Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by holiday View Post
    I just bought one this weekend!

I had spent lots of miles on my brothers XL AL, but, I got a L sb95c. I decided to pull the trigger as soon as I saw the new suspension. I love the way the current one works, and it's super clean looking. new one, not so clean, pretty busy. and,
    I've owned a 27.5 bike, for me, the big wheels are just plain smoother and faster.
    sell 'em, I think you guys should decide to keep em, because next is not always better...
    I have owned and ridden lots of 29 and 650b, and the sb95 c is just plain sweet!
    holiday
    Congratulations. I agree that you got a sweet bike. I also agree that newer isn't always better. And, I also agree about the bigger wheels!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thx, I'm lovin' it!

I'm a bit systematic about times and sensations, and having ridden a great section of the rim trail on all my recent bikes, as well as the specialized bikes last weekend, where I did a loop on the E29, stumpy evo29 and camber evo 29, as well as other 650b bikes and my full carbon jekyll w/ carbon wheels, my second ride on the sb95 created a new record.

i see why the would build a 4 in 29er, which it sounds like they are, but as a trail bike, I sure like the 5 in sb. As a fast trail rider on rough trails here in tahoe, i wasn't thinking, "boy, I wish I had 4 in of suspension", and i surely don't want steeper angles. all the gaps and air on our local xc trails I love on this bike, but go 1 step more XC and some of them can feel sketchy. not because of suspension, but because of head angle mostly.

anyway, I also think they are moving out of this bike due to the patent issues, and I'm not an insider, but my gut is they are trying to get the new bikes to work as well as this one w/o the patent issue. I go through lots of bikes, but my plan is to keep this one awhile, as I loved it 2 years ago (in hte AL form), and have been all over the board, but came back!

Cheers,
    Holiday

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm quite excited to see what Yeti release over the next 6 months. The SI platform looks great in my opinion and has had an amazing introduction at EWS Winter Park.

Obviously there's a new 29er coming based on the John P instaleak. Whether that's an SB9C (the revised SB95C with SI), a lesser travel version with SI or a 29er version of the ASR5C.

As a current owner of an ASR5C I've been considering a SB95C for a couple of months. I demo'd a Stumpy Carbon Evo but wasn't impressed. It was nice but I wasn't sold. Getting a ride of an SB95C has proven too difficult in the UK unfortunately.

Anyway, I'm hoping for an SB9C. Or if they release something else, a reduction in prices of the SB95C

Not Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Congratulations. I agree that you got a sweet bike. I also agree that newer isn't always better. And, I also agree about the bigger wheels!
    I also agree! I recently built a Tracer 275 up, I did it slowly over the best part of 7 months as it was a bit of an experiment to see whether the 27.5" wheels would be the ideal size for me, having ran 29" for a few years now and obviously 26" before that. Anyway, the Tracer was a great bike and I think it is a good progression from 26, but by last Friday it was sold, whilst it was worth money and whilst I could still recoup my costs. There was no way I would choose to ride it over my Yeti, so it had to go.

I did my first Enduro on the Yeti yesterday on some real nasty, natural terrain, there was nowhere I wished for more travel, the bike performed like the true boss that it is.

Maybe it took being able to compare it to one of the best 27.5's out there to truly appreciate what an amazing bike the SB95c really is? Regardless, I just hope Yeti don't lose sight of this and that they keep pushing the envelope of the 29" 5" trail bike...
    2015 Trek Remedy 9.9 27.5" on the way!
    2015 Trek Farley 8
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2014 Cove Hummer 650bj29

Code:

Instagram

mtbr member
    As Yeti themselves stated, 5" and above will be relegated to 27.5. So, the SB95 is history. 4" 29er SI is on the way. I ride in the front range, CO and honestly, I don't need all 5 inches of travel on my SB95. I'm no bomber on the downhills that's for sure. I can see the advantage of a 4" 29er if they can drop the weight of the bike.(i.e. Turner Czar). A 4" 29er that weighs the same as the SB95 wouldn't make a lot of sense to me.
    The Mtn Bike App --> http://mtbphotoz.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ridetheridge View Post
    As Yeti themselves stated, 5" and above will be relegated to 27.5. So, the SB95 is history. 4" 29er SI is on the way. I ride in the front range, CO and honestly, I don't need all 5 inches of travel on my SB95. I'm no bomber on the downhills that's for sure. I can see the advantage of a 4" 29er if they can drop the weight of the bike.(i.e. Turner Czar). A 4" 29er that weighs the same as the SB95 wouldn't make a lot of sense to me.
    I'm sure it will be just like when the SB-95 was first released. I'm betting the SB4c will be spec'd with a 120mm fork and there will be a large group that decides that they want to run it more agressively with 140/150mm travel.

I just want the SB4c to be released today!!! I want to get my grubby hands on a SB-95c frame at 40% off!!!

Not Bad
    As long as the bike has trail bike characteristics I'm guessing it will be fine although I fear I'd miss that extra travel for the type of riding I do. To be honest the wheel size wasn't the main reason I sold the Intense, more to do with it didn't feel like my Yeti given the differences in the suspension. So maybe a 5c is in my future but again I'd miss that hard charging ability that comes with 29".
    2015 Trek Remedy 9.9 27.5" on the way!
    2015 Trek Farley 8
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2014 Cove Hummer 650bj29

Code:

Instagram

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    As long as the bike has trail bike characteristics I'm guessing it will be fine although I fear I'd miss that extra travel for the type of riding I do. To be honest the wheel size wasn't the main reason I sold the Intense, more to do with it didn't feel like my Yeti given the differences in the suspension. So maybe a 5c is in my future but again I'd miss that hard charging ability that comes with 29".
    If Yeti thinks that 5" and above is not appropriate for 29ers they are making a mistake. The industry in general is fumbling all over themselves trying to make artificial rules about wheel sizes and what is supposed to be good for what.

If they don't replace the SB95, do not fear, just buy a Tallboy LT .

As far as I know, Specialized, Trek, Niner, Lenz, Turner, Pivot, Ibis, Santa Cruz, Intense, etc, will all be making 5" travel or more 29ers.

mtbr member
    If Yeti thinks that 5" and above is not appropriate for 29ers they are making a mistake. The industry in general is fumbling all over themselves trying to make artificial rules about wheel sizes and what is supposed to be good for what.

As far as I know, Specialized, Trek, Niner, Lenz, Turner, Pivot, Ibis, Santa Cruz, Intense, etc, will all be making 5" travel or more 29ers.
    Steve's 100% right.

WFO, E29c, TBLTc, T29 are bikes I'll be looking at if Yeti makes a mistake with a 4" 95 replacement.
    I use all my travel and wish I had more most days.

I hope they'll make the Asr and the SI 29ers with different geo/travel to accommodate everyone.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member

I agree. For me 5" is kind of the low threshold for even bothering with suspension vs "might as well be a hardtail", I'll not buy another bike with less travel, regardless of wheel size.

There are a number of 140 or so 29ers each I wish was a little different, I had hoped Yeti would address the shortcomings of, say the tallboy LT (head angle is way too steep), or the Carbine 29 (too small) or whatever Specialized (100% of the profits go to supporting everything that is wrong with IP law).

LCW
    mtbr member

SB-95 Discontinued...What's Next?

Once 27.5 picks up steam, 29ers will lose market share and die off like 26 is now.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Once 27.5 picks up steam, 29ers will lose market share and die off like 26 is now.
    Not a chance. (And I'm 5'10", and love 26"wheels too.) My 27.5 mojo HD was the worst, for me, of the three sizes.
    The new school 29ers flat out rip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I agree w/ all the comments about viability of 5in 29ers above, and the competition, which is good, but the sb95c is the best.

I totally disagree with this point quoted. I have owned a 650b, like many here, because it has soooo much steam...., but 29ers are just plain smoother, faster and have more grip.

I think 27.5 will take over the 26, becuase htey are so close and have momentum, but then 29er trail bikes will continue to improve, like the E29 and sb95c, and others coming out with balanced geo, and people that ride alot on different bikes will keep coming back, because grip, smoothness and speed are really fun!

cheers
    Holiday

mtbr member
    I love my 95. I'm going to ride it until it explodes. I just hope that there will be another 29er that is as much fun to replace it when the time comes. The 27.5 wheel size didn't do it for me.

I keep hoping that JP chimes in on this...
    That creep can roll, man.

mtbr member
    I run car tires into the ground before replacing them, not so with bikes. So, even though my 95 is still happily ripping along, I (we) have a vested interest in it's eventual replacement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    I run car tires into the ground before replacing them, not so with bikes. So, even though my 95 is still happily ripping along, I (we) have a vested interest in it's eventual replacement.
    Agreed.

I really hope that Yeti keeps making a 29er rather than go the way of Giant and jump in fully to 27.5.

They say that the SB5c rides like the 66, so will a SB4c 29er ride like 95?
    That creep can roll, man.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ecwashere7 View Post
    I keep hoping that JP chimes in on this...
    This might entice him

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    As bpnic said, not a chance. There may be fewer of them around, but for HT/short travel at least, 29ers aren't going anywhere.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The problem with 27.5" is that it is just 3.7% larger than 26".

The problem with 26 and 27.5" is the tires don't roll over worth a crap compared to 29er.

Ride a Specialized Enduro, Niner WFO9, BMC Trailfox or Santa Cruz Tallboy and you will be enlightened. Big wheels absolutely crush it compared to 26 or 27.5".

I had a SB95. It was great but it lacked travel to go bigger compared to the bigger travel 140mm+ bikes and my Tallboy with a 120mm is just as good. 4" is great, but everyone is doing that already, there are so many good bikes for a LOT less money and full carbon fiber front/rear ends as well.

Not everyone likes/wants 27.5", but the above quote is juvenile, at best. If Yeti ignores the market in their own back yard (Denver) then that's their deal though riders are going elsewhere to buy bikes. There are a LOT of Specialized Enduro's and other big 29" trail bikes on the trails on the front range. Big wheels and big suspension on wide open fast terrain is the next technology advancement IMHO, 3.7% bigger 27.5" wheels is weak sauce and will be short lived with no technology. Yeti has a promising new suspension design though, which is nice to see. Kudos to that.

Bring a 150mm 29er.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    The problem with 27.5" is that it is just 3.7% larger than 26".
    27.5" is 5.77% larger than 26". 29" is 5.45% larger than 27.5".

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kknd View Post
    27.5" is 5.77% larger than 26". 29" is 5.45% larger than 27.5".
    FALSE.

(As quoted from craigsj in another thread)

The three rim sizes are:
    559mm (26)
    584mm (27.5)
    622mm (29)

Unless you ride without tires, you need to pick a reasonable tire size and apply it to each. So with a 58mm tall tire, the three wheel sizes are 675, 700, and 738.

Using these numbers:

26 to a 27.5 = +3.7%
    27.5 to 29 = +5.4%
    26 to 29 = +9.3%

It's best not to use marketing dishonesty as the basis of calculations.

Just 3.7% bigger.

That is why 650b/27.5" fits in so many 26" wheel frames.

AOK
    mtbr member

SB-95 Discontinued...What's Next?

The industry in general is fumbling all over themselves trying to make artificial rules about wheel sizes and what is supposed to be good for
    Amen to that!

And don't forget the Banshee Prime in the list of 5" 29ers that flat out rip.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post

The three rim sizes are:
    559mm (26)
    584mm (27.5)
    622mm (29)

Unless you ride without tires, you need to pick a reasonable tire size and apply it to each. So with a 58mm tall tire, the three wheel sizes are 675, 700, and 738.

Using these numbers:

26 to a 27.5 = +3.7%
    27.5 to 29 = +5.4%
    26 to 29 = +9.3%
    Thanks for clarifying.

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    If you compare the side views of the SB5C and SB95C, the switch infinity suspension extends further behind the center of the bottom bracket then the switch suspension. Might be difficult to fit a 29 inch wheel with 5 inches of travel and reasonable length chain stays with the switch infinity design. Giant had the same issue with Maestro suspension and basically gave up on 29er wheel size. Santa Cruz sort of has the same issue with VPP. The new Nomad had to go to a different lower link design to fit a 27.5 wheel. There has been speculation in the SC forum that the next Tallboy LT may use the Nomad linkage. I think switch infinity is a great design, but may not work well with longer travel 29ers. If Yeti does release a 4 inch switch infinity 29er, I am sure it will still rip. Hopefully they prove may wrong and release a 5 inch version as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Im about a year into my SB-95a ownership, and I gotta say this bike has been awesome. Like fat skis in powder, Ive gone from a very experienced (but timid) intermediate to a full-on charger. I keep up with my ex-racer buddies on climbs and downhills, and have more fun every ride. I know a lot of that is the 26 to 29 shift but Ive also given the Yeti design a lot of props. I thought the bike might be a little over-built/heavy before I rode it hell no, the thing climbs better than my 28# 26er by a longshot, and absolutely crushes the downhills.

Id be super bummed if they moved away from the 5 trail bike for the 29er platform. Id sure give a 4 Yeti SI 29er a try if a demo opportunity presented itself, but Id sadly go back to the Evil S if that felt too XC. For someone who fits and enjoys the 29 wheel, its frustrating to already see bike manufacturers making arbitrary decisions regarding the style/travel/etc for each wheel size.

Dang, just when I had enough time on the bike to give it a proper review, they discontinue it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast