mtbr member
    Apr 2013

SB-66c Enduro build upgrade advice?

Hi all,

I just bought an SB-66c Enduro build. Love the bike and was able to rent/demo the SB-66 alloy Enduro build before buying.

What are the most cost-effective component upgrades? The Pro build was out of my budget, but I'm looking to upgrade certain components over time (next 12-18 months). I'm hoping to chart out my plan/schedule/budget for upgrades over that timeframe. Which upgrades would give me the most bang for my buck? Which component upgrades should I prioritize?

I plan on getting a dropper seatpost first, then moving on (slowly) from there. Fork upgrade seems out of the question anytime soon given the prices for forks. I'm thinking about targeting the brakes and upgrading them to Shimano XT, then next upgrading the wheels.

My former bike was a 2011 Pivot Mach 5.7 XT/XTR build (which I sold a year ago) and I was very happy with the XT components.

Any advice is appreciated, including advice for specific brakes/wheels/parts you recommend. Current Enduro build info below (the column to the right is the Pro build). Thanks!

ENDURO RACE
    FORK FOX 32 150 CTD ADJ 15 FOX 34 150 CTD ADJ 15 FOX 34 150 CTD ADJ 15
    HEADSET CANE CREEK CANE CREEK CANE CREEK
    CRANKSET SRAM S1000 (22-33-44) SHIMANO XT (24-38) SHIMANO XTR (26-38)
    FRONT DER SRAM X7 SHIMANO XT SHIMANO XTR
    REAR DER SRAM X-9 10SPD SHIMANO XT 10SPD SHIMANO XTR 10SPD
    SHIFTERS SRAM X-7 10SPD SHIMANO XT 10SPD SHIMANO XTR 10SPD
    CASSETTE SRAM 10SPD SHIMANO 10SPD SHIMANO XTR 10SPD
    CHAIN SRAM 10SPD SHIMANO 10SPD SHIMANO XTR 10SPD
    WHEELS MAVIC CROSSRIDE DT SWISS M1700 DT SWISS 240/XM450TL
    TIRES MAXXIS MAXXIS MAXXIS
    BRAKES/LEVERS AVID ELIXIR 5 SHIMANO XT SHIMANO XTR TRAIL
    HANDLEBAR TRUVATIV T20 EASTON HAVEN CARBON EASTON HAVEN CARBON
    STEM TRUVATIV T20 THOMSON X4 THOMSON X4
    GRIPS YETI LOCK-ON YETI LOCK-ON YETI LOCK-ON
    SADDLE YETI CUSTOM YETI CUSTOM WTB YETI BRANDED
    SEATPOST TRUVATIV T20

mtbr member
    Mine was an Enduro build but left the shop with dropper post, tubeless, and brakes swapped out for XLS. Later I went wider bars w/shorter stem and changed the front chain rings to Race Face 24/36/bash, I'm really digging it now ! The short stem and wide bars was the best bang for the buck. I don't plan on a wheel change until they are trashed, if that ever happens.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by joel63 View Post
    Mine was an Enduro build but left the shop with dropper post, tubeless, and brakes swapped out for XLS. Later I went wider bars w/shorter stem and changed the front chain rings to Race Face 24/36/bash, I'm really digging it now ! The short stem and wide bars was the best bang for the buck. I don't plan on a wheel change until they are trashed, if that ever happens.
    Hmm, I didn't even think about the stem and handlebars. That sounds like a good idea. What effect did the shorter stem and wider bars have for your ride quality?

mtbr member
    The bike handled way better than anything I had ridden before, but this thread made me decide to give it a try. philosophical question on stem length for SB-66
    After I went to the 50mm stem & 730mm bars it put me in a better position on the bike for comfort, handles better all around and really rails the corners. It's also much easier to manual with no negative effect while climbing.
    I forgot to mention I also went from a 2.25 Ardent to 2.40 on the front after the short stem/wide bars, that improved the front grip as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the link. That was a very educating thread. I'm gonna take my SB-66 for a few more spins to before deciding whether to change the stem and handlebars, but it seems like it will. I'm 5'6" riding a size small.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hello. 5'6 here too on a small. I pieced together my 66c, but swapped out a few parts since last August:

Stem: Thomson 70mm to 50mm (711mm Easton Carbon bar). Handles much better. Climbing not an issue.

Fork: Fox 32 150 to Fox 34 150 (some claim that the 32 is undergunned for this frame). You'll have trouble finding a 150 34 though since it's Yeti OEM. I was able to purchase one on Pinkbike. The 160 34 can be bought retail and spaced down, but the A2C is a bit longer than the 150 so the geometry is changed a bit.

Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece to Rockshox Reverb. I'll never ride without a dropper again. Thomson just started shipping their dropper today, too.

Tires: Continental X-Kings (nope... these do not work in New England) to Continental Trail Kings (best tire I've ridden)

Drivetrain: XTR 2x10 to 1x10 (34t front, 36 rear) with an e13 TRS+ guide. I never used the front derailleur much, so I removed it and now my dropper switch is where the shifter used to be (right side mount, flipped upside down on the left).

Seat: Fizik Gobi XM w/ Carbon Rails to Fizik Gobi XM w/ Kium Rails. Carbon rails on a bike like this is stupid. My own fault. I'm taking drops like never before, so it was only a matter of time before they snapped.

Either way, the bike is so much fun. You already know that. I'd say a wide bar and shorter stem would be priority upgrades. Then the dropper. As you say, forks aren't cheap... so ride what you have until the time comes.

SB-66c Enduro build upgrade advice?-__huck.jpg

mtbr member
    I also got an SB66c Enduro last year. I did a bunch of upgrades including XT Brakes, 50mm stem with 750mm bars. The best one was definitely the seat dropper (KS Lev).

Hoki

mtbr member
    The brakes, go ahead and upgrade the Elixir's. I had them on my ASR-7, my wife on her ASR-5. As soon as I had inconsistency with braking on my bike, I first made sure before we received my wifes bike to ask them to swap hers with Magura MT2's and I replaced mine with MT6's. I went with Magura because their customer service is awesome. Others may have swapped to XT and XTRs from Shimano.

mtbr member
    The brakes.

I've just finished upgrading my drivetrain (XO 2x10) and the wheels (Haven Carbon), what has made the biggest difference were the XT brake over the POS Avid 5s.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the input everyone. I went ahead and upgraded to a KS Lev dropper post. After taking the bike for a few spins on local trails and fun/fast descents, I also decided to bite the bullet now and upgrade to XT brakes. The Avid 5s did the job ok, but were nowhere near as confidence-inspiring as the XT brakes on my old Pivot.

Next upgrade will be the stem and handlebars.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The best upgrade to that build would be the fork. I originally had a 32 but I found the front end took me where it wanted to go I recently upgraded to a 36 and the difference is phenomenal. It has transformed the bike. It's a 160mm version for the moment so I had to move me seat forward a bit and the cockpit as shorted a touch. But the change was well worth it, the bike goes where I want it to go and I don't get wrist pump anymore. The 32 150mm fork is a poor fork compared to just about everything else.

mtbr member
    Absolutely the first thing I would have done. Shimano brakes are so much superior than their avid counterparts (and totally worth the extra money), I wouldn't even consider including them on any bike if I ran a bike company.

LCW
    mtbr member
    OP ... honestly I'd upgrade the fork to a 36 RC2 160 (or 180 if you are more into the descents)...

As for the brakes, I guess I'm lucky, but been running my Elixir CR's since 2008 (when they first came out)... they are now on my 3rd and current bike (my Yeti) and no issues - best brakes I've owned - which I keep moving them from bike to bike ... maybe Avid changed something in the design since the initial release in '08 to make them suck? dunno... but mine work flawlessly

And yes, get a dropper - best innovation on mountain bikes, since suspensions and disc brakes.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs