mtbr member
    Jul 2011

SB 95 c first ride

Background-40 something rider fairly dedicated to Yeti bikes. Most recent bike was SB-95 a that I built up last summer and enjoyed immensely. My two bikes prior were SB-66 and ASR-C. I like to experiment and try new things so it wasnít much of a stretch for me to sample a 29er. For my riding style the SB 95 was perfect. When the carbon version was announced I began to rationalize how to justify the purchase weighing economic cost/benefit and delaying retirement by a couple months

Since I recently built up the aluminum version I didnít need to upgrade any components but felt the need to compliment the carbon frame with the appropriate wheels. ENVE AM. Everything came together last week and I had my first ride yesterday.

Perfection. Weight loss of 3 pounds very noticeable. I climbed for 45 minutes and enjoyed every second. Climbing through tough technical sections was a breeze. The carbon version is nimble, sharper than AL. A big part is possibly the carbon wheels- acceleration is NOW. This bike is seriously fast and precise. Suspension is perfect and honestly I wanted to keep climbing. Downhill- I thought climbing was great but going down was even better. The light weight is evident as increased finesse in tight corners significantly improved. Air time- much more controllable. I didnít realize the weight reduction could have such an impact. The bike took everything I could throw at it and was asking for more. If my AL version was a Porsche 911 the Carbon version is the GT2 equivalent.

I appreciated a post by Bear last month- ďLove the bike your with ď and made me think long and hard about need to switch. Well, I can honestly say I have no regrets. The bike is that good. If youíre on the fence, don't hesitate. SB 95 c first ride-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371435116.747731.jpg

It is outstanding.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    uber lovely Birdy, wish I had 5k to drop on "upgrades" for my '95 ... but I just got a new color matched bike hauler so I can't really complain.

I'll just make do with new tires and bash-guard!

Bikes!
    Fantastic! I seriously cannot wait for mine to arrive now! I hope Yeti remembered to send it to the UK!...

mtbr member
    Beautiful.

Which model Ardents are they?
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    Which model Ardents are they?
    2.4 EXO, front and rear. You can see it in the pic if you zoom.

mtbr member
    Thanks Bear.

Set up tubeless is the question what I was after, sorry about that!.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

SB 95 c first ride

I'm running tubeless. Significantly more room in rear than al version but I plan on experimenting with a couple tire options to drop a few more grams. The Ardents weigh 25.3 oz compared to Specialized Ground control at 20 oz.SB 95 c first ride-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371478187.801466.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdymkr View Post
    Well, I can honestly say I have no regrets. The bike is that good. If youíre on the fence, don't hesitate. It is outstanding.
    Congrats! Looks like you're running 120mm on the front, yes? Also, is your dropper cable running stealth?

BTW, a light tire option that has been well received is the Spec S-Works Fast Track. All depends on your terrain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

SB 95 c first ride

Actually running Talas 120/140. Unfortunately not running Reverb Stealth but one must learn to compromise

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdymkr View Post
    Actually running Talas 120/140. Unfortunately not running Reverb Stealth but one must learn to compromise
    Damn, how could they miss that? Bet it shows up in the future.
    So do u have the 2014 Talas? I'm on the fence with that or the Pike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

SB 95 c first ride

I purchased the 2013 Talas about a year ago. I hear good things about the Pike but I'm quite happy with the Talas. I was quite impressed with descending capability and frame stiffness. Definitely demands 140 for descents and probably would be happiest at 150 mm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm putting a 150mm Pike on mine, when it becomes available that is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I'm putting a 150mm Pike on mine, when it becomes available that is.
    150 seems awfully long, especially given the rear travel limitation.
    You might check with Yeti re frame warranty, since they spec 140mm, may not be an issue, just would like to know.

Personally my trails are narrow and twisty, so I'm concerned about 140mm with that HT angle already being a bit slack.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    A-C between the fox 34 140 and the Pike 150 is 8.2mm from the specs I've seen. I can't see that being a noticeable difference or warranty issue. I just know I don't want less length than the Fox 34 140mm as I've ridden the bike with both the 140mm Revelation and Fox 34 140mm and personally preferred the longer A-C.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Gonna go with same build except XX1. Gotta have the Enves. Was shooting for GT3RS!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Weight?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

SB 95 c first ride

Right now it's at 28.2 lbs but when I swap the Ardents will be close to 27.5. I went with Chris King hubs which are slightly heavier than DT. I also have the Enve Rsr bar which is aprox 200g. Currently have XT cranks from previous SB 95 and I'm thinking of going carbon but have not fully decided.