Thread: sb-66 question

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

sb-66 question

Hello folks

A question for sb-66 owners. I test rode one today. It certainly climbs very well and the longer one soaks everything nicely. a medium is very flickable. However on a large drop the big made a large noise.

Is the switch system kicking in?

Any response appreachiated.

James

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Two tone View Post
    Hello folks

A question for sb-66 owners. I test rode one today. It certainly climbs very well and the longer one soaks everything nicely. a medium is very flickable. However on a large drop the big made a large noise.

Is the switch system kicking in?

Any response appreachiated.

James
    the switch is always on and is working great.there should'nt be any noise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ok strange and thanks I could put it down chain slap but it I think it sound different.

Thanks for the confirmation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sorry, yes I understand it's always on what I meant was moving backward.

As I believe the principle invokes it moving forward and then back if required.

But still i accept your answer. Thanks

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Two tone View Post
    Sorry, yes I understand it's always on what I meant was moving backward.

As I believe the principle invokes it moving forward and then back if required.

But still i accept your answer. Thanks
    The pivot rotates one way, then the other during suspension compression. It's a bearing(s) and should be silent. You must be hearing something else.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    For what its worth, I haven't ridden mine yet, but when I test rode the Sb66 originally it did make some rather unsettling noises going off of drops and jumps, but I think it may be chain slap. This should be solved if you run a chainguide or at the very least a rear mech that keeps better tension than the stock (xt or x9 on the mid level builds). Just a thought but, I think the reason the sound may be so noticeable (a kin to sound of chain slap on many dh bikes) is the diameter and construction of the chain stay on the sb, which being very overbuilt allows for a pretty good reverberation to be produced by chain slap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by focotacoma View Post
    For what its worth, I haven't ridden mine yet, but when I test rode the Sb66 originally it did make some rather unsettling noises going off of drops and jumps, but I think it may be chain slap. This should be solved if you run a chainguide or at the very least a rear mech that keeps better tension than the stock (xt or x9 on the mid level builds). Just a thought but, I think the reason the sound may be so noticeable (a kin to sound of chain slap on many dh bikes) is the diameter and construction of the chain stay on the sb, which being very overbuilt allows for a pretty good reverberation to be produced by chain slap.
    Yeah dude it was actually me bottoming out the shock. Need to get a retune on it.

mtbr member
    For those seating on the fence, seat no more. This is the real thing.