Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What an awesome weekend! Spent 3 days in Hood River and road my SB-95 a ton. It was really my first time logging lots of miles and really feel like I'm getting it dialed in. Suspension worked quite well- almost unnoticeable. The new Talas was worked hard and I'll probably continue to tinker. SB 95 Build Thread?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341857117.509878.jpg
    SB 95 Build Thread?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341857134.536201.jpg

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    What's the largest tire you guys can run out back? I'm a dedicated 1x10 rider so front derailleur clearance is not an issue. I remember reading before they came out that the tire clearance was in the realm of 2.2" on the prototype frames. Is there room for an Ardent 2.4" in there assuming no front der?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I've been told by someone that they're running the 2.4 Ardent WITH a front derailleur, with room.

I can see that on my SB too, and may be trying it.

Without a front-d I'd not even think twice about it, I'd just put it on and be happy. Plenty of chainstay/seatstay clearance for sure.

I've been tearing through the 2.2" tires - been getting 220-250 miles per tire (Ikon 3c EXO first, Geax AKA TNT next) and I'm debating going phatter to help mitigate that. Only getting 200 miles or so of good use out of a tire is NOT good enough for my budget!

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I like the SB95 but I'm also curious about the Banshee Prime. The rumored Knolly 29er might be some of the sexiest aluminum tubes ever made I guess I'll suffer thru the rest of this season with my lowly Sultan There's going to be some serious AM 29ers to choose from next year!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have 2.4 Ardents on front and rear wheel with front derailleur on mine. Very tight, but doable. I love bigger tires.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Can we get a picture of the clearance? Not so much of the derailleur cage/tire clearance, more the chainstay seatstay clearances? Just curious how wide it is back there. We get a lot of mud in the Midwest and I'm a big tire whore...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah, I will get one up, but I will be honest, you have PLENTY of room with those parts. You could even go bigger and not have to worry about mud. The front derailleur is the one where you are only millimeters away from it. Does anyone know if I can physically move the front derailleur forward some?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Lateral clearance is seriously fine. Seatstay clearance is "rediculous".

Shadder, since the front-d has two bolts in fixed positions holding it in place, I doubt it - unless you fabricate some kind of mounting plate to move it.

FWIW, I put on Panaracer Rampage 2.35's last night. It's funny, but they're much less tall than the 2.2 Ikon or 2.2 Geax AKA TNT that I had on the back, slightly wider (at the tread). I'll measure / photo them tonight after they have had a set-in ride.
    Last edited by bear; 07-17-2012 at 04:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I've been told by someone that they're running the 2.4 Ardent WITH a front derailleur, with room.

I can see that on my SB too, and may be trying it.

Without a front-d I'd not even think twice about it, I'd just put it on and be happy. Plenty of chainstay/seatstay clearance for sure.

I've been tearing through the 2.2" tires - been getting 220-250 miles per tire (Ikon 3c EXO first, Geax AKA TNT next) and I'm debating going phatter to help mitigate that. Only getting 200 miles or so of good use out of a tire is NOT good enough for my budget!
    I ran into the same problem. I'm running nevegals front and rear now which are finally lasting. Slower but look like they're going to last.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Can we get a picture of the clearance? Not so much of the derailleur cage/tire clearance, more the chainstay seatstay clearances? Just curious how wide it is back there. We get a lot of mud in the Midwest and I'm a big tire whore...
    Attached (unless I goof) are a couple phone pix that I hope help you out.

The tire is a new (1 ride on it) Panaracer Rampage 2.35, at 35 psi, on a Flow rim.

it measures 60mm wide at the tread and is approximately 375mm from the axle to the outermost tread point.

One shot I hope shows clearance to front-d (stock XT), it's hard to wedge my cam-phone in there, I think an off-side shot may be better. There's 10mm or more clearance with the Rampage to the Front D but I think it's harder to see in the pic than I thought.

One shot I shows you the side clearance well enough. I think there's plenty enough space there, and no many tires that are notably wider than the Rampage - at least that I know of. Somebody have measurements of the Schwably 2.4's on Flow rims that I could compare to? I kind of doubt the Dissent 2.5 from WTB (if you can find it) or a Kodiak would fit with much room to spare, but I think they'd spin. If I was using those tires though i'd probably be doing riding that didn't need a front-d.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SB 95 Build Thread?-img_1292x1024.jpg  

SB 95 Build Thread?-img_1293x1024.jpg  

Last edited by bear; 07-18-2012 at 04:46 AM.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHillsRider View Post
    I ran into the same problem. I'm running nevegals front and rear now which are finally lasting. Slower but look like they're going to last.
    *phew* - at least it's not just me!

we'll see how my Rampage tires work out.

Oh, I got good endurance of the Slant6 2.2 on my hard-tail, I would give it a go on the SB. I actually was planning to until I looked close at my Ardent on the front and decided I felt the need for two new tires, and the shop had the pair of Rampage, and well you know how that goes.
    Last edited by bear; 07-18-2012 at 04:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Got my frame/fork yesterday - stoked! I'll finish it up today and post some pics.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Bear, thanks for the pics! Not a huge amount of clearance compared to my Sultan but definitely enough. My concerns are appeased Looks like I'll be having some SB95 pics of my own to post in a few weeks!

mtbr member
    Got mine up and running. Just one ride so far and still need to do some tweaking, but really digging it. I'm coming off a SC Tallboy and I also have a SB66. The 95 feels like a mix of those two bikes. Couple o' pics.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    Got mine up and running. Just one ride so far and still need to do some tweaking, but really digging it. I'm coming off a SC Tallboy and I also have a SB66. The 95 feels like a mix of those two bikes. Couple o' pics.
    You have TOO MUCH MONEY for bikes.

But I applaud you.

Nice clean 'stealth' bike.

Once you've had a few more rides it'd be interesting to hear your impressions TB vs SB.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have a very noob question and you guys seem to know your stuff. I recently got a stock SB95 built by a local bike shop. I went on a group ride and a guy I trusted told me I should inspect my bike for defective hardware and loose bolts. I noticed the headset cap bolt was pretty loose and he took his multi-tool and tightened it as hard as he could. I mean VERY tight. This made me paranoid so I left the ride early to do some research. I quickly discovered that this bolt should only be hand tightened and not torqued. The stem was never loosened from the steerer, the cap was just tightened too much. I have since loosened it up and there doesn't seem to be any issues. Could this have potentially caused any issues? Should I be looking for anything that may have been damaged? Thanks ahead of time....I'm kind of stressing about it.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    You're fine. Some weight weenies actually take the cap and bolt off after the stem is tightened down to save a few grams! You lucked out this time Next time someone goes King Kong on your ride, punch him in the jimmie!

Trail Ninja
    You're fine. Once the stem is tightened on the forks steerer, there's not much that stem cap bolt actually does. Non-weight weenies actually mount novelties or accessories using that bolt, like a "step captain" clock/thermometer/compass or a cyclometer, or whatever.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Where'd you buy the bike? Bikes don't come shipped fully built. The bike shop.you bought it from built it that way.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Just ride the bike, but every couple rides just take a look to make sure nothing is working loose or anything like that.

Biggest problem I can see is ham-handed assembly, with over-tightened components - had a few of those on mine, with one remaining (they screwed on the cassette lock ring so tight I can't unscrew it). That'll wait until the cassette wears though and I go in to force them to take it off for me - but not install the new one.

Trail Ninja

Small frame, since I'm a rather small ninja
    Fork set to 120mm, and keeping it that way

Upgrades:
    Bars: Enve DH Riser, cut to 29" (740mm)
    Grips: ODI Rogue, with Blue Lock-ons
    Pedals:Twenty6 Prerunner Pedals, with Ti Axles and steel pins
    Seatpost: Rock Shox Reverb
    Saddle: WTB Rocket V SLT
    Wheels: Edge XC 29 rims, Sapim CX Ray Spokes, Pillar Nipples, Chris King ISO disc 28H hubs, QTubes Superlight Tubes
    Front Tire: Maxxis Ikon 29x2.2 eXC 3c EXO

Accessories:
    Bionicon C Guide v.02
    RaceFace crank boots
    Crankskins
    King Stainless Bottle Cage
    K-Edge GoPro Handlebar mount
    Garmin Edge 200

Personal customization:
    Dragon decal on Switch Link
    Turquoise Yeti decals on swingarm
    White Yeti decals on fork
    Turquoise zip ties for dropper post hose

29.0 lbs, as shown.

Needs a few more adjustments still. Will be dirty for the next pics.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 09-06-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Quote Originally Posted by poowilliams View Post
    ...and he took his multi-tool and tightened it as hard as he could. I mean VERY tight...
    Since there aren't thrust bearings in a headset, I'd get that jagoff's name so that he can pay up when they fail. Headsets should never be that tight! It can damage the bearings. Loosen it and the stem bolts and tighten the headset bolt to a light handshake feeling. Check that there is no play in the fork steerer. Align stem to wheel. Tighten stem bolts to recommended torque, or a very firm handshake, and ride until giggling.

Skip to threadless adjustment:

Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Threadless Headset Service
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Varaxis, I have "rim envy" - ha ha ha! Sweet ride man, sweeet.

29lbs? Makes me feel better for my 32# "L" - especially since I'm running phat tyres.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    how do you like that chain guide? thinking of adding one to my 575

Trail Ninja
    It's pretty much set and forget. I don't even think about it.

Had chain drop issues when I demo'd the SB-95 for the first time, especially on big drops, but that was on a pre-prod model with such poor FD alignment that it didn't shift into the big ring. 2nd demo one, which had chain rub, didn't drop any chains.

It's quiet and I don't notice my drivetrain making a racket in the woods. What I do notice is my left pedal clicking every time it gets to the 1 o'clock position (viewed from non drive side). I need to fix that.

Punny, bear.

It was 29 lbs when I first got it, and 29 lbs after everything I added to it, with the front tire and wheels accounting for most the weight loss.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast