Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

SB-95 with 2.35 Nobby Nic rear...issues?

Anyone running a 2.35 Knobby Nic on an SB-95? Any clearance issues?

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Yep. Been running a 2.35 Knobby Nic in the rear with a 2.35 Hans Damf in the front for about 600 miles. No clearance issues. Great, great combo.

FWIW, I have a buddy running the HD both front and rear with no issues. HD is bigger than the KK.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bacon Jr View Post
    Yep. Been running a 2.35 Knobby Nic in the rear with a 2.35 Hans Damf in the front for about 600 miles. No clearance issues. Great, great combo.

FWIW, I have a buddy running the HD both front and rear with no issues. HD is bigger than the KK.
    Thanks Jr., I was going to go with the 2.2 but read something on the Schwalbe site with regard to tire size vs rolling resistance. Evidently in dirt, ie not pavement, the larger tire had a lower rolling resistance. I think spin-up could suffer from increased dynamic weight but in CP and BCGB type trails the ability to run even lower pressures, hence larger footprint, would be a decent trade-off in the climbs. Glad to know they'll fit!

BTW, how's the Big Top?

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    The larger tire thing works road and off road- good discussion here:

Tech FAQ: Seriously, wider tires have lower rolling resistance than their narrower brethren

I am running 28/26 front/rear, which works well on most CTX trails. (I am 220 ready to ride)
    Yeti SB-95a Black

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Oh, and the Big Top rocks- very similar handling to the SB-95, just a bit more flickable in the twisty stuff. Very easy to switch back and forth between bikes.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    My LBS spoke with Yeti recently and they said that they didn't recommend a tire larger than 2.3 in the rear of a SB-95. Clearance with the SRAM derailleur on the Enduro kit was my issue but they also said that a larger tire would also rub the seat post on large hits. They said that they were planning to update their site to reflect that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's never updated. I would save the 2.35 for the front put the 2.2 in the rear. I have Ardents currently (2.4 and 2.2) and love them. Also, I switched my front derailleur to shimano and that also gave me more clearance.
    That creep can roll, man.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    My direct experience with the 2.35 Nobby Nic is no rubbing of seat tube on big hits. It is a smaller 2.35, so that may be the reason.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have a xl sb 95 and just mounted a set off 2.35 nobby nics. I released the air out of shock to bottom suspension and tire makes contact with seat tube. What a F'ing bummer!
    Last edited by wfo922; 01-14-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Have never experienced this with same rear tire and frame size. I'm a big guy, and I use every bit of travel available on the rear just about every ride. Bottomed out the shock on Satruday- actually checked to see if there was any run. No contact. Wonder what the variable is....
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wfo922 View Post
    ...tire makes contact with seat post...
    You sure about that?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    You sure about that?
    I haven't had the NN (or any Schwalbe for that matter) on the bike yet, but I've had tire-rub on the seat tube from both the Panaracer Rampage 2.35 and Geax Sturdy 2.3 under hard bottom-out - think DH trail high-speed berms and some jump/drop landings kind-of hard.

Never had that harsh bottom out on riding outside those boundaries, that I have noticed.

Large SB95, Stan's Flow rim.

mtbr member
    I was really just questioning the tire making contact with the seat post (not seat tube).

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    What shock psi are you running in order to get correct sag? Does the o-ring on shock slide off shaft when you bottom hard? Maybe you are running more shock pressure which does not allow shock to completely cycle as much as my set up. It's just a thought.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    I was really just questioning the tire making contact with the seat post (not seat tube).
    For the rear tire to hit the seat post, I am pretty sure something in the frame would have to separate.

There's no way for the tire to move that high otherwise.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Nice catch. I meant the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just mounted up a 2.25 NN on the rear to replace the 2.35 which did not work on my bike. I now have sufficient tire clearance.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Quick update- I did get tire to seat tube rub today on a big hit hauling ass to the finish line at a TMBRA race. Was probably cooking at about 25 or so, flying down the final single track. Knocked the ring off the shock. With all the mid on the course today, it was hard to miss the big clean spot on the back of the seat tube.

Nobby Nic is pretty much brand new, so has its full diameter right now.

My analysis- does not happen very often, it's not going to hurt the bike, and I'm not going to worry about it....
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Quick update- I did get tire to seat tube rub today on a big hit hauling ass to the finish line at a TMBRA race. Was probably cooking at about 25 or so, flying down the final single track. Knocked the ring off the shock. With all the mid on the course today, it was hard to miss the big clean spot on the back of the seat tube.

Nobby Nic is pretty much brand new, so has its full diameter right now.

My analysis- does not happen very often, it's not going to hurt the bike, and I'm not going to worry about it....
    Hmmm, didn't want to read that!
    Could you tell if it was tire rub or possibly mud rub? Also, since you haven't experienced it before, was the shock setting the same?

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Hmmm, didn't want to read that!
    Could you tell if it was tire rub or possibly mud rub? Also, since you haven't experienced it before, was the shock setting the same?
    Well let's put it this way- I was standing in the bike wash line and the guy behind me pointed it out; clean paint surrounded by mud. By the finish, most of the mud on the tires was gone, so it was definitely rubber to seat tube.

I have been jacking with shock pressure. Was running it pretty firm, and have been slowly softening it up. Really mostly use it as a trail/AM bike for weekend rides, and race the Big Top, but the tires on the SB were way more conducive to conditions yesterday than the race tires on the BT. Left all the shock/fork pressures the same as I do for all day excursions on BCGB. Probably should have added 5 lbs to the shock.

No harm to the bike- I just went out to the garage, and now that the bike is clean, there is no evidence of the rub, either visually or by feel. May have happened in the past; I keep the bikes clean, and the only way it was noticeable is due to the mud on the frame.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    No harm to the bike- I just went out to the garage, and now that the bike is clean, there is no evidence of the rub, either visually or by feel. May have happened in the past; I keep the bikes clean, and the only way it was noticeable is due to the mud on the frame.
    Surprised it's not missing a bit-o-paint (anodizing), so it must be just a smidge at full compression, like a 1/16" away from perfection. Time to get the tire grinder out.
    Since my broken hand has kept me off the bike I haven't put my 2.35 NN on yet. Wonder if the 2.25 has a smaller radii.

I figured the race conditions could be a bit sketchy, but at least it wasn't full on mud pit.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    I figured the race conditions could be a bit sketchy, but at least it wasn't full on mud pit.
    Not nearly as bad as I feared early yesterday driving out. Cat 3 race was nastier, as the rain had just stopped. By the time we went at 10:45 or so, the only really ugly part was the first bit of single track- they launched us up the road to avoid most of the red clay. By the time we got to the top of Fat Chucks, trail conditions were pretty bueno.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I put some clear friction tape on the back of my seat tube out of paranoia, and rubbed it good doing downhilling last Labor day weekend (Burke Mtn, VT). Tame DH, but DH none the less. High speed, high-G-force berms, some significant drops and jumps. 2.3" Geax Sturdy tire.

I'm sticking to 2.2" tires, probably, for the back. IF I can. I want to try the new 2.35" Ikon though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The 2.35 NN tire looks so right on the bike, but it just doesn't work without rubbing. The 2.25 NN works just fine, but makes me wonder what I'm giving for traction compared to the 2.35.

I will add I'm super stoked on these tires. Great predictable traction

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wfo922 View Post
    I will add I'm super stoked on these tires. Great predictable traction
    Put a Hans Damf on the front- combo is unbeatable, IMHO.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeti issue with tire clearance? You shouldn't be surprised.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast