mtbr member

SB-66A Switch Link Bearing Removal...

So I thought I'd post this info because I found nothing on the Interwebs about folks who were self servicing their SB66s. Specifically, the removal of the eccentric pivot bearings, the big ones.

I went to Oriely's Auto Parts and rented a Rear Axle Bearing Remover Set, with a 5lb slide hammer. The smaller of the 3 pullers in the set works perfectly. It works so well I'm thinking of just buying one.

That and the use of long sockets and punches for the others worked well, but think I will invest in a bearing press and drift set.
    If your not wreckin', your not ridin'.

pfb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Did you try just tapping them out from the opposite side with a punch? I can't imagine it takes much to get them out.

Looks like access is pretty good...

mtbr member
    Yes, but I was getting increasingly nervous about the amount of force I was needing to use, and putting that all in one spot with a punch is no bueno.

I should mention I started this because of a persistent creak, and I'd done all the axles and bearing sets but the Switch link. Oddly, I would have thought the bearing set that the top of the dog bone and the top of the rear triangle attach to would have been the main culprit. Those bearing are totally exposed, and are also a prime target for sweat drip. In fact, those bearing were in really bad shape. The grease had turned in to what looked like black chalk. But now they are good as new after a good cleaning/repacking. Switch Link main axle appears to have been the noise maker. It was bone dry.

Coming from a Spot with grease zerks, I'm wishing Yeti would make the switch in that direction...
    If your not wreckin', your not ridin'.