Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

RWC Enduro needle bearings on SB-66?

Anyone running these and did it affect the suspension positively or negatively at all? I'm aleady got some play in my rear shock eyelet bushing after only two months and condering these.

Thx,
    JG
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm running a needle roller. I wouldn't say it affects suspension action much, but if your bushings have worn I suggest you check out all your bearings. A sticky bearing on one side may be causing some twist in the link and be promoting premature wear.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Mr. Knowitall
    I have one lying in my closet waiting for me to have time to have it installed.

I will install it on the rear eyelet only, as this is where there is the most movement. I hope it will make it a tiny bit more sensitive, but time will show. I do not think I will install it until the spring, as I will try it back to back with the bushing to see if I actually have some benefits, and now it is snow and cold, making suspension work sub par anyway.

petercarm: which size did you go for? I got the 22.85mm and some shims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by petercarm View Post
    I'm running a needle roller. I wouldn't say it affects suspension action much, but if your bushings have worn I suggest you check out all your bearings. A sticky bearing on one side may be causing some twist in the link and be promoting premature wear.

Thanks! Good suggestion.

I figure it would be worthwhile to go with the needle roller just to eliminate the DU bushing and should last much longer. On my last bike, I had to replace the eyelet bushing every 2-3 months, sometimes sooner if riding hard in really rocky terrain due to all the stiction in the system. Would of got a needle roller for that bike, but RWC doesn't make one for the Manitou Evolver ISX-6 shock I was running on my Banshee.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    NBKRWC2220 this is the kit to order for the SB66,,, i was advised by Chris of RWR via email.... it will fit both end of the RP23 Kashima rear shock ...

hope this helps i just ordered mine!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelvinkok View Post
    NBKRWC2220 this is the kit to order for the SB66,,, i was advised by Chris of RWR via email.... it will fit both end of the RP23 Kashima rear shock ...

hope this helps i just ordered mine!!
    Thanks for posting this info from RWC, but a little confused since I contacted Yeti a couple of weeks ago and asked them what size for the SB-66 since the RWC site only lists bearing kits for the ASR-7 sizing. Yeti said that the same sizing for the ASR-7 should work at 21.85mm (2185 kit), but that they don't have any experience/feedback with the needle bearings kits on the SB and couldn't comment any further. My LBS, just installed another DU bushing for me to use for the time being, but I still plan to go to the bearing kits since I only got 2 months out of a bushing previously.

So, Yeti or others that have used the needle bearing kit on the SB, what kit officially is it, 2185 or 2220?

Thx.
    Ride On!

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    So, Yeti or others that have used the needle bearing kit on the SB, what kit officially is it, 2185 or 2220?

Thx.
    I could have told you if the 2185 would fit, but unfortunately I do not want to try it before the weather is warmer and suspension fluid runs like normal. Hope a head to head test shows that I actually will benefit from the rollers.

As far as i can see from the exploded view in the SB-66 manual, the original reducers are 22mm, and the 2220 needle bearing is 22.2mm. Therefore I went for the 2185 and shims.

bog
    mtbr member
    I measured my SB-66 with digital calipers and it measures under 22mm. I also tried some 22.2 two piece bushings from my Monarch Plus and I'd have to pound them in or spread the tabs a bit. I'll be ordering the 21.85 kit for mine.
    SC Tallboy C : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL DA9070

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    I measured my SB-66 with digital calipers and it measures under 22mm. I also tried some 22.2 two piece bushings from my Monarch Plus and I'd have to pound them in or spread the tabs a bit. I'll be ordering the 21.85 kit for mine.
    I put my micrometer on the bushings that I took out to replace with my needle roller kit. These were not original but had been replaced by Mojo (UK Fox agent) after the first bushing failed. My needle roller kit was the BETD kit that is marketed as being for Specialized 22mm fitting. I'll be taking it apart tonight to measure it up.

the dimensions of the gap in the link will be dependent on the tightening of the swingarm against the linkage at the upper pivot location. I disregard the Yeti instructions on torque and instead tighten this upper link until the gap fits the shock bushing with a firm sliding fit. This should minimise distortion in this area and give the bearings and bushing the greatest chance of a long service life.

It appears that Yeti specify an angular contact bearing at this upper pivot. In my opinion, the linkage is inadequately stiff and a roller bearing installation will reduce stabilising contact area at the shock mounting further still. Yeti have obviously chosen their compromise based on their testing, but in the muddy conditions we get in the UK this is an arrangement that leads to seized upper bearings because the slightest contamination with grit leads to the bearing not moving and the movement being transferred to the pivot pin instead. It wouldn't be impossible to engineer this pivot to support the bearings in a more robust manner and provide improved weather protection.

In many areas the SB66 frame shows signs of not having been designed for muddy environments. The number of mud traps in the switch linkage and swingarm area show as much. It isn't the easiest bike to keep running smoothly through a muddy British winter. Four out of eight of the bearings have no weather protection apart from the bearing seals themselves, with no opportunity to pack with protective grease.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Sorry to derail this thread slightly, but...

I've just replaced all the bearings on my '08 575 and I noticed when putting it all back together how stiff the top bushing is on the shock.
    I've seen these needle bearings before and just wondered if when fitted, is there any side to side play?

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My needle roller setup measures at 22.2mm.

Mr. Knowitall
    Bollocks. Sitting here with my bike in pieces, trying to reassemble it. I have noe idea how! I tried to reassemble the thing, and I could not put the thing together. I have the 2185 kit, and I measured the rear linkage to 21mm. AND I measured the bushings and reducers I originally had, and they measured 22mm. How do I put it back together? Seems the tolerances are not up to good standards. Shame.

Mr. Knowitall
    False alarm. Had to loosen the entire rear linkage to get everything to fit well. Now it is back in order.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My lbs fitted my 2220 kit and it fits perfectly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelvinkok View Post
    My lbs fitted my 2220 kit and it fits perfectly
    Thanks, that goods to know. I already got rear shock play again on 2nd bushing replacement after only 4months on the SB. So, definitely finally going with the needle bearing kit this time instead. Probably go with the 2200 as well, since Enduro makes a cheaper version kit that is not as pretty for only $9.00 in only 2200 size (no 2185 or 2000), compared to $35 with the RWC ones. Rear shock bushings are rubbish on this bike.
    Ride On!

bog
    mtbr member
    Thanks, that goods to know. I already got rear shock play again on 2nd bushing replacement after only 4months on the SB. So, definitely finally going with the needle bearing kit this time instead. Probably go with the 2200 as well, since Enduro makes a cheaper version kit that is not as pretty for only $9.00 in only 2200 size (no 2185 or 2000), compared to $35 with the RWC ones. Rear shock bushings are rubbish on this bike.
    Just curious, were you using the Fox 2 piece hardware or aftermarket 3 piece?

Thanks,
    Ken

mtbr member
    Just curious, were you using the Fox 2 piece hardware or aftermarket 3 piece?

Thanks,
    Ken
    Whatever came with the bike and Fox RP23? Fox 2-piece I imagine. LOVE this bike for the kind of riding I like to do and even satisfied with the RP23 on it, just the bushings are not lasting that long for me at all and only ride about 3x/wk max of 30-50 miles tops, but kind of ride a bit hard when I do. I think this last bushing went just from my week long trip to Sedona I did a few weeks ago, since I replaced it just before I left on trip.

This the Enduro kit I just ordered locally in a M8x22.0 size for only $9. Hope it works.
    Universal Cycles -- Enduro Rear Shock Needle Bearing Kits
    Ride On!

bog
    mtbr member
    Hopefully the needles will work out for you. If they don't, you should have good luck with a 3 piece hardware kit. They provide the most solid, tightest shock pivot interface and tend to last quite a long time. They won't be quite as smooth as the needles but still work really well.

mtbr member
    Hopefully the needles will work out for you. If they don't, you should have good luck with a 3 piece hardware kit. They provide the most solid, tightest shock pivot interface and tend to last quite a long time. They won't be quite as smooth as the needles but still work really well.
    What's the 3-piece hardware set?
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    What's the 3-piece hardware
    Also known as heavy duty mount kits.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/moun..._bushings.aspx

bog
    mtbr member
    There are a few versions of the 3pc kicking around now. My Monarch Plus came with the RS version and they're quite nice and smooth.
    I also picked up a set from Suspensionwerx for my Tallboy

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi, I just went through second DU bushing for the rear shock mount. It needs replacement.

Trying to decide between the Marzocchi 3-piece hardware or RWC Enduro Needles for the RP23. Should I go with something with seals or no seals (Ride moon dust trails as well as PNW slop when i get to go home)? Any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I had 3-piece on my old bike (Titus Quasi-Moto) for a bunch of years, rode in all kinds of conditions, and basically got to only needing a new DU bushing annually.

The bike had high-leverage (2.95:1) and a fair amount of rotation at the rear pin (over 30d I think).

The RWC rollers made it noticeably more supple, if the pin on the '66 rotates significantly I can see it being a good benefit. The current RWC kits (the expensive ones) come with two inner sleeves to help make sure there is a no-slop fit once it's all bolted together.

FWIW, I'm getting a '95 this summer, and I plan to put the cheaper 3-piece kit in soon as I get the bike. Doesn't look like there's much rotation at all on the ends of the shock on that bike so I think the RWC kit would be overkill/wasted monies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuitbiker View Post
    Hi, I just went through second DU bushing for the rear shock mount. It needs replacement.

Trying to decide between the Marzocchi 3-piece hardware or RWC Enduro Needles for the RP23. Should I go with something with seals or no seals (Ride moon dust trails as well as PNW slop when i get to go home)? Any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance.
    Fox has a "heavy duty" DU kit available now for that particular bike/shock. I believe it's a 3-piece kit that's suppose to last much longer than the standard ones.

I have been on my SB w/Rp23 for about 5 months and have worn two stock FOX DU's in first 4 months. Went to an Enduro needle kit (little different than the RWC) and only lasted about 1 month before a bit of play/wear returned (even with seals) and the needle kit doesn't feel as smooth as the stock Fox for some reason. If I were you, I would get a LBS to get you the "heavy duty" Fox kit. That's what I am waiting for, but had to put another standard DU in the meantime as I didn't want to damage my shock with the increasing play with prior kit.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the reply and information.

For anyone who is looking the Fox Kit is # 80303088 (called "3-Piece-Reducer Kit").

Fox has a "heavy duty" DU kit available now for that particular bike/shock. I believe it's a 3-piece kit that's suppose to last much longer than the standard ones.

I have been on my SB w/Rp23 for about 5 months and have worn two stock FOX DU's in first 4 months. Went to an Enduro needle kit (little different than the RWC) and only lasted about 1 month before a bit of play/wear returned (even with seals) and the needle kit doesn't feel as smooth as the stock Fox for some reason. If I were you, I would get a LBS to get you the "heavy duty" Fox kit. That's what I am waiting for, but had to put another standard DU in the meantime as I didn't want to damage my shock with the increasing play with prior kit.
    Last edited by Inuitbiker; 04-30-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast