Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SB 75 vs SB 95

mtbr member
    May 2005

SB 75 vs SB 95

I've demoed both bikes, and had fun on both. The SB 75 was more playful on the trail. On the same trails I was faster on the SB 95, and cleared much more on a difficult trail than I did on the 75. Also, the people I ride with are all on 29" and while I am just as fast or faster downhill on my old 575, I'm slower on the climbs.

So more flickable SB 75 or clear more/ride faster to keep up with group SB 95?

mtbr member
    Fun or speed? Two bike solution with a 29'r for XC rides and keep the 575 for fun rides?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Really glad I read this. I have wanted a Yeti for many years. I currently own a Ventana El Padrino 29er HT and a Ventana El Bastardo FS 27.5". I love both bikes but really enjoy the 27.5" wheel set. I don't want to pull the trigger on the SB75 because I'd want either the full carbon version or one with a Alum front and Carbon rear triangle. However after reading this article am thinking of just pulling the trigger on the SB95. It already has the carbon rear triangle and by the sounds of it will be a faster bike. I ride in Michigan and don't really need the flickability. However I do like my bikes to handle really well so am on the fence about getting a 29er FS. I am only 5'6" so the 27.5" wheel size really fits me nicely. Just wish Yeti would have released the SB75 with the carbon rear right away. Unfortunately I can't test ride either because my LBS that sells Yeti does not get in any demo bikes.

LCW
    mtbr member

SB 75 vs SB 95

The SB75 should have been the 76 or even 77. OP - I agree with the suggestion. Keep the 575 and get the SB95.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    absolutely love my sb95c... plenty "flickable"

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I think the notion that a 29er can't be "playful" is a bad one--the bike's top-tube and stay length have as much to do with it as wheel size. Once I put on a light (but wide!) set of rims (Carver carbon AM rims) and set the fork to 130 (which balances the front to the rear and gives you a 68 degree HT angle), the bike became plenty play-worthy while retaining the roll over anything-ness.
    Keith in Corvallis

Yeti SB-95 Race
    Yeti Big Top Race
    Niner SIR 9 SS
    Foundry Auger
    Vulture SS
    GT GTR Carbon Expert

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting this.

I was getting ready to ask what people thought, but decided on a search instead.

SB95 for me!
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    absolutely love my sb95c... plenty "flickable"
    +1

..and it climbs over stuff like this far easier than my 575 ever did.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I was a yeti demo today...I owned a 575 and currently own a sb66c. I did the same loop today on a sb95c, my sb66c, and sb75.. This is the first time I did this trail on my sb66c but have many times on my 575....

Sb66c vs 575...sb was better climber and carbon frame was a better damper. My 575 was push rp23 and 36/160rc2 fork.. Descending 575 feels more plush and sb feels more efficient but did decide I didn't miss my 36 and enjoyed my xfusion slant on my sb66.

Vs. sb75. 75 did all you expect from a 650b. Same as sb66 but with a bit noticeable better roll over and climbing vs the previous two bikes.

Vs sb95c...this was my last ride of the day and I was the most tired getting on it... Loved the fit, fell, faster uphill than all bikes mentioned and also down. I did my fastest loop with this bike...maybe fall in love again with it and second guess having bought the sb66c vs the sb95c..

Trail was fire road,smooth and rocky single track climbing and downhill with tight switch backs....

I am 6'4 235lbs geared up..rode all bikes in XL except sb75 was lg

For me since owning 26 already if I was going to buy just one bike...sb95c would win..stiff,relative light and a good fit for me...

Btw..sb95c was in yellow which I had never seen before..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    +1

..and it climbs over stuff like this far easier than my 575 ever did.

These pics just sold me on the 95c, sections like this where the 29er will float through. Glad I'm due for an upgrade of the entire stable this winter.

Bikes!
    The big wheels definitely roll better and the 95c is a fun, fast bike.

LCW
    mtbr member

SB 75 vs SB 95

Yeti575inCa - sounds like you were far more impressed with the SB95 than the SB75... Your comments and lack of enthusiasm about the SB75 are interesting... To me it might hint at how Yeti took forever to get the 29er to market but got it very right- aka the SB95 that people still rave about 2 + yrs after it's been released... But seemingly rushed the SB75 to market because every other bike maker is doing so too and nine of them want to get left behind like the early 29er days...

SB75 - jack of all trades, master of none??

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    LCW - SB75 jack of all trades master of none is probably a good way to put it.
    By no means is it a bad bike. I would wait for the SB75c, since the carbon frames seem to improve so much over the alum frames it replaces...

66a vs 66c = weight, ride and stiffness
    95a vs 95c = all the above plus wider rear triangle, and lighter than 66c frame, and imho a better "raw" finish vs matte finish

I am happy to ride my 66c and wait till next year and compare it to a 75c and 95c

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for all the input. After demoing both the SB 75 and SB 95 (as well as about 10 other bikes) I purchased a SB 95c last week. It's been great so far. Pics to come.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You know I just really like the 95C , the dam thing just really does work good .
    I can not believe how quickly I can cover really nasty ground on the thing .

I have some demos coming and I will be riding many of the 27 and 29 inch bikes in the next few months , so it will be fun fun

mtbr member
    May 2005
    SB 75 vs SB 95-image.jpg

Here is my new SB 95c! I'm absolutely loving it.

Long live the ASR-7
    Beautiful ride.

LCW
    mtbr member

SB 75 vs SB 95

Looks good in the gloss black!

mtbr member
    Getting a black one myself, ordered up the turquoise CK bits since I'm really fussy. Yeti should have a deal with CK so that we could buy the turquoise hubs, headsets, bb's in the online store, 'cause you know when the limited edition door closes at CK, they will be gone!

mtbr member
    Wow, I was all set to order a SB75 until I read this and now I'm wondering if I should go with the SB95. I thought being 5'5" tall I would have a hard time riding a 29er but again after reading this I am having second thoughts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    LCW - SB75 jack of all trades master of none is probably a good way to put it.
    By no means is it a bad bike. I would wait for the SB75c, since the carbon frames seem to improve so much over the alum frames it replaces...

66a vs 66c = weight, ride and stiffness
    95a vs 95c = all the above plus wider rear triangle, and lighter than 66c frame, and imho a better "raw" finish vs matte finish

I am happy to ride my 66c and wait till next year and compare it to a 75c and 95c
    Yeti575inCA, I am currently on a 160mm travel GT Force 1.0 and am looking to purchase a Yeti and move to 650b or LT 29er.....I am also a bigger rider at 6'3" and 215 lbs and have had my eyes on a SB-95 after riding one in Colorado (I live in MA). First off.....trying to figure out if I should be on an XL or L since I am on the edge per Yeti's size chart (the one I demoed was a Large and felt ok, but not sure). Most of the time I demo and ride XL cause the Larges feel too small.

Also, how are the wheels on the Yeti SB-95C.....have heard from a few people that the wheels were really really weak. Thinking of getting X01, but can't believe they would put Crests on that build. I want to get the carbon for the weight savings, but am worried with how hard I ride and the rocky/rooty tech on my local trails.

Let me know your thoughts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have xx1 and derbys wide carbon rims on my sb95c. I've beat the **** out of them, they're pretty scratched up but are still true. Took them to my wheel builder yesterday after putting 200 miles or so on them and he was very happy with how they're working.
    Front Range, Colorado
    Yeti SB95c
    Yeti ARC c
    Surly ICT

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    How much does the bike weigh with xx1 and carbon rims? What size is it? Running tubeless?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Mine is a medium with XX1, roval traverse SL carbon wheels, tubeless, and added weight from a dropper post. With pedals it is right around 27lbs.

mtbr member
    Any short dudes able to complete the same test? SB75 vs SB95?
    Preferably 5'4"-5'8" .
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast