Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

SB 95 coming next month

My local LBS, a volume dealer, confirmed with Yeti today that SB 95's are on track to deliver initial orders next month!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hi yeti575inCA,

Any news from your local LBS on the carbon SB-66c? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Newb here waiting for my '95 frame to arrive... Australian Yeti site has the first pic I've seen of the black but little else on the info front. I can't link as yet, so here it is, modified. You know what to do.

www dot pureyeti dot com dot au/sb-95

Chilling out
    Thanks for the link OCD, man that bike in black is sexy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    argghh... Makes me wish I had ordered black.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thank you for the link. It does beg a question though. What are the final geometry numbers. That website states a 69.5 degree head angle with a 120mm fork yet I have seen other websites state a 68.5 degree head angle with the same fork as well. So which is it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yeah, I'm still a bit confused on the final numbers, especially since there are two different geo-charts floating around - albiet the second one was posted by John P., Yeti rep.

Old chart:

Newer chart:

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the post. I am hoping for the second geometry chart. Will have to consider an angleset or other bike (like the stumpjumper) if it is the 69.5 which is too close to my big top.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

mtbr member
    Got a Link on Facebook from a LBS here in Co That they have the SB-95 Now, It also helps that they are in Golden as well just down the block from YETI ! Might go for a drive early next week since i live 10 miles north of Golden !!
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by YETI_Chris View Post
    Got a Link on Facebook from a LBS here in Co That they have the SB-95 Now, It also helps that they are in Golden as well just down the block from YETI ! Might go for a drive early next week since i live 10 miles north of Golden !!
    <<envy>>

My wife informed me a little while ago that I'm getting a SB95 this year, but she refuses to be more clear on timing. She wanted to 100% surprise me with it, but sizing is an issue without asking me about it. ;^)

I'm SOOO HORRIBLY biting my virtual fingernails.

( yeah, she's a keeper )

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    <<envy>>

My wife informed me a little while ago that I'm getting a SB95 this year, but she refuses to be more clear on timing. She wanted to 100% surprise me with it, but sizing is an issue without asking me about it. ;^)

( yeah, she's a keeper )
    bear - just curious what height/inseam/arm-length you are and what size you went with?

also, that is awesome.

mtbr member
    We had an SB95 in Moab and Fruita over the weekend, and it's an incredible bike...great ride for everything you throw at it.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by tedlove View Post
    bear - just curious what height/inseam/arm-length you are and what size you went with?
    we're going with a large, which scare(d/s) me a little bit because traditionally I would have thought that a bit big for me (5' 9", 32" inseam) however my basis for comparisons are:

- my Niner MCR-9 (2010 frame, medium for 607mm TT & 419mm ST - with a very long post, 90mm stem, 100mm fork, low-rise bars)

- my 26" Titus SuperMoto (2005 frame, large for 615mm TT, 508mm ST, 100mm stem, 180mm fork, low-rise bars)

... which compares to the SB95 geo that I've seen for Large w/Fox34 for 614mm TT & 495mm ST, and I'm assuming they're putting a 90mm or shorter stem on it from what I've seen in pixels.

I run both the above bikes of mine for very long rides, and shorter technical rides, and I'm pretty confident that the Large SB95 will be the best fit for my intended (ab)use.

Ride Driven
    Jun 2011
    The 95 that Golden Bike Shop has is only on loan. I'll be getting it back today so I can hit the road with it.

check our site to see if I'm heading your way.
    Yeti Cycles // Ride Driven

Ride Driven
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    Thanks for the post. I am hoping for the second geometry chart. Will have to consider an angleset or other bike (like the stumpjumper) if it is the 69.5 which is too close to my big top.
    I have been told that the first chart was given out to select media guys before numbers were finalized. the second is what the demo bikes and final production frames are.

68.5 with a Fox 34 at 120
    67.6 with a Fox 34 at 140

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the geometry reply. I will probably have to go for a custom build as the DT Swiss 400 series rims have no place on a bike like the 95 and they are what I am seeing on all of the test bikes. First of all, they are too narrow and second, they probably aren't going to take the beating heavier riders will put them through on an aggresive trail bike. Should go with flows or the new WTB trail/AM 29er rim.

mtbr member
    <<envy>>

( yeah, she's a keeper )
    Wow, does she have any sisters available?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Anyone have a (component) build underway? I'll be good to go once the frame lands next month. XO, Haven and 34/140 Talas for me

Damn! That '66C is sexy, want.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am going to wait for the Carbon next year. My thought was similiar to yours. Probably would go XO with an XTR rear derailer, haven wheels and the Fox 34 Float. I have hated every Talas I have owned. Floats perform so much better.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew8404 View Post
    Wow, does she have any sisters available?
    Actually, of her three sisters two are not married, don't know if they're attached.

They each have a "child" though, one is 16-ish the other is 8 I think. :^)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

@trailgrinder
    How much are these costing, love the last pic.

Chilling out
    Now THAT is taking the time to do it up right.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    check it out...
    Yeti Cycles

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    we're going with a large, which scare(d/s) me a little bit because traditionally I would have thought that a bit big for me (5' 9", 32" inseam)

I run both the above bikes of mine for very long rides, and shorter technical rides, and I'm pretty confident that the Large SB95 will be the best fit for my intended (ab)use.
    You're 5'9" and going with a Large? Very interesting, considering this guy (SB95 = Goat on Steroids) is 6'4" and was comfortable on his Medium demo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    check it out...
    Yeti Cycles
    Darn website doesn't seem to be working for me. Maybe I need an updated flash or something. That said, can someone post the build kits and pricing if it is on there? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savechief View Post
    You're 5'9" and going with a Large? Very interesting, considering this guy (SB95 = Goat on Steroids) is 6'4" and was comfortable on his Medium demo.
    Yeah, you might want to reconsider. I rode a medium over the weekend, and I'm 5'9, and could not see riding a large. Medium was perfect.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yeah, I meant to post this as well... I'm 6-2 and rode the large and it fit me pretty well actually. Consider that the handlebars are particularly wide and thus make the shorter ETT feel longer

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Build kits (also referenced here, here and here)

ENDURO - $3900
    FORK - FOX F29 34-120 KASHIMA 15
    HEADSET - CANE CREEK
    CRANKSET - SRAM S100 (22-33-44)
    FRONT DER - SRAM X-7 DIRECT MOUNT
    REAR DER - SRAM X-9 10SPD
    SHIFTERS - SRAM X-7 10SPD
    CASSETTE - SRAM 10SPD
    CHAIN - SRAM 10SPD
    WHEELS - DT SWISS 350/XR400
    TIRES - SCHWALBE
    BRAKES/LEVERS - AVID ELIXIR 5
    HANDLEBAR - TRUVATIV T20
    STEM - TRUVATIV T20
    GRIPS - YETI LOCK-ON
    SADDLE - WTB
    SEATPOST - TRUVATIV T20

RACE - $4500
    HEADSET - CANE CREEK
    CRANKSET - SHIMANO XT (24-32-42)
    FRONT DER - SHIMANO XT
    REAR DER - SHIMANO XT 10SPD
    SHIFTERS - SHIMANO XT 10SPD
    CASSETTE - SHIMANO 10SPD
    CHAIN - SHIMANO 10SPD
    TIRES - SCHWALBE
    BRAKES/LEVERS - SHIMANO XT
    HANDLEBAR - EASTON HAVEN CARBON
    STEM - THOMSON X4
    GRIPS - YETI LOCK-ON
    SADDLE - WTB YETI BRANDED
    SEATPOST - THOMSON ELITE

