Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I Like Bicycles

SB-66: Worn-out stop bolt

I noticed my SB-66 starting to knock again (got new eccentric and front triangle under warranty), so I checked out the inners and found the rubber tip on the stop bolt came off. Further inspection showed that it's gotten pretty chewed up, to the point where it just falls off the bolt and rolls around inside the eccentric. Anyways, my bike is good for now as I've just glued the rubber tip to the bolt itself.

I've e-mailed Yeti asking for 2+ replacement rubber tips. Looks like this is a part that will need to be replaced regularly. Anyone else having this problem? The image below is the rubber tip, after only 3 months of riding. Looks like Yeti may have some fine-tuning to do with the rubber compound of the part:

SB-66: Worn-out stop bolt-66440_148053665394637_1843379747_n.jpg
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimk View Post
    I noticed my SB-66 starting to knock again (got new eccentric and front triangle under warranty), so I checked out the inners and found the rubber tip on the stop bolt came off. Further inspection showed that it's gotten pretty chewed up, to the point where it just falls off the bolt and rolls around inside the eccentric. Anyways, my bike is good for now as I've just glued the rubber tip to the bolt itself.

I've e-mailed Yeti asking for 2+ replacement rubber tips. Looks like this is a part that will need to be replaced regularly. Anyone else having this problem? The image below is the rubber tip, after only 3 months of riding. Looks like Yeti may have some fine-tuning to do with the rubber compound of the part:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66440_148053665394637_1843379747_n.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	819246
    This lower link assembly is going to have to be maintained very often , I took mine apart and found it dry,.....I lubed it up really good with "Slick Honey" and will keep an eye on it , but the rubber tipped stop bolt needs to be greased really good also .

And if you wash your bike with water or run the bike through muddy conditions you are going to contaminate the bushing and the stop bolt really quickly also.

If you keep the link clean and really packed with "Slick Honey" there will not be a problem , how often we will all be servicing the link will depend on environment and how the bike is cared for, I am going to take mine apart at 2 months and check and see how its doing .

For me out here in the dry I will probably be able to do a service on it every 6 months and keep it like new.

But in some of the wetter conditions and if you water wash you bike the intervals will have to be stepped up.

I Like Bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post
    This lower link assembly is going to have to be maintained very often , I took mine apart and found it dry,.....I lubed it up really good with "Slick Honey" and will keep an eye on it , but the rubber tipped stop bolt needs to be greased really good also .

And if you wash your bike with water or run the bike through muddy conditions you are going to contaminate the bushing and the stop bolt really quickly also.

If you keep the link clean and really packed with "Slick Honey" there will not be a problem , how often we will all be servicing the link will depend on environment and how the bike is cared for, I am going to take mine apart at 2 months and check and see how its doing .

For me out here in the dry I will probably be able to do a service on it every 6 months and keep it like new.

But in some of the wetter conditions and if you water wash you bike the intervals will have to be stepped up.
    Yeah, I figured that when I took out the stop bolt. Good thing I have some Slick Honey and Phil Wood at my disposal. Either should greatly reduce friction when the stop bolt hits the eccentric.

I do wash my bike on a weekly basis as a matter of fact. However, when I opened up my eccentric, it was still clean and well lubed after 3 months of proper riding. I was quite pleased and surprised.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

I Like Bicycles
    This is what Yeti said to me. In short, excellent service:

"All that [shock setup] sounds normal to me. The only thing I can think is if you are riding it really hard and coming off the ground frequently (which we highly recommend). The bumper will contact the eccentric when you are going through a lot of travel quickly. As in full extension in the air, compressing hard on a landing. If you are riding like this with any frequency it is not abnormal to need to replace that bumper head more often. Again, feel free to ask any questions as they come up."
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    This is what Yeti said to me. In short, excellent service:

"All that [shock setup] sounds normal to me. The only thing I can think is if you are riding it really hard and coming off the ground frequently (which we highly recommend). The bumper will contact the eccentric when you are going through a lot of travel quickly. As in full extension in the air, compressing hard on a landing. If you are riding like this with any frequency it is not abnormal to need to replace that bumper head more often. Again, feel free to ask any questions as they come up."
    This information from Yeti is interesting and enlightening , I will order me acoupple of those bumper heads to have on hand when needed.

Yeti really seems like a good company with great customer concern !

I Like Bicycles
    This information from Yeti is interesting and enlightening , I will order me acoupple of those bumper heads to have on hand when needed.

Yeti really seems like a good company with great customer concern !
    Where are you ordering them from? I wouldn't mind just buying them if available online, rather than nagging my LBS again.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Where are you ordering them from? I wouldn't mind just buying them if available online, rather than nagging my LBS again.
    I only have one shop that deals with Yeti over around me and I don't get very good service from them , and they are a long way away ( actually I do not get very good service from any shops over by me )

I have not yet located the rear derailed hanger # either for the carbon frame , so I was just going to call Yeti and see if they would send me acoupple hangers and acoupple bumper heads .

They probably won't so I will have to call the shop and go through that nut roll and huge time suck

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I've had a couple direct dealings with Yeti support people and they've been top notch, calling and talking to them is a reasonable path for little parts support I think.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I had this problem! A perfect got for the bump stop is a car tyre valve cover!! A Nearly perfect match in dimensions.

I used one on mine and zero issues usesd some sticky glue just as I was paranoid. So perfect it was scary!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I've had a couple direct dealings with Yeti support people and they've been top notch, calling and talking to them is a reasonable path for little parts support I think.
    This would really make me happy , from everything I have herd about Yeti I was counting on this being the case , I will report back on what happens .

I Like Bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by moneycash View Post
    I had this problem! A perfect got for the bump stop is a car tyre valve cover!! A Nearly perfect match in dimensions.

I used one on mine and zero issues usesd some sticky glue just as I was paranoid. So perfect it was scary!

This is actually an amazing post...

Even with the hard plastic, there is no knocking with the suspension?
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I was told I would have to buy the whole eccentric assembly!!
    :-0 was pissed! Bike was 3 months old.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yetifan in the UK sell the bump stoppers (YETI SB Switch end stop) on their own for 2.49 each.

YETI SB Models | Yetifan

Part 21 YETI SB Switch end stop

Don't think postage would be much either on such a small item?

Possible that somewhere in the US sells them but Yetifan often supply individual small parts that nowhere else does, really good service from them and if your ever struggling to get a specific part and you can't get it here you probably can't get it anywhere except Yeti directly.

Mine is 18 months old and as I live in the lake district in the UK it gets washed after every ride and my bump stopper is ok. I do use the full travel but do like a firmer ride so have my shock firm so that's probably why I slam up against the stopper less or simply I'm just not riding as hard.

I Like Bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketMagnet View Post
    Yetifan in the UK sell the bump stoppers (YETI SB Switch end stop) on their own for 2.49 each.

YETI SB Models | Yetifan

Boooo... I tried to check-out, and they don't ship to Canada.

I'll continue to nag my LBS.
    Part 21 YETI SB Switch end stop

Don't think postage would be much either on such a small item?

Possible that somewhere in the US sells them but Yetifan often supply individual small parts that nowhere else does, really good service from them and if your ever struggling to get a specific part and you can't get it here you probably can't get it anywhere except Yeti directly.

Mine is 18 months old and as I live in the lake district in the UK it gets washed after every ride and my bump stopper is ok. I do use the full travel but do like a firmer ride so have my shock firm so that's probably why I slam up against the stopper less or simply I'm just not riding as hard.
    Booo... I just tried to checkout and they don't ship to Canada.

I'll continue to nag my LBS.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Try dropping Andrew at yetifan an Email or post on the boards as a guest, he always tries to help where possible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Well it was just as I thought, Yeti of North America will not sell me the stop bumper .
    (I found the part number for just the bumper on their site )
    In fact the first guy "Dave" that I talked to really did not care at all and just wanted me off the phone and said I have to call a Dealer.
    Then I called right back ( because "Dave" did not even listen that I wanted 2 derailure hangers and said I should buy them off the store site ,,,,,,,the store does not show the SB95C hangers , all the store has is the SB95A hangers , but "Dave" did not care.

Then I talked to another employee and was told that they did not have any SB95C hangers at all and she did not know when they would be in .

I thought this was kinda odd , ( How pissed is some customer going to be when he rips his hanger off on his new carbon bike and can't get one ).

Then she told me I would have to order the hanger from a Dealer

I can make a hanger and I can make the stop bolt bumper, so its not a huge deal for me but I wanted to let everybody else with a carbon SB know to be really careful because your not going to get a hanger anytime soon

So For Me ,Dealing with Yeti has been less than desirable so far .

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by moneycash View Post

That is a great Idea , I was going to machine some out of "Delron" if need be .

I Like Bicycles
    Well it was just as I thought, Yeti of North America will not sell me the stop bumper .
    (I found the part number for just the bumper on their site )
    In fact the first guy "Dave" that I talked to really did not care at all and just wanted me off the phone and said I have to call a Dealer.
    Then I called right back ( because "Dave" did not even listen that I wanted 2 derailure hangers and said I should buy them off the store site ,,,,,,,the store does not show the SB95C hangers , all the store has is the SB95A hangers , but "Dave" did not care.

Then I talked to another employee and was told that they did not have any SB95C hangers at all and she did not know when they would be in .

I thought this was kinda odd , ( How pissed is some customer going to be when he rips his hanger off on his new carbon bike and can't get one ).

Then she told me I would have to order the hanger from a Dealer

I can make a hanger and I can make the stop bolt bumper, so its not a huge deal for me but I wanted to let everybody else with a carbon SB know to be really careful because your not going to get a hanger anytime soon

So For Me ,Dealing with Yeti has been less than desirable so far .
    How did you bust your hanger? I used to break mine frequently years ago, I just stopped resting my bike on the derailleur side. Riding smoother helps alot too! I haven't busted a hangar in about 5 years now.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    How did you bust your hanger? I used to break mine frequently years ago, I just stopped resting my bike on the derailleur side. Riding smoother helps alot too! I haven't busted a hangar in about 5 years now.
    I generally brake off one derailleur hanger every 1 to 2 years without fail , Hear in Az we ride in rocky hack that is just everywhere , and sometimes a rider in front will kick up a huge rock and throw it right back at you and it will clean the derailleur right off and you really have no warning , and of course your 10 miles out , so I like to carry at least 1 hanger so I can get back to the truck.

Thats why I was trying to get 2 hangers , they will just be spare hangers I have not broken the stock hanger yet , but I know I will

I Like Bicycles
    I generally brake off one derailleur hanger every 1 to 2 years without fail , Hear in Az we ride in rocky hack that is just everywhere , and sometimes a rider in front will kick up a huge rock and throw it right back at you and it will clean the derailleur right off and you really have no warning , and of course your 10 miles out , so I like to carry at least 1 hanger so I can get back to the truck.

Thats why I was trying to get 2 hangers , they will just be spare hangers I have not broken the stock hanger yet , but I know I will
    That sucks. Where I'm from, we have more dirt than rocks.

I called my LBS earlier today about the bumper, they said they'd call Yeti to hand some over... Will keep updating.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That sucks. Where I'm from, we have more dirt than rocks.

I called my LBS earlier today about the bumper, they said they'd call Yeti to hand some over... Will keep updating.
    Here is look at the "National Trail " system here in Phoenix AZ , I am on a 26er here but the SB 95 actually works really good here also , you can see how one little slip could rip the hanger right off.

before work part 2, 5-3-11 from kelstr on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just called "Jenson Usa " and asked them if they would get me and carry the 95C hangers and the "Stop bolt Bumpers" , and they said they would .

So eventually we will be able to order the bumpers and carbon 95 hangers right on Jenson.

I Like Bicycles
    I just called "Jenson Usa " and asked them if they would get me and carry the 95C hangers and the "Stop bolt Bumpers" , and they said they would .

So eventually we will be able to order the bumpers and carbon 95 hangers right on Jenson.
    Hmmm... The question is: When? Summer ain't gettin' any longer up here!
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hmmm... The question is: When? Summer ain't gettin' any longer up here!
    I would be willing to bet they can get the stop bolt bumpers Quickly , Yeti had those in stock , It might take alittle longer to get the 95C Hangers ,
    If you call the Jenson 888 880 3811 and ask for the bumper they will get it and call you when its in !!

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism
    Here is look at the "National Trail " system here in Phoenix AZ , I am on a 26er here but the SB 95 actually works really good here also , you can see how one little slip could rip the hanger right off.

before work part 2, 5-3-11 from kelstr on Vimeo.

Ahhh! Please don't post pictures of South Mountain. I spent six years @ ASU riding there 2-3x a week and soooooooooooooo miss it.

I'm kidding and jealous.

Oni

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast