surly inbred

RP3 to RP23 or PUSH?

Interested in feedback from those who can offer a direct comparo between the RP3 & RP23. With SS season approaching it's almost time for a 575 overhaul. Is the added performance of the new shock all that? For around $300 it may be a good upgrade and offer me a back-up. For half the price, PUSH can cater to me & my needs... nice deal. I would like to gain a more noticeable range of ProPedal with a bit higher high & lower low.

Also, I have an '05 RP3 which like many others', suffers from floppy lever syndrome. Can PUSH cure this with the rest of their magic?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ride both and feel no difference in the two in similar settings. I don't fiddle too much but for Fiddlers (the non-musical kind) the RP23 is nice. They don't feel any different at all to me and I ride them both frequently. It's nice to have a backup shock. Wait for more 575 PUSH owners to chime in before doing it.

If they report positive results, then get your RP3 PUSHED and pick up a Float R as a backup. You can get them pretty cheap on Ebay.

If PUSH shocks are not working magic on the 575's suspension, then get a RP23 and keep your RP3 as a backup.

mtbr member

To PUSH or ?

I am in a similar situation, I'm thinking about send my '05 RP3 to PUSH. I'm not considering the RP23 mostly because of cost, and I can't imagine it would be that much different. The propedal settings on my RP3, while not that discernable from each other, don't bother me too much because I like the way the bike climbs. What I don't like is how easily the bike bottoms and uses all of its travel on hits that aren't that big when I run 25% sag. Any less sag and the rear feels really harsh; even at 25% it's not that plush. I'm hoping that PUSH can add more compression damping throughout the range to prevent bottoming and the wallowy feeling that comes from using lots of travel on every dip in the trail. Any input would be appreciated.

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I ride both and feel no difference in the two in similar settings.
    Interesting.

Fiddler, I am not. I like the simplicity of the RP3 but long for a bit more performance from it. My nit with the RP23 is the PP on/off switch... not needed given the 575 design. I've fired off a note to PUSH with a number of questions.

mtbr member
    I plan on getting my Fox Float RL Push'd this winter for the exact same reasons as JustMtnB44.

Who is John Galt?
    Please post whatever Push sends you, maybe we can get a group rate! This weekend my shock started dieing, I can only run it locked out or it bottoms on the smallest bump. If Fox won't give me a new one (already sent it back once) I am going to hav it pushed.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    Please post whatever Push sends you, maybe we can get a group rate! This weekend my shock started dieing, I can only run it locked out or it bottoms on the smallest bump. If Fox won't give me a new one (already sent it back once) I am going to hav it pushed.
    Big Jim Mac,
    I recommend you pick up a spare shock, so when one is off being serviced you can just swap the other one in. I keep my original 5th Air as a backup to the Fox. Santa Cruz is blowing out their Progressive shocks for $99 and I think the Blur uses the same size shock as the 575.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yup, nothing like having a backup shock for peace of mind. The deals at Santa Cruz are amazing.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Yeah seems like the Blur uses a 7.875" eye to eye x 2" stroke shock. The 5th elements are out of stock, but the Swinger 3 way is still there

mtbr member
    Hmm, I'm not sure the shock mounting hardware will work with the Swinger. It looks similar to the Fox though.

Yeah.. I have no idea... I just went to the santa cruz site to see what the fuzz on $99 shocks was... as I said the 5ths are sold out, so the only alternative at that price is the Swinger... who knows, maybe somebody will take a chance on one of those :P

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    No disrespect to PUSH but I noticed a negative affect after PUSHing my PR3. I notice much more bob now over stock RP3. In all fairness to PUSH I really need to send my shock back for them to rework. They reworked the Float on my Spec. Enduro a few years ago with excellent results.

Sorry no experience with the RP23.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

Who is John Galt?
    I saw that SC shock blow out. Anyone certain these fit the 575?

BTW, I called Full Cycles, Will is sending me a new RP3 with dogbone attached so all I have to do is bolt it on and return the lemon. Now that's service!
    What, me hurry?

Schipperkes are cool.
    FOX RP23 Good stuff! Rules over the RP3 by far!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

Now that is great service!

Way to go Will & Full Cycles! I hope I will never need their help, but this makes me happy I bought my frame from them

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Will and Gary are such good guys!!

Just check the shock size on the Yeti site and make sure. $99 is WELL below cost on those for regular dealers. It's so worth having it as a backup.

EDIT- I checked as well and it's the same shock- 7.875 x 2" stroke. I have a new Float R in that size and it fits my Ventana though I have not had to use it yet. Every other bike I buy will have to use that size shock or it's out of the running

The Swinger 3 way is a good deal and normally goes for $250 - $300. It's a pretty good shock too.
    Last edited by Flyer; 10-18-2006 at 06:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Interesting...I saw this post by Darren from PUSH and he talks about a customer with a 575 getting his RP23 tuned:

3. Third image from far left. 225lbs on a Yeti 575 with Fox Float RP23. The shock was purchased aftermarket from his dealer becasue h didn't like the way the lever on his stock RP3 would sometimes get knocked out of the (+) position when he rode. The idea of the new RP23's positive detent on the Propedal lever and broader propedal range was a big selling point for him. Because of his positive experience in getting on the RP23 he know wants to eek out a little more firmness in the the middle of the stroke as well. By installing our Bottoming kit in his RP23, we alter the air volume slightly to increase the progressiveness of the shock through the middle of the stroke and provide an additional bottoming assist to the air spring curve.
    This sounds exactly like what I want to do...firm-up the mid range a little.

The complete message can be found here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...86#post2749486

mtbr member
    My only complaint with the RP3 was that the lever would often get knocked out of position. I like the way the RP23 is designed.

I've only ridden my RP23 a handful of times, but my initial impressions are that the #3 (firm) setting is a bit more firm than that of the RP3. When climbing with the RP3, I would run it in the firm setting and I could still feel some suspension movement, but with the new RP23, the middle setting seems adequately firm and the #3 setting seems almost too firm.

But that's just my initial impressions after only a few rides, and I'm not sure if I've dialed in the pressure yet.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

trail "cleaner"

Agree....

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    No disrespect to PUSH but I noticed a negative affect after PUSHing my PR3. I notice much more bob now over stock RP3. In all fairness to PUSH I really need to send my shock back for them to rework. They reworked the Float on my Spec. Enduro a few years ago with excellent results.

Sorry no experience with the RP23.
    My '05 RP3 that's been 'Pushed' certainly has more of "Bob" in it vs. my '06 stock RP3. This is with the lever in 'firmest' position. One the other side of the coin.... with the lever in the 'plush' mode... the "Pushed" shock feels smoother on the fast decents. Guess you can't have the best of both worlds...
    No dabs allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    My '05 RP3 that's been 'Pushed' certainly has more of "Bob" in it vs. my '06 stock RP3. This is with the lever in 'firmest' position. One the other side of the coin.... with the lever in the 'plush' mode... the "Pushed" shock feels smoother on the fast decents. Guess you can't have the best of both worlds...

I guess you should contact them for a retune as mtnfiend said.... I have read on other threads that they have "missed the target" on a tune, but they are always able to rectify things on a retune... free of charge from what I understand....

In my mind, I can do it!
    Remember: "Friends Don't Let Friends Ride Junk"

Quote: "Sometimes there just aren't enough rocks"
    - A Yeti Rider