mtbr member
    Sep 2009

SB-66 Medium or large? (with pic)

I plan to buy a Sb-66 soon and I cant decide if I should get a med or a large. I dont have any dealers near me but I did recently go to a shop in Denver that only had a medium It felt great but wasnt sure if it was a little to small for me. Im 5'-9 1/2" heres a pic of me on it. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SB-66 Medium or large? (with pic)-img_0320.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Large IMO

mtbr member
    Definitly Medium, but you better call Yeti CS just in case (I am 5,10 and demoed and ordered a med).
    How long was the stem?, cause looking again at the photo you got me confused

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Not sure about the length of the stem. Why are you confused?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Yeti website says 5'7" to 5'11" for a medium.

Best, John

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty View Post
    Definitly Medium, but you better call Yeti CS just in case (I am 5,10 and demoed and ordered a med).
    How long was the stem?, cause looking again at the photo you got me confused
    We love to talk to our customers, but on issues like this you're much better off talking to the dealer.

It's 100% impossible to fit a bike over the phone, other than to just tell you to look at the guidelines on our website for sizing based on your height.

FYI,

JP
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

mtbr member
    I am your height and considered the small and medium, though I was always pretty sure the medium would be perfect - and it is. No way I would consider a large. The seat tube would be too tall for a dropper post and the reach would be too long - I am running a 50mm stem on my medium.

zombie freerider
    pretty much a repeat of dogboy - 5'10" on a med w/ 50 stem. even thought about a size small but it fits great.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10" no shoes, 5'11" w/biking shoes w/34" inseam (215lb rider weight) and ride medium with 50mm stem as well. My seat is jacked up to at least 10" of exposed seatpost (top of clamp to rails) on the long climbs, then slammed to about 3.75-3.5" for all the descents even with flat section and short climbs cause the bike pedals the trail so well. Even just recently got rid of my adj. seatpost (been a user for almost 6yrs now - two GD's, Reverb, KS) and doing normal rides faster than ever before (both up and down). The bike feels just about perfect for me with being able to ride it as hard and fast as I like with fixed 160 fork at 32lbs! Love this bike for all things trail and AM riding!

FWIW, I could of went large, especially if using bike for mostly XC/trail riding only, but reach would of still been way too long for me. The medium with 160 fork is long enough for me at 24.3" and could of still went with a 35 or 40mm stem with saddle back some (Saddle is currently all the way forward at max position on medium w/50 stem).

This bike has been the most fun AM bike I have owned and ridden to date in the past 10yrs
    Last edited by jgusta; 01-14-2012 at 11:23 PM.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    im 5' 8" 31 inch inside leg, ive got a small sb66 feels perfect for me i found the medium stretched me out a bit to much!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    thanks for all the replies Im ordering a medium in white.

mtbr member
    I say Its up to you how you feel on it, Yeti's site said i should have a Med , I am right Between a SM/MD But went with a Small Because my Old Klein Was a Mid and after testing a SM 575 it just fit...

BTW Nice Place to test ride at Wheat Ridge Cyclery.. Check you PM Box !!
    Last edited by YETI_Chris; 01-16-2012 at 11:22 AM.
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I need help here guys.
    The more I read about SB66 TT etc the more I am hesitant about my sizing.

I am 186-188cm (6'1 or 6'2) with inseam (not measured too accurately) 32". My torso is not very long but my arms are (basketball).
    I never tried an SB and mighty afraid of ordering a large and finding it uncomfortable/big. And vice versa for a medium. Do you guys have advice for me?

PS. sorry for hijacking the thread - but I am sure people have had enough of SB66 sizing threads so far

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muell View Post
    thanks for all the replies Im ordering a medium in white.
    Cool. LBS just got a white med SB66 in, and looks great!

One thing to consider if you haven't already, is that by going wider in the bars, it helps to stretch things at at bit especially you plan to go 50mm stem or shorter. I am using 760mm bars which spreads me out nicely with shorty stem and do a lot of tight, general trail riding on it with lots of trees to dodge and it's totally fine. Anything wider, might be bit of a stretch though, even though wide bars do feel great in the open high speed sections for added stability.
    Ride On!

bog
    mtbr member
    You're definitely into a L frame with your height and arm length. I'm 6'5" with a 34" inseam and my XL fits like a glove with a 65mm stem. The long TT and short stem puts me into a great climbing position and the short stem and Reverb post make the downhills a blast.

Looking at the picture above I'd say that the OP is bordering on a L frame with a short stem. Having your arms and upper body too vertical like that reduces your stability on the bike and tires out your muscles more quickly. It also puts too much weight on the back of the bike which reduces front tire traction. I longer stem and/or wider bars can help balance this out but the correct frame size is most important.
    SC Tallboy C : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL DA9070

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mahrous View Post
    I need help here guys.
    The more I read about SB66 TT etc the more I am hesitant about my sizing.

I am 186-188cm (6'1 or 6'2) with inseam (not measured too accurately) 32". My torso is not very long but my arms are (basketball).
    I never tried an SB and mighty afraid of ordering a large and finding it uncomfortable/big. And vice versa for a medium. Do you guys have advice for me?

PS. sorry for hijacking the thread - but I am sure people have had enough of SB66 sizing threads so far
    You will be more comfortable on a large. I'm 5' 11'' with a 31 inseam which isn't that long for my height, and 35 inch sleeves. I'm on a large and it is perfect - I'd be pissed if I had gotten a medium.