Thread: Sb-66 Question.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Sb-66 Question.

I am looking at some different options for my Sb-66, I currently have it set up stock pro level 2012. I was thinking about putting a Fox 36 vanilla RLC front fork, Mavic Crossmax SL wheelset and Race face Atlas bars on. Could anyone please give me some pro/cons of the stock set up vs the set up I am contemplating putting on I currently ride mostly AM with some light downhill on weekends.

Mr. Knowitall
    Fork: experience from people I know and myself is that BOS Deville or Rock Shox Lyrik RC2DH are far better forks than the Vanilla.
    Wheels: You make a burly big boy stepup on fork and bars, but go weight weenie on the wheels? What about the Syntace W35MX? Mavic is not known for very wide rims, which is a really good advantage on harder riding with bigger tires.
    Bars: if you have the cash, I would look at Synctace Vector, Easton Havoc Carbon or similar strong but light carbon bars.

mtbr member
    I am running 36 Talas Fit RC2. I am really pleased I have the talas option as at 160mm the front end can be light on steep technical climbs. I am running stem very low too (only 1x5mm spacer below Renthal stem and low rise Renthal bar.)
    Steed: Yeti SB-66

Support the Air Ambulance service in your region you never know when you might need it...

mtbr member
    Go SX on the crossmax wheels!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariben123 View Post
    I am looking at some different options for my Sb-66, I currently have it set up stock pro level 2012. I was thinking about putting a Fox 36 vanilla RLC front fork, Mavic Crossmax SL wheelset and Race face Atlas bars on. Could anyone please give me some pro/cons of the stock set up vs the set up I am contemplating putting on I currently ride mostly AM with some light downhill on weekends.
    for sure you need SX or at least ST wheelset instead of SL

maviczack
    If you're doing any DH on weekends at all, light or otherwise, I would 2nd the opinion that Crossmax SX are the way to go. the SLRs are quite durable but I can virtually guarantee you'll be happier with the wider, heavier duty SX wheels.

Hey guys FYI - I've been popping in here and there on MTBR to answer questions and stuff. However for the future, Jeff Lenosky is going to take over for me in the next month or so. He's been on Mavic forever and knows as much or more than me. I'm not going away entirely but look for Jeff to arrive soon!
    thanks - z