PRO - $5900
    HEADSET - CHRIS KING
    CRANKSET - SHIMANO XTR (26-38)
    FRONT DER - SHIMANO XTR
    REAR DER - SHIMANO XTR 10SPD
    SHIFTERS - SHIMANO XTR 10SPD
    CASSETTE - SHIMANO XTR 10SPD
    CHAIN - SHIMANO XTR 10SPD
    TIRES - SCHWALBE
    BRAKES/LEVERS - SHIMANO XTR TRAIL
    HANDLEBAR - EASTON HAVEN CARBON
    STEM - THOMSON X4
    GRIPS - YETI LOCK-ON
    SADDLE - WTB YETI BRANDED
    SEATPOST - THOMSON ELITE

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the post. I will definitely go the custom build route when I order mine. Those rims are a disgrace to the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    A top tube less than 25? That is just a shame for an XL 29er. Really need an XXL size there Yeti. Save the small stuff for the 66.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I don't disagree that someone at 5'9" tall should be riding a medium frame but trying to use a 6'4" tall guy riding a medium demo as justification is a bit OTL. That guy absolutely dwarfs the bike and should definitely be on an XL.
    Tallboy3 CC : Nomad3 CC: Highball2 CC : Stigmata2 CC

"Its All Good"
    Seeing as though you are speaking about me, best I reply

There is no way that I would ride an XL in the SB95, I wanted to make the point that the sizing will need close attention. Someone 5'9" in my opinion would more than likely fit a Medium frame... I dont think I dwarf the medium.. I could go a large, but no way an XL...

Anyway, so long as I have made some people think about sizing. Check the measurements, the medium is similar to many other large frames....

Said Medium Frame:

Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    I don't disagree that someone at 5'9" tall should be riding a medium frame but trying to use a 6'4" tall guy riding a medium demo as justification is a bit OTL. That guy absolutely dwarfs the bike and should definitely be on an XL.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Chilling out
    You guys have NO idea how much angst I've processed about the sizing, being that to me here in NE PA I have ZERO availability of a test ride ... the closest one that I've heard of was down in Bethlehem - over an hour away - and I haven't been able to get out of town to do so because of Work and Life and Crap ... so I have to go by the published geo charts ...

My sizing choice is made based upon what I call the "cockpit size" which is the combined length of effective top tube plus stem length, with a secondary check that the seat tube length is not unusable.

If you look at what I posted about my current rides above, the cockpit size is hovering aroud 700mm. To get that with a M SB-95 I'd have to have a 115mm stem, which is a bunch longer than I want to see on the bike. With the L SB-95 this comes to around a 90mm stem, which seems much more appropriate. Shorter than that may be good as my current 29er has a 90mm stem on it and has passed the "90-mile MTB ride test" with flying colors.

I know that the SB will sit higher unloaded compared to my MCR-9, what with being a 5" FS and all (vs 4" HT), but I'm okay with that. My Titus sits on 180mm of wheel travel on both ends after all, and I have a 7mm lower crown boost (CK tall base plate) in addition on the fork to keep the crown from hitting the frame.

The stand-over between the M and L SB-95 only differs by 5mm, so that's not a factor.

My Titus has a 508mm seat tube (L SB is 495mm) and I'm running between 100 and 150mm exposed post - haven't measured it lately. I do know that I like my saddle about 685mm from the bottom bracket for general riding (as in techie with rocks and drops and stuff), closer to 700mm for smoother XC-type rides. So again I think the L SB fits me better than the M, and while I can't afford it in the short term leaves my options for a dropper post wide open.

It's internet-common-knowledge that most people get bikes too small for them, truly. It may be silly rumor but I DO know that over my last couple frame replacements (my current Titus frame replaced a previous Titus frame, and likewise I started with an '09 MCR-9 but it broke so I have the '10 now) I have up-sized one step in both cases and have been dramatically happier with the bike fit (with a shorter stems of course). The Titus went from M to L and from 120mm to 100mm stem, the MCR-9 went from S to M and from 100mm to 90mm stem.

So, I stick by my choice of large.

Feel free to point out my fallacies.

;^)

Yeti Dudes

My only "complaint" with the bike spec is the weeny narrow rims - I'm way to cheap and lazy to replace perfectly functional rims from the git go, I'm sure both hoops will end up Stan's Flow within 12 months. I "get" that there are economic factors involved though and I'm SUPER HAPPY that you have decent hubs on these things that I can work with (instead of crap I'd have to just sell off as soon as I got the bike - Bear has Bad History with Rear Hubs That Use Pawls).

Also, thanks for going with a standard triple for the Race spec, makes it easy-peasy for me to put on the BASH guard that I will need here (although an ISCG mounted "taco" would work just as well for my needs).

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Wise choice on the flows. Yeti would be much better served by making them the stock choice on all of their sb95 builds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    How exactly is using a 6'4" person's real world riding experience and impressions (not Internet e-speculation) on a Medium SB-95 "over the line" when wondering whether or not somebody that is 5'9" tall will enjoy riding a Large?

As a second point of reference, in the latest Bike Magazine Bible of Bike Tests, they said something along the lines of their Medium SB-95 demo bike being a good fit for all but the tallest of test riders.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe View Post
    Seeing as though you are speaking about me, best I reply

There is no way that I would ride an XL in the SB95, I wanted to make the point that the sizing will need close attention. Someone 5'9" in my opinion would more than likely fit a Medium frame... I dont think I dwarf the medium.. I could go a large, but no way an XL...

Anyway, so long as I have made some people think about sizing. Check the measurements, the medium is similar to many other large frames....
    Whafe, is there any way you could have the shop measure that demo "Medium" SB-95 you tried? Specifically, the ETT. I suspect that it will measure out as the same top tube length as a Large according to the latest production geometry chart. Think about it. If they told you the ETT of that demo bike was 23.1" would you have bothered to ride it?

Despite Yeti claiming that they didn't change the numbers, I don't think they're being entirely truthful. I rode both a medium and small SB-95 at Outerbike back in October both with 90mm stems. I'm 5' 10" and the medium felt long. There is no way a 23.1" ETT with a 90 mm stem should feel long to me. And a 22.1" ETT would've been way to cramped. But I thought the "small" I rode in Moab that day was spot on for me.

Yeti took the old small, medium and large frames and re-labeled them as medium, large and XL. Then they added an even smaller frame which never existed on the original geometry chart.

It will be interesting to hear the stories from people that ordered a size based on the demo rides only to get the production version and find that it's too small for them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The Race spec'd bike really ticks all the boxes for what I am looking for in a full suspension 29r. Except for the wheels as everyone has pointed out. Looking forward to seeing everyone's built up bikes and hearing ride reports.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Has anyone gotten confirmation that geometry on the production bikes match the geometry on the demo models? Im sure most people assumed this was the case...

"Its All Good"
    I will try and get a measurement for you. I will have to make contact with the New Zaland Yeti agent. Will see how I go...

Again, am hoping I havn't stirred anyone up, that was the least of my intentions. Main point again was to say that this medium frame did not at all feel way to small for me... Yes I would probly purchase a Large, but the Medium was not to shabby at all....

Quote Originally Posted by 12snap View Post
    Whafe, is there any way you could have the shop measure that demo "Medium" SB-95 you tried? Specifically, the ETT. I suspect that it will measure out as the same top tube length as a Large according to the latest production geometry chart. Think about it. If they told you the ETT of that demo bike was 23.1" would you have bothered to ride it?

Despite Yeti claiming that they didn't change the numbers, I don't think they're being entirely truthful. I rode both a medium and small SB-95 at Outerbike back in October both with 90mm stems. I'm 5' 10" and the medium felt long. There is no way a 23.1" ETT with a 90 mm stem should feel long to me. And a 22.1" ETT would've been way to cramped. But I thought the "small" I rode in Moab that day was spot on for me.

Yeti took the old small, medium and large frames and re-labeled them as medium, large and XL. Then they added an even smaller frame which never existed on the original geometry chart.

It will be interesting to hear the stories from people that ordered a size based on the demo rides only to get the production version and find that it's too small for them.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    I really think you can move up or down a size on this bike with the proper stem/seatpost adjustment. I'm 5'10 with a 31" inseam and demo'd a large (only one available)

Felt like home. Hands down the best bike I've ever ridden. I normally ride a medium in everything (occasionally a small) but this bike in a large was amazing for me. Talking with my LBS sizing superfreaks they indicated that most people can slide a size up or down if you want to work with stem/seatpost/bars etc to dial it in to the contact points. That being said I like the idea of a super short stem on a large bike that I can upsize for my taller riding buddies.

Just my $.02 - your milage my vary
    Not on the rug...man!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dopler View Post
    I really think you can move up or down a size on this bike with the proper stem/seatpost adjustment. I'm 5'10 with a 31" inseam and demo'd a large (only one available)

Felt like home. Hands down the best bike I've ever ridden. I normally ride a medium in everything (occasionally a small) but this bike in a large was amazing for me. Talking with my LBS sizing superfreaks they indicated that most people can slide a size up or down if you want to work with stem/seatpost/bars etc to dial it in to the contact points. That being said I like the idea of a super short stem on a large bike that I can upsize for my taller riding buddies.

Just my $.02 - your milage my vary
    Interesting point. I've heard (through a buddy of mine who is a dealer) that the demo bikes share the geometry of the production models. I rode a size medium at Outerbike for a pretty long day (I did the Magnificent 7 on this thing, as well as a 10 mile lap on the Moab Brand trials). I'm 5'10 with a 34 inch inseam (no, not a typo) and really long arms (think 6'3" reach). The stock medium felt great. I had a lot of post out, but I actually felt like I was in a perfectly good position for climbing, in part due to the bar width. I was going back and forth on this and decided that a medium is going to work great, even though my Ibis Mojo is a large (80 mm stem) and my singlepseed is a 20 inch frame (70mm stem). So, that's what I ordered.
    Keith in Corvallis

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    One other thing to point out: the entire design goal of this bike was to really tuck that back wheel in and shorten the wheelbase to give it 26er handling. While top tube length is obviously important for fit, remember that 29ers can get really "rangey" in a hurry. My size large el mariachi singlespeed is really great for long days in the saddle, staying comfortable, and climbing efficiently, but I can't manual it for crap. A five inch travel 29er is a waste of travel if you can't manuever it properly. Think about wheel base length and the intended purpose of the bike before you pull the trigger!
    Keith in Corvallis

Chilling out
    Just FYI,

I spend a good period of time today talking to a Yeti dealer in Austin TX (on vaca there...) they had the L SB-66 in stock and the dealer (University Cycles) had demo S/M/L SB-95 for a protracted time period so got a decent experience base on it.

While they'd advise me to get a M SB-66, the differences with the geometry between that and the SB-95 make them say that the L SB-95 would be better for me.

So, nailed that down, which is great.

Now, we just need $ down and production up ... :^)

mtbr member
    The 95 is up on the Yeti site

Giddy up!!!!

Yeti Cycles / Home
    Not on the rug...man!

Chilling out
    can't say how stoked I am, my wife put $ down while I was in AZ & TX on vaca ... so now it's just waiting for delivery!

i wonder how long it'll take for a low-volume dealer in NE PA to receive my bike.

mtbr member
    Local shop has them in stock now here in Denver.. I so want to ride one !!!
    Last edited by YETI_Chris; 03-23-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

Chilling out
    Local shop here has them in stock now here in Denver.. I so want to ride one !!!
    tease.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Local shop here has them in stock now here in Denver.. I so want to ride one !!!
    YES! Which one?
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast