Thread: SB-66 sizing

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

SB-66 sizing

I'm wondering if anyone has bought a SB-66 that was a size smaller than recomended and is happy or unhappy about that decision. I'm 5'10" and if the geo for a small was written in the Medium column I wouldn't even question it. I've also noticed on some of these pics that people have the saddle all the way forward on the post.

I've seen the coments about how people questioned the longness of the frame only to understand it when they get used to it and would assume that there are a bunch of you wanting to tell me that right now. I get it. Just wanted to see if anyone disreguarded all the recomendations and went with a size smaller and what they thought.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyboss View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone has bought a SB-66 that was a size smaller than recomended and is happy or unhappy about that decision. I'm 5'10" and if the geo for a small was written in the Medium column I wouldn't even question it. I've also noticed on some of these pics that people have the saddle all the way forward on the post.

I've seen the coments about how people questioned the longness of the frame only to understand it when they get used to it and would assume that there are a bunch of you wanting to tell me that right now. I get it. Just wanted to see if anyone disreguarded all the recomendations and went with a size smaller and what they thought.

Thanks.
    I am 5'11"(w/shoes, 5'10" without) with longer inseam and always ridden large sized frames for "all riding" duties and I am going with the medium 66. Even though the numbers look long, I measured my TT of med SB-66 frame I just bought (not built up yet) and measures approx. 23.2" from center of HT to center of ST horizonally (parallel to the ground w/level). Kind of like my large Banshee Rune with 24" TT, but measures 23.1" effectively and I am running a 45mm/0* stem on that and is just about perfect length. Figure a 35-40mm stem should be pefect on the medium 66, but going to start with an old 50mm stem I have lying around and go from there. Rolling the bars inward some can always help to shorten things up if needed and not wanting to run your saddle at max forward position (which I do anyways on my bikes with 66*/71* HTA/STA with fixed length fork to get my weight forward a bit more for the climbs and keeping the front end down).
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9" and pretty much always fit a medium frame well. I went with a medium on the SB66 as well for two reasons - one, the toptube on the small is the same as my current medium frame, but I am looking for a roomier cockpit with a shorter stem. The medium SB66 with a 50mm stem will be almost identical to my current bike with a 70mm stem. Secondly, the seat tube on the medium is the correct length.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    I'm 5'9" as well and ride a medium. I put a 50mm stem on it, and I really love the fit.

If you're 5'10", I'd definitely steer clear of a small.
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    I'm 5'9" as well and ride a medium. I put a 50mm stem on it, and I really love the fit.

If you're 5'10", I'd definitely steer clear of a small.
    Hey JP, you running a Renthal Duo stem on your 66, and if so how you liking it? If going with a 50 stem thinking about about running that, if shorter probably go with a Chromag Ranger 40 on my SB build instead.

BTW..I just picked up my black med frame tonight from LBS (paid off the rest after deposit 2 weeks ago) and the frame looks spectacular and very well made. Can't wait to finally ride it, cause it looks like it will suit my riding style and terrain perfectly, which is trail shreddy/all mountain with capability of handling a bit more or less if needed!
    Ride On!

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    I'm just running a Thomson 50mm stem . . . Fits just right and feels great. (That's what she said)

--JP
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

mtbr member
    I am 5'10 and I am going to order the medium sb66. I have gotten to the point where I just can't run long stems on any of my bikes. I like the idea of having a longer top tube to run short stems and a wide bar, and with Yeti sizing, you can do this without having the taller seat tube height of a large frame. I normally run a 50mm stem on my asr 5, but back in July, I put a 35mm stem on it for a tight twisty super d race. Ha, and its so fun to ride like this that the stem is still on my bike.
    SEI Racing

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks everyone. I'll be coming back from doing everything (FR XC DH & climbing) on a Trans Dirt B and have gotten use to a tight cockpit. If I go the AM SB route I'm sure I would go with a Med. just wanted to see if someone was happy with a small frame in my hieght range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm 5'9' and chose to go with a small. I was coming off a medium Remedy and the relevant measurements and geo of the small looked the same as the medium Remedy on paper. I rode a medium SB66 up at Whistler and even with a 50mm stem it just seemed big to me. I am super stoked on the small; just had to replace the 50 mm stem with a 70mm. Fits like a glove!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Congener View Post
    I'm 5'9' and chose to go with a small. I was coming off a medium Remedy and the relevant measurements and geo of the small looked the same as the medium Remedy on paper. I rode a medium SB66 up at Whistler and even with a 50mm stem it just seemed big to me. I am super stoked on the small; just had to replace the 50 mm stem with a 70mm. Fits like a glove!
    I'm 5'9' as well with a 28.5 inseam. What's your inseam as I'm not sure to go medium or small.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If my jean measurements are correct, then I'm a 30" inseam and have a lot of standover height clearance on my small. For that matter I was comfortable with the standover height on the medium I rode. There is an inch difference in standover height between the small at 27" and medium at 28". Honestly, at 5'9" I think it comes down to personnel preference; a medium with a 50mm stem (or shorter as Jeremy R suggests) or a small with a 70 or 90mm stem. Either way you can't go wrong.