• 01-11-2013
    stunzeed
    SB-66 Questions and Covert Comparisons
    Wanted to hear feedback from people who have own or ridden a covert in comparison to the sb-66. Does the covert really have much of an edge in more aggressive all mountain riding when going down?

Is the rear tire rub still an issue With the 2013? Anyone running a coil or db air on a small frame - curious if it fits?

Is it hard to get a sub 30lb 66?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • 01-12-2013
    ronnyg801
    I would like to hear that feedback as well, The new carbon covert looks sexy as hell!

I will say that my SB66 descends better than I would expect, very amazed by this bike.

I dont think it would be hard to get in to sub 30 range, mine sits at 32.17 with minion exos, a reverb and 2x10(x7 drivetrain). I dont feel I would REALLY benefit from having a lighter bike, that doesnt mean I dont have a dream build worked up that comes in crazy light (IMO) and still pretty bomber trail rig.
  • 01-12-2013
    smellurfingers
    I really like Transition bikes. A friend of mine has a new Covert, it's a great bike and would be on my short list if the SB66 wasn't available. I've ridden it a number of times and really like it, but I wouldn't trade my SB66 for it. The SB66 suspension is a big advantage. Going down they are close, but in different ways. With both using Fox RP23's he Covert is just a bit plusher over the trail chatter, but the Yeti feels more planted when you get deeper in the travel or while railing turns, it has a faster feel to it. When really pushing through technical rocky sections the SB66 suspension really reacts perfectly and give it a big advantage. When I get over my head or find myself getting int a section too fast the SB66 stays planted and allows me to rail out of the section, rather than brake lose momentum. There's only one other trail frame I've tried that has the DH chops that the Yeti does, the hard to find Knolly Chilcontin, but I still prefer the Yeti.

Don't get caught up in the 10mm difference in travel, 7mm actually. The Yeti switch suspension is very efficient and allows you to get deep into the travel without ramping up too harshly. It's usable right to the very end.

My aluminum SB66 is built pretty beefy and still only weighs 28 pounds.