Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I demo an XL and ride an XL 575 and it was a good fit

Snapper
    thanks for the big bloke thoughts - I have pulled the trigger - so excited - now 1 x 10 or 2 x 10?

Not Bad
    I'm 227lbs and I've decided that I'm going 2x10 XTR Trail as it gives the perfect spread of gears. At least until I get SRAM XX1.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnd663 View Post
    thanks for the big bloke thoughts - i have pulled the trigger - so excited - now 1 x 10 or 2 x 10?
    1x12

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

The carbon upgrade -

This bike isn't the same going from a to c. It's unreal

SB 95 Build Thread?-419597_10200682107991565_174299424_n.jpgSB 95 Build Thread?-968896_10200682108031566_526385115_n.jpg

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Is the seat at the same height (to pedals) in both the above shots? Looks like less post exposed on the carbon frame, which would mean I need a different dropper to make the switch.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    y'all are dropping 2# by spending $$$ on your ride, I'm looking at doubling the weight of my shock by spending $.

I dunno who is crazier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    y'all are dropping 2# by spending $$$ on your ride, I'm looking at doubling the weight of my shock by spending $.

I dunno who is crazier.
    We're all a little bit crazy.
    At least for me, going to a CF frame is about feel, nothing else. And no, who can financially justify this stuff?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Same seat post - it was just further down when the pic was made. I only got the carbon frame - I put everything from my alloy on the carbon - same geometry.

So after I sell the alloy w/ a CK headset I'll net -$1200-1300. But it's not the weight (although climbing on the carbon is like nothing I could have imagined. I don't even feel like I'm working my legs, so yeah that 2 lbs is complete ride changer). I race 30-40 mile races in GA so that alone is worth the cash. But the stiffness is insane. I've never rode carbon, but I can say the wash-out feelings of the 29er are gone. It rails through corners, and flicks like I remember the 66 feeling.

But can I justify the cash out? Only to myself, no one else would get it

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Oh, I "get it" too ... just no way I can get it.

I'm "banking on" the carbon upgrade for when I break the alloy.

It's only a matter of time.

mtbr member
    Oh, I "get it" too ... just no way I can get it.

I'm "banking on" the carbon upgrade for when I break the alloy.

It's only a matter of time.
    BTW Bear...you have to change your moniker to "Destroyer of shocks".

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    BTW Bear...you have to change your moniker to "Destroyer of shocks".
    Oh gawd, I hope not.

Although, I have spent enough on tires to buy a CCDBAir at this point.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Lucky...
    Apr 2008

Although, I have spent enough on tires to buy a CCDBAir at this point.

Money spent on tires is a seriously depressing thought. Given my fondness for Schwalbes, I am thinking I have spent about 1k on tires since buying the bike.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bacon Jr View Post

Are both of you running 140 Floats? I'm thinking of remodeling, and trying to find a better fork. I'm afraid the 140 might be a bit lanky, but maybe not. The new Formula Thirty-Five or the Pike looks like good candidates, but the Pike is at 140, the Thirty-Five is adjustable.
    Nirvana for me would be an 1800gm 130mm coil.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    simplemind, I've been a coil+oil guy for a LOONG time.

but.

I really REALLY like how my 29 Float 34 works. It's great.

That said, my '13 model is currently at 140mm travel. It was 120mm as I received it, it had a 20mm travel limiting spacer in the bottom of the air chamber. Truly easy to pop out.

I am planning on putting in a 10mm spacer the next time I'm in the fork, to try it out at 130mm travel.

I've run it at both 120 and 140, and wasn't unhappy either way, so I think at 130 I'll end up with that happy medium of "maximun DH-ish-ness" vs "most agile".

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    I've run my '12 model 29 Float 34 at 120mm for it's entire life (about 2,700 miles) and have really liked it. Have been setting the bike up a bit plusher lately, and it still rails. Have thought about doing the 140 mm setting for a while, but left it as is when I rebuilt the fork at 2k miles.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010
    It was 120mm as I received it, it had a 20mm travel limiting spacer in the bottom of the air chamber. Truly easy to pop out.
    Can you describe the procedure or is there an online guide or something for doing this conversion? I spent a couple of hours playing in a rock garden on my sb95 on Sunday and a little more would have been fun to play with...

tia,

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    Can you describe the procedure or is there an online guide or something for doing this conversion?
    - drain air from air spring
    - drop lowers off (you should be able to find oil service info on the ridefox.com or related site)
    - rotate fork so legs are horizontal, or pointing slightly up (otherwise you'll need float fluid to replace in air spring)
    - using c-clip pliers to take clip off bottom of air spring
    - GENTLY pull the bits out the bottom of the air spring until the travel spacer is visible
    - snap the travel limiter off
    - reassemble

you'll want to get oil for the lowers, takes 30ml per side if I recall correctly, 10wt

again, there's service info on the fork on the fox site, also lists tools needed.

disclaimer: I've heard that the late model forks may have changed, so I can't say for SURE your fork has the spacer, but it is easy to find out. My fork is a '12 34 Float 29.

have fun, good luck!

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    CTD model forks have significantly different internals, I am told. Check for the Fox service videos on YouTube- very helpful.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Are both of you running 140 Floats? I'm thinking of remodeling, and trying to find a better fork. I'm afraid the 140 might be a bit lanky, but maybe not. The new Formula Thirty-Five or the Pike looks like good candidates, but the Pike is at 140, the Thirty-Five is adjustable.
    Nirvana for me would be an 1800gm 130mm coil.
    I have seen first hand a Pike 160 on a 29'r. Just an FYI.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    CTD model forks have significantly different internals, I am told. Check for the Fox service videos on YouTube- very helpful.
    Mine is CTD.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Mine is CTD.

Ahhhhh- yours was delivered during the switchover. I ended up with pre-CTD model.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Ahhhhh- yours was delivered during the switchover. I ended up with pre-CTD model.
    I got lucky on the fork, unlucky on the shock, life is a balance.

OTOH, I've always felt that my rear shock was "this" much "behind" the DH capability of the fork (in D mode), maybe I'll finally have Complete Bike Balance with the new damper that I'll be getting. My RP23 felt nicely balanced against my fork, with the fork in T-0, but with the fork D it was out paced, now and then obviously.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I have seen first hand a Pike 160 on a 29'r. Just an FYI.
    Did it look like this?

SB 95 Build Thread?-long-bike2.jpg

Of course, that's my concern. The SB handles so well at 120mm, I'm really leery of going too slack plus the added BB height, but it wb interesting to ride a 160mm.
    I'm in the Bear's camp regarding 130mm being an ideal compromise, until someone convinces me otherwise.
    I did notice the Ripley (yes, considering that one as well) is stocked with a 140mm, has pretty similar specs, and an even lower BB ht @ 13.25.

mtbr member
    Just picked up my Turquoise SB95 w/ Race Kit. Man it is a nice bike ! The color in pictures doesn't do it justice when you see it in person. Next to my 575, the wheels are huge ! Yes.. it is a 29er. I see why they call them "wagon wheels". I installed a 60mm stem and will have to order some black pedals. My gray pedals off my 575, just don't cut it. I'm sure the next rides will be tweaking the suspension etc. Hope to ride it tomorrow.

BTW...Everyone in this Yeti forum are very helpful and knowledgable. Reading through this thread along with replies to some of my own postings, help formulate my decision in getting this bike.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast