mtbr member
    May 2010

SB-66a vs ASR-5c

My previous bike was a 2009 Trek Fuel EX 8 and I'm currently riding a SB-66a with a mix of XT and XTR components and Fox 32 150mm fork. I have been on it it for about 6 months and it does everything I want it to but for the type of riding I have access to it's more bike than I need. I really enjoy hitting the jumps on my local trails but the jumps where I live are no more than 1'-2' drops or gap jumps with 2'-3' of air at most. I have the chip kit and rear thru axle installed, and love how stiff the frame and suspension feel. The switch suspension is great and I have no complaints with the bike other than it has more travel than I need and I could save some weight by switching to an ASR5c. I have never ridden an ASR5c but from all the reviews I've read it's a great trail bike. My question to anyone who has spent time on both an SB-66 (alloy or carbon) and an ASR5c, is how does the ASR5c pedal compared to the SB-66? I know the SB-66 will descend better, but does the switch suspension on the SB-66 make it climb so well that I wouldn't even notice a difference in the reduced weight of the ASR5c?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I should add that I would run a 140mm fork on the ASR5c, not a 120. Also I lied when I said I don't have any complaints about the SB-66. I get a ton of pedal strikes when riding and I know that the bike is designed to be low and fast, which it is, but I'm still adjusting to it. I'm also chasing a squeak in the frame that sounds like a baby bird chirping while I'm riding.

mtbr member
    I found the ASR5 to handle like a Porsche and the 66 to be like an AWD rally car. The ASR5 was very nimble but I actually preferred the climbing of the 66. The ASR5 seemed to be balanced weird for me. In the end, I liked the SB95 more than either of them. It's worth checking out.
    That creep can roll, man.