mtbr member
    Jun 2012

SB-66 alloy derailleur hanger bends too easily?

I've bent 5 derailleur hangers on my alloy SB-66 in just a few months of riding. A couple were from crashes where the hanger probably should have bent, but the rest are a mystery. Maybe I bumped the derailleur lightly enough that I didn't notice it. Anyone else having this problem? It's getting expensive.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I've "whanged" the hanger on my '95 a couple times, side-ways rock hits, crashes, whatever.

I've had to straighten it once but I haven't had to replace it yet.

Sorry to hear about your pain. That's irritating to be sure.

HAHA PWN
    Maybe this is for you? I know some of the 2013 Yeti's are coming with these.

Key Bike Makers Discuss Shimano's New Direct-Mount Rear Derailleur Option - Video by RichardCunningham - Pinkbike

I Like Bicycles
    I just always make sure I never rest my bike on the dérailleur side. I haven't bent a hanger in years, SB66 included.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I've had to replace mine once. Probably the result of one of many crashes. I'm assuming they make the hangers soft on purpose to prevent damage to the bike. Also not likely you got five faulty parts.

mtbr member
    As they explained it to me when I got my 5, you can replace the hanger or go with a much stronger one and replace the rear triangle. I went with a new hanger and haven't had a problem since that first replacement a couple of years ago now.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BobGolden View Post
    As they explained it to me when I got my 5, you can replace the hanger or go with a much stronger one and replace the rear triangle. I went with a new hanger and haven't had a problem since that first replacement a couple of years ago now.
    Winner. Hanger wayyyyy cheaper than rear triangle. Have replaced the hanger on my SB-95 once in 2,800 hard, central Texas off road miles.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Get a derailleur hanger adjustment tool: Park Tool Co. » DAG-2 : Derailleur Hanger Alignment Gauge : Frame & Fork Tools

Super easy to use, takes the guesswork out of getting the drivetrain running smoothly. I've straightened some pretty bent hangers wit it.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ejhorn View Post
    Get a derailleur hanger adjustment tool: Park Tool Co. » DAG-2 : Derailleur Hanger Alignment Gauge : Frame & Fork Tools

Super easy to use, takes the guesswork out of getting the drivetrain running smoothly. I've straightened some pretty bent hangers wit it.
    Good call- reality is that even new, you should put a hanger adjustment tool on the hanger as soon as you put it in; almost always have to make minor adjustments, which makes the bike shift so much better.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bacon Jr View Post
    Good call- reality is that even new, you should put a hanger adjustment tool on the hanger as soon as you put it in; almost always have to make minor adjustments, which makes the bike shift so much better.
    Quoted for truth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by barcolounger View Post
    I've bent 5 derailleur hangers on my alloy SB-66 in just a few months of riding. A couple were from crashes where the hanger probably should have bent, but the rest are a mystery. Maybe I bumped the derailleur lightly enough that I didn't notice it. Anyone else having this problem? It's getting expensive.
    Hi, I had the same problem and I solved buying one of those :
    yeti Derailleur Hangers

the 335 hanger is for the yeti SB-66 and it is stronger as the original one!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tmasi View Post
    Hi, I had the same problem and I solved buying one of those :
    yeti Derailleur Hangers

the 335 hanger is for the yeti SB-66 and it is stronger as the original one!
    Not an apples to apples comp - I used to bend my 575 hanger once a month it seems (large cage 3x9 rear mech), then went to a 2x10 with medium cage rear mech, haven't bent one yet. Moved the drive train to my new SB66c, no bent hangers in six months of riding.

Not too many crashes yet, but lots of off-trail riding through sticks and rocks.

dave
    08 575
    12 SB66c

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    was going to start a thread with this exact same problem

ive been through a dozen bikes and NOT A SINGLE Damaged hanger over the years

but I have had an SB66 alloy for just 6 months and ive been through 3 hangers

those hangers are made of butter !!!!!

first one was a mystery, 2nd one was a minor OTB, 3rd one wad when i leaned the bike on a wall...and it fell over driveside

tried to salvage the bent ones with a proper park tool hanger alignment tool...but it was a ***** to use...and i ended up just breakin 2 of the hangers. 3rd one was good

seems like the yeti hangers dont like getting realigned as they snap and break through the 2 small bolt holes of the chip system.

and at $50 a pop (Australian dollars) its becoming a joke......

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

A Theory

I think Yeti engineers fell asleep at the wheel. The hanger contains plenty of metal, but not where it counts. Hangers on other bikes look much stronger when it comes to a side impact. Here's my "evidence".

SB-66 alloy derailleur hanger bends too easily?-hanger-side-2.jpgSB-66 alloy derailleur hanger bends too easily?-hanger-side-1.jpgSB-66 alloy derailleur hanger bends too easily?-hanger-front.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I went through 3 of them last season on my SB66.

Agree, they could be stronger.

Agree, glad they broke instead of whacking out the frame.

Relatively cheap to replace. They never seem to break spontaneously, after all.

I always carry a spare in my pack...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I broke one in Moab which wasnt to unexpected. However to my bad luck the derailleur got caught in the wheel, bent some spokes, broke the derailleur, and bent 3 links in the chain. I replaced the hanger got back to my normal riding and noticed the new hanger was bent and slightly cracked 2 wks later. We used a vice to bend it back and I figured I ride it for a little longer until it breaks completely. It's held up like that for a month so far.