mtbr member

SB-95... frame size M or L ?

Hey,
    I'm 5' 11" which is dead center between the medium and large SB-95.
    My true inseam is 32"

I plan on using a 70-80mm stem, 700mm bars and a dropper post.
    My trails are technical and chunky (New England)

I rode a medium SB-95 just around a parking lot and it didn't feel cramped.

So if others could chime in on SB-95 sizing, that'd be great. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Off the cuff I would say you would fit the large better and be able to run your short stem and wide bars and love the thing, .........but If your arms and torso are short ( witch they probably are not ) you could get buy just fine with a med.

I could take one look at you riding the medium and tell real quickly , but just talking numbers it can be very deceiving, I know this is not what you wanted to hear......but I would hate to see you get to small of a frame and fight trying to get it to work.

Is there not another shop around that has the large you could ride ?

mtbr member
    I'm gonna schedule a real demo on a large on some trails.

The SB-95's top tube is long. The medium fit like my large Nomad.
    It was really nimble.

Thanks for the reply.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm a bit under 5'10" but have longish arms and torso, evidently. My inseam length is 30" when measured barefoot.

I'm riding a medium SB95c with the stock 90mm stem and it's fine. Due to some knee issues I do slide the saddle back as far as possible and until recently was even running a seat post with 16mm of offset. With the offset seat post and the saddle slid back I did find that the front end wandered on climbs a bit. Too early to tell if the non-offset Reverb is going to help.

Point being is that I could easily fit on a large and run a shorter stem if I wanted to keep the front tracking better on those steep climbs. As you already know, you could likely go either way. Large for more stability and possible better tracking on climbs. Medium for the shorter wheelbase and ease of lifting the front up at obstacles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by client_9 View Post
    I'm 5' 11" which is dead center between the medium and large SB-95.
    I just got an SB95c about a month ago, and I'm 6'0". I've always been solidly a large in any brand I've tried, and I was surprised at how large the large actually is. I'm comfortable on it, but just not used to being so low in the size L range. In any case, they seem to run a bit large, would be my take. Were I on the cusp like you, I'd definitely go out of my way to sit on the large, at least.

EDR
    Yeti's are long. My small is a size med in most any other bike based on TT. I'm between sizes M and S on Yeti's. I had a med 575 then bought a small 575. I could ride both and neither is a sb95 so...

My experience with both sizes (you can extrapolate as you wish),
    Small: As expected easier to maneuver. Feels quite nimble and I feel like I really own the bike when standing to navigate UP slow, techie chunk/ledgy sections. Going down the same stuff is fine. I am able to get back on the bike easier and don't need to exaggerate the motion as much. On the down side I run a 90mm stem. I tried a 70 and felt cramped. Maybe I need to try it again for more than 2 rides, idk. I also feel a bit cramped on any really fast, flowy long d/h section where you sit on the saddle a lot and just cruise. I always feel like I need to be back more in those situations. Another nice thing with the small for me is that I can run a 5'' dropper post. Couldn't do that on a med, not enough exposed seatpost.

Medium: It's been since '08 since I owned the medium but I remember liking the feel quite a bit. Never remember feeling cramped, but I ran a 90mm stem at that time as well. Bet I could have gone shorter/wider with no problem. Bike maneuvered fine but when I went to the small I did notice the difference right away. The plus side is the longer wheel base was better on long fast d/h, but I ride mostly technical stuff (or did then) so that was never a real benefit to me.

All this typing and all I've really said is you could go either way. Believe me, I've made many posts over the years about this subject and there never is "THE" answer you are looking for. Even if I were to buy another Yeti today I'd still debate between sizes, especially if you like to get airborne and ride lots of tech. Just seems the smaller bike is better there but who knows. Good luck.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    apparently i'm a freak here, because i'm 5' 9" with a 32" inseam and quite happy with my large sb95 ('12 model, xt kit).

I have the stock stem on it, one 5mm spacer under it to the headset, stock h-bars, uncut.

I have logged a few thousand trail miles on it, and it's good. Up, over, down, dropping, whatever.

With the saddle dropped 5" it feels a lot like my DH bike.

Which isn't safe, i'm not usually wearning full-face helmet and guards when riding the yeti.

EDR

Re: SB-95... frame size M or L ?

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    apparently i'm a freak here, because i'm 5' 9" with a 32" inseam and quite happy with my large sb95 ('12 model, xt kit)..
    Tor-y-foel (sp?) used to ride a medium 575 if I remember correctly, and he was like 6 foot 4. Bike fit for mountain bikes is more of a feel then a science I guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The SB95 runs small for me , this XL 95 is the smallest XL bike I have ridden , I feel really good on it , but a 50mm stem is just a little short ( I just don't like long stems on bikes )

But I really hate to see bigger guys on to small of a bike and never really get the thing to work well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I am 5.10 and with a 32" inseam. I feelt cramped on the medium and the large fit me perfect with a 70mm stem.

mtbr member
    Probably go for a large, given your inseam is 32

mtbr member
    I'd say go with a large as well. I see that you're located in Boston. Go to JRA in Medford and talk to Brian. I am 6'1" with a 32 inseam and I would not want anything smaller.

You can also head up to Souhegan in Milford, NH for a test ride. Bob has a demo fleet that you can take out on a nearby trail.
    That creep can roll, man.