

Climbs = necessary evil
    Good call. I added the Roval Carbon wheels and Maxle to my RIP9 and it stiffened the rear end and lightened the bike. Well worth the cost IMHO.

Trail Ninja
    Anyone looking to take the "blingier" route, there's Easton Haven Carbons for $600 front and $700 (I think) rear on Department of Goods. Only one 15mm front left, so stock is extremely limited. Under 1600g for a carbon UST wheelset.

There's a lot of weight to be lost upgrading the XT M785 brakes too, I've found. Those things are porkers at about 450g (315g caliper, hose, lever, caliper mounting bolts) with rotor and hardware (140g 160 rotor and rotor bolts), compared to 275g for a Formula R1 with rotor and hardware, per side.

Just saying, in case you want to bring down the weight to 28 lbs or less. Lighter is typically more fun, especially after you've become accustomed to heavier.

mtbr member
    Wow. I was thinking of going with I9's, but this setup threw a wrench in my thought process...

Do happen to know the weight of your new setup? Trying to find the weight for the DT SWISS 350/XR400 wheelset (minus 75-100), but am coming up short.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    I weighed the stock DT350/XR400 wheelset before I put on my Havens and they were 910/1000g F/R. DT lists the XR400 at 450g and Carver lists theirs at 400-440g. Not a lot lighter, but going from an 18mm to 23mm inner width is far more important.

From what I've read, the new I9 Torch wheelset is super light, but the price was out of my budget. If I ever manage to dent one of the WTB i19s on my rigid, I'll be replacing it with these Carvers.

Keith: did you weigh them before installing?
    Santa Cruz Bronson - Specialized Crave Rigid

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I should have scaled them, but didn't. According to the actual manufacturer, the rims should weigh in at 395 +/- 7 grams. So, they are slightly lighter, but WAY more stiff. They also set up tubeless easily with the $10 rim strip (light plastic) which is lighter than the DT swiss kit, and with Sapim spokes and King hubs you take off even more weight.

I don't know if this helps, but I held my new rear wheel and the old front in my hand at the same time, and the the new rear is noticeably lighter. The new I9s look nice, but the 32 hole aren't much lighter than this, and I love the serviceability of King hubs. Plus, I feel like buying locally made hubs (Portland) almost offsets my sweatshop rim purchase. My wife is from Holland, so I get marital points for the dutch-made spokes.
    Keith in Corvallis

Yeti SB-95 Race
    Yeti Big Top Race
    Niner SIR 9 SS
    Foundry Auger
    Vulture SS
    GT GTR Carbon Expert

HAHA PWN
    Those look very nice. I'm currently rocking a pair of Mavic CrossMax ST and just order the pre-built LB wheels. I love the Mavics, but the ID are too narrow for my liking. Hopefully they can get them shipped out in the next few weeks or so...
    Last edited by Vhom; 05-16-2013 at 10:46 AM.