Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

SB-66 Tire Hitting Seat Tube

Has anyone had this problem? I have a 2.2 Conti Trail King tire on the rear. I was at about 30% sag and took a g out and a smaller drop to tranny and bottomed out.It buzzed my seat tube and put 2 marks about an inch long though the paint and primer. This was my 3rd ride on the bike and loving it but not if this is going to happen all the time or at all.
    Last edited by tdubb; 12-25-2011 at 07:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Hard to imagine a tire doing this. Can you post a picture ?

mtbr member
    "busted seat tube"? I dunno...

But, it's pretty common on most bikes with too little shock pressure to rub a little. I'd accurately add some air to the Rp23 or whatever you're running, rubbing should then go away. Blown shock perhaps?
    Last edited by bpnic; 12-25-2011 at 07:11 AM.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have experienced the same thing, I have a 2.5 minion exo on mine though and I know it has only happened on pretty solid bottoming out while dirt jumping and aggressive descending.

Oh mine has not "busted" anything but I have worn all the way to aluminum :P

Not worried about it, I love it and want to keep it as nice as possible but I bought it to ride the hell out of it and I'm not scared to ride it like I stole it.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member
    May 2004

Take out the air and cycle the suspension

Deflate the shock of all the air. Then cycle the suspension and see what hits when the shock is totally bottomed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I know that bikerader were complaining about it blowing through its travel to easily in there review and turn out it was down to a faulty RP23 so maybe the same thing ? Been hearing a lot of reports recently about reliability issues with fox shox and fork.Me and a mate have both in the last six months sent a set of fox 36's back to mojo for warranty work because we were having problems.

mtbr member
    Interesting, my ST on my SB66 is scuffed pretty good as well after riding on a 3 week old frame now. Thought is was from my adj. seatpost cable rubbing on it when extended from lowered position, but now realize it is from my rear tire rubbing on it at bottom out. Sounds like the Fox air volume spacer kit will help with this and required if doing any hits on this bike, especially if bigger rider >200lbs since there is no high speed compression or bottom out control on the shock.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radman View Post
    I know that bikerader were complaining about it blowing through its travel to easily in there review and turn out it was down to a faulty RP23 so maybe the same thing ? Been hearing a lot of reports recently about reliability issues with fox shox and fork.Me and a mate have both in the last six months sent a set of fox 36's back to mojo for warranty work because we were having problems.
    I think even with a good operating RP23 shock, bottom out and rear tire rub will happen a bit depending on the rider size, type of riding, sag, tire pressure, etc. due to the soft (plush) nature of the end stroke inherent to the suspension design. I think a shock with bottom out control is a necessity for doing any more aggro riding on this bike like the DHX air.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    I would think that the limit of the shock stroke should be reached before the tire has a chance to make contact with the frame, let alone hitting it hard enough to break the seat tube.

Sounds like you're looking at warranty replacement on the frame?

mtbr member
    It just sounds like some of you guys are running tires that are too tall for this frame. Whether the suspension bottoms out easily or not is irrelevant; the tire should not contact the seat tube at mechanical bottom out.

Take the shock off the frame and let the tire contact the seat tube. Measure the distance between the shock bolts: if it is less than 6in (shock length at bottom out) that particular tire will hit the seat tube before bottom out. The difference between the distance between shock bolts at tire contact and 6in times the leverage ratio will tell how much travel is sacrificed.

mtbr member
    He's using a 2.2, wouldn't that be well within reason for tire size, regardless of tire manufacture variances?

I do completely agree that the mechanical bottom out should be reached before the tire could come into contact with the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmountain View Post
    He's using a 2.2, wouldn't that be well within reason for tire size, regardless of tire manufacture variances?

One would think, but the OP also stated it broke his seat tube.... My point is, maybe he's actually running a Conti 2.4/2.5" tire. He has yet to post any pictures.

mtbr member
    Yes, I want to get more details on this. It certainly changes my mind 100% about this frame as I intend to use it in exactly the same way the OP is.

mtbr member
    Yes, I want to get more details on this. It certainly changes my mind 100% about this frame as I intend to use it in exactly the same way the OP is.
    I run Mountain King 2.4 tires on my sb, and with the same same ride style as the OP, I have not had any rubbing. (Running a stock 8.5x2.5 rp23).

mtbr member
    I hope the OP come back with some pics and details. There are two other people posting they've had problems with the tire rubbing.

BPNIC, maybe you would be willing to try the experiment above to see if deflating the shock would allow the tire to contact the frame or would the shock reach bottom out first?

mtbr member
    Well, it's just happens to be Christmas and my kids are in bed. Oh, and I'm not drunk yet, so yes.....I'll help out.

At mechanical bottom out I have 1/2" clearance with my current rear tire, a Schwalbe NN 2.25. I have measured it's height, and compared that to the height of my front tire, a Conti MK 2.4. (Flatted rear MK 2.4 recently) The heights of the tires are essentially the same.

Pics-

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...52602961074417
    Last edited by bpnic; 12-25-2011 at 06:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Awesome! Thanks for doing that BPNIC!!! Yes, it looks to me that there is beyond any doubt enough clearance between the tire and frame with the same room to spare other frames have.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Awesome! Thanks for doing that BPNIC!!! Yes, it looks to me that there is beyond any doubt enough clearance between the tire and frame with the same room to spare other frames have.

Thanks again

No problem!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Sorry Guys I edited my original post. It just buzzed the seat post. Damn phone! I can't upload pics for some reason. I let out the air and it looks to be just a hair closer than bpnic photos. I upped the the air for tomorrows ride and we'll see what happens. It is a 2.2 Mtn king tire. I'll try to post some pics again later.I' will be calling Yeti too to see what they have to say.Even when bottomed out the tire should not make contact with the frame.
    Last edited by tdubb; 12-25-2011 at 07:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdubb View Post
    I can't upload pics for some reason. I let out the air and it looks to be just a hair closer than bpnic photos. I upped the the air for tomorrows ride and we'll see what happens. It is a 2.2 Mtn king tire. I'll try to post some pics again later.I' will be calling Yeti too to see what they have to say.Even when bottomed out the tire should not make contact with the frame.
    I hope that it gets resolved positively for you, from my understanding Yeti has a good track record taking care of customers.

I would also ask them how this could have happened as it would seem to me that some metal has to bend for those to make contact.

mtbr member
    Those that are having contact problems might want to list which frame size they are on as the tire clearance could vary based on frame size.

This certainly wouldn't be the first bike with this issue.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity View Post
    Those that are having contact problems might want to list which frame size they are on as the tire clearance could vary based on frame size.

This certainly wouldn't be the first bike with this issue.
    First bike or first SB66 with rub issues?

I have yet to see one single picture of ST rubbing/damage on the 66. Post them if you have them DJ.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    First bike or first SB66 with rub issues?

I have yet to see one single picture of ST rubbing/damage on the 66. Post them if you have them DJ.
    I don't own a SB. I meant that other brands/models also have this issue. I own a Tracer which can rub when used with tall tires. (A 2.2 mountain king is not one of them) I believe there were reports of rubbing with the first generation of mojo HDs as well.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member

I was under the impression most bikes used the same swingarm for each size frame. The swingarm dimensions are usually the same, ie, chainstay, steatstay, ect. lengths.

mtbr member
    I don't own a SB. I meant that other brands/models also have this issue. I own a Tracer which can rub when used with tall tires. (A 2.2 mountain king is not one of them) I believe there were reports of rubbing with the first generation of mojo HDs as well.
    My Mojo and my Intense 5.5 both rubbed, buy my Sb has yet to. this is why I have a hard time understanding what people are posting with regard to this being an issue....i know every case is different, but please people....post some picks with your slander!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast